JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.41 Magnum Versus 10㎜ Auto

• Make mine a .41 Magnum.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Prefer the 10㎜ Auto.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Speaking only for myself here...

I have found that many , if not most of NWFA members who post regularly...
View owning firearms and shooting from a self defense viewpoint.
And not from a hunting or pure enjoyment viewpoint.

Not that either is "wrong"...or that one can have both or many different viewpoints for the why behind their shooting styles and choices.

However many times application is seen though the lens of self defense...and for self defense a very important application , so to speak , is the reliability of the cartridge to feed and fire...which may be the case with the "rim lock " discussion.
Andy
Self defense - check
Hunting - check
Pure enjoyment - check

YEAH put me down for all three. :s0115:

This is certainly an educational forum. I had never heard of the term "rim lock". I have a Desert Eagle in .44 Mag that I may just have to experiment with to see if I can cause that phenomenon intentionally. When I first got that pistol many years ago, I did have some jamming issues. I immediately regretted buying it despite the $600 sales price, including four extra magazines, extra springs, some ammo, and a locking pistol box. But later, when I was out shooting with my dad, it wasn't a jam-o-matic in his hands. Hmmm... I wasn't a member of this forum at that time, or I probably would have known what the issue was, but eventually I figured out the problem was anticipating the recoil and "limp-wristing" (another term I'd never heard of). I remember the next time I took the DE out for a run, I just sighted at a nearby stump and focused on keeping the pistol fully supported without anticipating the recoil. Emptied one magazine then another. It ran like a champ and has ever since. That reminds me, I've got plenty of loaded ammo and it's overdue for another run.

I think most of the hot 45LC loads are meant for the Ruger pistols.
Found pretty good article on 45 LC +P revolvers here:

I guess what you could do is have a 454 casul and shoot 454 casul, 45 lc +p, and 45 lc in it (45 schofield too I guess).Then you could shoot them all. Ie 454 casul becomes "454 casual" ha ha.

Last Edited:
200.gif
Oh yeah....
Wait...that is Van Halen Jump....sorry
Andy

Interesting. I didn't even know they could do that.

One thing I'm curious about is the 45LC hot loads. Does one have to have a special 45 LC to handle those? I'm sure you don't want to shoot out of an old SAA but for modern revolvers I mean.

Comparing hottest loads of .41 magnum and 45 LC +P it looks like .41 magnum is 1050ish fpe, 45 LC +P is 1150ish fpe.

View attachment 1830693
View attachment 1830694
Any modern 45LC gun is going to handle the heavy stuff just fine. I believe the 45LC+P pressures are still below a 44 Magnum.

Found pretty good article on 45 LC +P revolvers here:

I guess what you could do is have a 454 casul and shoot 454 casul, 45 lc +p, and 45 lc in it (45 schofield too I guess).Then you could shoot them all. Ie 454 casul becomes "454 casual" ha ha.
So it looks like if you had a .454 Casul you could shoot 1700 fpe loads, 1100 fpe loads, all the way down to 300 fpe 45 LC cowboy loads. That's pretty wild. Adapters would let you shoot all the smaller rimless cartridges like 9mm too (I bet they are inaccurate though). "One gun to rule them all..."

2B1E98BB-E3A8-479B-9E1C-5905442BC534.jpeg
Some nice looking .454 casuls to my eye. Re Taurus Fwiw I've been impressed with Taurus tracker in .357 in dry fire (have not shot it yet). Very very smooth trigger and smooth action for $460.

4E73A7BC-84CE-4BCF-8372-09E59C17919E.jpeg
2D408A80-DAE1-4D22-AE62-57F866C8E398.jpeg
0940B4FB-9E18-406B-9523-265A225A1AC7.jpeg

RE: rimlock.

question: were rimmed cases ever designed to use in a semi auto platform? If so, then specifically the 41 magnum?

I believe .41 Mag autoguns exist (AMT/AUTO MAG guys out there?) if that is your question.

All rimmed cartridges get an extra step or verification when stacked in a repeater of ANY kind (auto or otherwise) toward ANY "application".

Even if the entire action assembly is DESIGNED for the rimmed cartridge from the outset, such as a Siamese Mauser.

38 Auto and 38 Super are semi rimmed.
sounds like that was a bad idea....

"A common example is the .38 Super Comp case, which has a semi-rim extending only .003–.004 inch per side, compared to standard .38 Super which has .007–.009 inch per side. The main reason for the development of new cases was due to the semi-rimmed .38 Super case not always feeding reliably from the double-stack box-magazines used in several semi-automatic pistols popular with practical shooting sports"