JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.41 Magnum Versus 10㎜ Auto

• Make mine a .41 Magnum.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Prefer the 10㎜ Auto.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Still, How does this "limit an application"? Perhaps "application" is our sticking point.
Sigh....... that should have been more than enough info to get my point across. They don't play well in magazines, not having access to a reliable magazine fed firearm limits your potential effective applications.

Sigh....... that should have been more than enough info to get my point across. They don't play well in magazines, not having access to a reliable magazine fed firearm limits your potential effective applications.
I would respectfully ask we dispense with the condescension.

Which "potential effective application" of the .41 Magnum cartridge would be limited by magazine feed problems?

Once again, "application" seems to be the turnscrew here. Since @TTSX's definition is still forthcoming, I'll supply mine:

To me, "application" when talking about a cartridge refers to how it is "applied". In other words, how is it used, to what purpose it is assigned.

At the risk of putting words in another's mouth, I'm guessing "application" to @TTSX means what guns can be found chambered in it. (My terms for that definition would have been "offerings" or "vehicles" or "choices of guns"). Yes, I would agree those are limited with the .41.

But its applications (by my definition) are not limited by any feature of its brass.

I sincerely hope this discussion does not deteriorate (unless it already has) into "magazines vs. cylinders". :cool:

Speaking only for myself here...

I have found that many , if not most of NWFA members who post regularly...
View owning firearms and shooting from a self defense viewpoint.
And not from a hunting or pure enjoyment viewpoint.

Not that either is "wrong"...or that one can have both or many different viewpoints for the why behind their shooting styles and choices.

However many times application is seen though the lens of self defense...and for self defense a very important application , so to speak , is the reliability of the cartridge to feed and fire...which may be the case with the "rim lock " discussion.
Andy

Not that either is "wrong"...or that one can have both or many different viewpoints for the why behind their shooting styles and choices.

However many times application is seen though the lens of self defense...and for self defense a very important application , so to speak , is the reliability of the cartridge to feed and fire...which may be the case with the "rim lock " discussion.
Andy
Well stated. Still, what does "rim lock" have to do with a .41 Magnum?. (Semi-auto's are nearly non-existent.) The cartridge exhibits all reliability in feeding and firing in the "offerings" it is found in for any "application": hunting, pleasure, or defense.

Andy
Fwiw from my perspective reliability directly impacts enjoyment of the gun. I don't own any guns that even have the faintest whiff of unreliability. I really don't like shooting unreliable guns at all. I don't even want to have them around. It's kind of like wearing a watch that doesn't work. If it can't perform it's basic function it has no value to me (excluding some sort of family or sentimental value if applicable). But the wide variety of well designed and reliable guns are a joy for me to own and shoot.

But hey, I wasn't the OP that asked the question and is now watching the dumpster fire :s0140:
I can't decide if I like .41 magnum or 10mm better. Therefore I am going to take my .44 black powder revolver which has a 45 LC conversion cylinder and buy a set of 9mm, .380 acp, 32 acp, and 22lr cartridge adapters. :confused::eek::s0121: :s0112:

9A8A425A-80C0-4771-BC60-736312987269.png

I can't decide if I like .41 magnum or 10mm better. Therefore I am going to take my .44 black powder revolver which has a 45 LC conversion cylinder and buy a set of 9mm, .380 acp, and 22lr cartridge adapters. :confused::eek::s0121:

View attachment 1830679
I like them both, which is why I'm getting my Ruger GP100 10mm cylinder reamed to 10mm Magnum.

This thread reminded me I've wanted to do that since getting the gun, now the feelers are out for someone to actually do it.

I like them both, which is why I'm getting my Ruger GP100 10mm cylinder reamed to 10mm Magnum.

This thread reminded me I've wanted to do that since getting the gun, now the feelers are out for someone to actually do it.
Interesting. I didn't even know they could do that.

One thing I'm curious about is the 45LC hot loads. Does one have to have a special 45 LC to handle those? I'm sure you don't want to shoot out of an old SAA but for modern revolvers I mean.

Comparing hottest loads of .41 magnum and 45 LC +P it looks like .41 magnum is 1050ish fpe, 45 LC +P is 1150ish fpe.

01311B31-60D1-461B-9B0B-A2605F4E22D1.jpeg
6F75809D-C68A-4EB2-87C5-D0BE6E2585AD.jpeg

Last Edited:
Interesting. I didn't even know they could do that.

One thing I'm curious about is the 45LC hot loads. Does one have to have a special 45 LC to handle those? I'm sure you don't want to shoot out of an old SAA but for modern revolvers I mean.

Comparing hottest loads of .41 magnum and 45 LC +P, .41 magnum 1050ish fpe, 45 LC +P is 1150ish fpe.

View attachment 1830693
View attachment 1830694
I think most of the hot 45LC loads are meant for the Ruger pistols.

Fwiw from my perspective reliability directly impacts enjoyment of the gun.
For me as well.
Be it a Flintlock I need to time and tune for it to work....
A percussion revolver that needs its internals smoothed by files and stones and sand paper....
Cartridges that refuse to feed or fire....
Any of those and more can make a firearm less enjoyable.
Andy