JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I use a RCBS pocket swagger but I may need to do something else. I prepped 1,000 rounds of 5.56 but when installing the primers I noticed some went in good, some were difficult and some would not go in at all. Some stuck half way in and jammed the Dillion. I spent a good amount of time clearing the jams. Maybe I was just having a bad day.

There's a cutting head RCBS makes that just cuts the crimp out. I've used the one for small primer pockets to cut the military crimp out of a lot of 9mm cases. Worked like a charm. Mounted it on the Lyman prep center.

There's a cutting head RCBS makes that just cuts the crimp out. I've used the one for small primer pockets to cut the military crimp out of a lot of 9mm cases. Worked like a charm. Mounted it on the Lyman prep center.
Doesn't work well IMO. Had one for my Frankford prep center.

I found the RCBS bench mounted swagger to work better. I had to adjust to the right amount of pressure but works fine now.

I sold my Dillon swagger last spring. Now I have a drill mounted reamer. I also have go/ no go gauges for the primer pocket. I found that I started having trouble with seating primers . This was after using a uniformer. I picked up a Lee bench mounted primer and hope these improvements will yield properly seated primers.

I use the Dillon swage 600 for 223 and 30/06. First I size, swage and trim.
It then goes to the RCBS 5 station prep center. Primer pocket brush, flash hole debur,
primer pocket uniformer, chamfering and deburring. Primer pocket uniformer
is very important to seat the primer properly. IMHO:oops: A high primer can result in a slam fire
which can destroy a M1, M1A or AR and cause serious injuries.:eek::eek:

I found the RCBS bench mounted swagger to work better. I had to adjust to the right amount of pressure but works fine now.

That's what I was using before I accumulated enough .223 brass that I didn't have to prep staked primers anymore. It's a good capability to have but it's just not worth my time anymore to deal with crimped primer pockets.

Do not trim or cut away ANY brass from the cases. Potential weakening. Like already asked , does your crimp die have any adjustment? You swag, you do not cut to trim primer pockets. Just me. Objective.

Respectfully.

Very good thinking. I have various batches with different degrees of accuracy and end uses. I hope my next .223/556 loadings will yield desirable effects for long term storage. The bolt action still likes the old ammo. My AR seems to leave me with cases that show some defects in the bases. I hope my primer pocket go/no go gauges will add to my uniformity and reliability.

Do not trim or cut away ANY brass from the cases. Potential weakening. Like already asked , does your crimp die have any adjustment? You swag, you do not cut to trim primer pockets. Just me. Objective.

Respectfully.
Interesting? I have always trimmed rifle brass that measures too long? Not trimming
prevents the round from chambering or chambering with much force. Not good.
Read about the potential catastrophic failure due to the too
long rifle brass crimping the bullet in effect.:eek::eek:
I use a primer pocket uniformer the first time on all 223, 308 and 30/06.
FYI:cool: I do not crimp any rifle loads. Crimping decreases accuracy. I shoot
thousands of rounds per year in competition. M1 , M1A and mostly ARs.
SLAM FIRE:eek::eek::eek:
1443670445-AB3A2764-o.jpg
upload_2017-11-23_1-3-32.jpeg

Do not trim or cut away ANY brass from the cases. Potential weakening.
This is a first - how does TRIMMING brass to the PROPER length potentially weaken it? Trimming is an ESSENTIAL part of the reloading process (especially for rifle brass) And just a hint but a quick twist with an RCBS deburring tool in the primer pocket of military brass removes the crimp and does nothing to 'weaken' it.

This is a first - how does TRIMMING brass to the PROPER length potentially weaken it? Trimming is an ESSENTIAL part of the reloading process (especially for rifle brass) And just a hint but a quick twist with an RCBS deburring tool in the primer pocket of military brass removes the crimp and does nothing to 'weaken' it.
I think he was talking only about the primer pockets. Removing material instead of just forcing it back into the pocket to reform it. Just a guess, but that's the way I read it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top