JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anyone tried the RCBS swager that goes in the press like a die?

This one: RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2 - MPN: 09481

Seems like it should work pretty well.
I used to have one (used it on 30-06 cases).. didn't like it. You'd either destroy the case.. remove the crimp enough to accept a primer but then it'd just fall out.. or it wasn't removed enough until you destroyed it. lol
I cut them out with a pocket knife.

I used the rcbs press mounted swage and it worked ok but I think the Dillon and bench mounted rcbs had better results.

When I was loading on my 650 I would prime carefully and if the primer wasn't going in I would pull the case and take it to my rockchucker with that rcbs die unit then put it back in place and keep going. It was slow but I only had to swage 1/10 so not too bad. Eventually I bought a 1050 as well and can't say enough about it. Only thing I like better about the 650 with 223 is that you can feel the primer seat and can catch a loose pocket.

I've had the RCBS swage die for about 25 years. It has removed the crimp from thousands of cases over the years and is still going strong, works great. I think the Dillon swager is faster when doing a large quantity, but for me I like my old RCBS unit.

It can be a little fussy to adjust right. There is a slight radius at the bottom of the part that swages the primer pocket. If you adjust it so it goes too far in it can damage the brass. If you adjust it to where it doesn't go in enough it can leave a sharp edge that makes it hard to start a primer into the pocket.

By the way just an FYI, little pet peeve of mine: the correct terms are swage and swager, not swag and swagger. This isn't a criticism directed at anyone in particular; it's a super common mistake and not a big deal. Swage, swaging, and swager are machining/metalworking terms. Swag and swagger are something different entirely. :)

Like others here have mentioned, I have and use one if these. I've used the Dillon Super Swage as well. The Dillon is faster but not enough to justify the price (to my thinking anyway).

It takes a minute to set the swage depth as already mentioned, but then makes pretty quick work rom there.

I prefer a swage over a cutter as I feel there is far less chance of creating an oversized or too deep pocket.

I've had the RCBS swage die for about 25 years. It has removed the crimp from thousands of cases over the years and is still going strong, works great. I think the Dillon swager is faster when doing a large quantity, but for me I like my old RCBS unit.

It can be a little fussy to adjust right. There is a slight radius at the bottom of the part that swages the primer pocket. If you adjust it so it goes too far in it can damage the brass. If you adjust it to where it doesn't go in enough it can leave a sharp edge that makes it hard to start a primer into the pocket.

By the way just an FYI, little pet peeve of mine: the correct terms are swage and swager, not swag and swagger. This isn't a criticism directed at anyone in particular; it's a super common mistake and not a big deal. Swage, swaging, and swager are machining/metalworking terms. Swag and swagger are something different entirely. :)
The smart phones often change it to the incorrect spelling. Swager becomes swagger. Sometimes smart fones ain't so smart. :D

I started using the lyman case prep center, hands got tired. Switched to the Hornaday swaging kit for the ammo plant, much better. I found I had to set it a like deeper than the instructions indicated but haven't had an issue yet and I've done a few thou.

The smart phones often change it to the incorrect spelling. Swager becomes swagger. Sometimes smart fones ain't so smart. :D
Ah, that makes sense. I don't know how many times I've sent unintelligible texts, before I learned that I need to watch out for spell check automatically changing the words as I type them. My wife has a couple of really funny ones I've sent her over the years that she's kept for a laugh.

for years and several thousand primer crimped Brass .223 . with also loading on the hot side for Vel. for the norm. . I just chuck-up a 60 deg. cutter in the lathe and it really fast 'Easy' to remove the swedge overflow sitting on the top Lip of the primer pocket . don't 'over think it' , Grab Brass and cut, and throw in the bucket, load, shoot it .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top