JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In some recent ads in the reloading section of NWfirearms reloaded (for parts only no documentation on load data) ammunition which was acquired from a neighbor or relative was up for sale or trade. Question why is there no documentation on this ammo? As a new reloader I see the value in meticulous records keeping for myself and anyone in my circle.
Is this not common practice?

F45CEEBC-FE89-414C-89C1-140974CE60A3.jpeg 055E699A-A58A-498B-A88E-C051C3E1406F.jpeg C5004A65-5627-4AAD-B80F-EFD4D3A2DB39.jpeg CEE070B1-CC53-4390-BE84-BA574C986E3D.jpeg C3BC40BA-F7FA-4263-BFCC-9B369564FA38.jpeg

In some recent ads in the reloading section of NWfirearms reloaded (for parts only no documentation on load data) ammunition which was acquired from a neighbor or relative was up for sale or trade. Question why is there no documentation on this ammo?
If you are talking about COMPONENTS only well, then you most likely won't see any load data. You are buying the components to develop your OWN loads. Also the person selling the components may have never loaded that caliber before and just received them in another deal and just passing them along. Done that many times myself.

If its LOADED ammo they are selling (specifically reloads) they may be selling them as 'components only' and assuming you are not going to shoot them and pull them for the components. If its factory ammo they will most likely not even know what the factory data is.

Write stuff down.
So you can remember stuff. Rrrrright....
Some a do.....and....some a don't. But now.....

giphy.gif

Aloha, Mark

PS........
mind_like_a_mug.jpg

Last Edited:
I think yes, most "handloaders" have detailed information on their loads. However, if someone was selling loaded ammo, "for components only" guessing most are not the person doing the loading as they would have pulled the bullets and saved their own components. (Unless, I suppose, they sold the gun they loaded for.) If a person did not make the loads themselves, they might not want to pass along suspect info due to perceived (or real) liability. Volume "reloaders" might just find a load that work and stick with this until one of the components wears out with less formal documentation.

My $.02, which may be overpriced.

So here is what I do, I keep records of the load dvelopment and when I get to the goldielox load I write it down on a 3x5 card. Every time I make that load I make it to the specs that are on that card. Those 3x5 cards are the also what I use for my ammo business. I shoot the same ammo I sell.

I think it is very common to write down load data for ammo one loads. Even if I came into reloaded ammo which I had no use for, I would remove any attached load data from before selling as components only. That way buyer would not be tempted to assume they were safe to shoot based of the load data.

I write down range results.
I write down ammo loading events on cards to be included with the ammo, for my reference only.
I have lost said cards from those ammo boxes over the decades, have pulled and repurposed that ammo.
For a few years now, I write the load data for each cartridge on that cartridge. No mistaking it then. Yes, I have spilled MTM cases full of ammo. It's a piece of cake with each one labeled.

BUT, having done it before and learned the hard way, I'll be damned if I'll shoot someone else's reloads in my guns, even if they *look* OK and have load data included. I recently pulled a few hundred rounds that I bought as components. Boxes were carefully labeled, bullets all looked the same, and yet I found a mix of powders in those cases all listed as one powder.

Every box gets a sticker like the MTM ones in OP or similar with the data, including date. If you have more than one rifle chambered for a certain caliber it makes it easier to grab more. This also helps when finding out what something new may like. I load many different loads for the same caliber because of different intended purposes and different firearms, it just makes sense to properly mark every box. Besides it will be much easier on my kid when I kick the bucket, he shoots/trusts my reloads already. I wouldn't trust some unknown persons reloads even if they had data on them especially if they were from a third party. never know if they were mixed up in the boxes or something along the line.

I agree with deadeye, it's the only smart thing to do. My boys will inherit more ammo (certain calibers) than a sporting goods store. I make it a point to load EVERY round as if my life depended on it. 100% function, 100% of the time. So well marked boxes/ammo cans is a must.

Now weather those kids of mine know what they'll inherit? Who knows. They'll probably sell them as components on this forum!

I have a master list with ALL the details of everything I have ever loaded. I label each box with enough info to be able to back track it to the master list. Works for me.

In some recent ads in the reloading section of NWfirearms reloaded (for parts only no documentation on load data) ammunition which was acquired from a neighbor or relative was up for sale or trade. Question why is there no documentation on this ammo? As a new reloader I see the value in meticulous records keeping for myself and anyone in my circle.
Is this not common practice?

View attachment 1106714 View attachment 1106715 View attachment 1106716 View attachment 1106717 View attachment 1106718
There is definitely value in keeping track. A guy puts a lot of work into making a specific cartridge. It's a shame to lose it. Besides labeling the box, having a good and detailed journal is the right way to go. When you find a load that works particularly well in a particular gun after all that trial and error you don't want to lose or forget it. So yes it really does make sense to keep really good records.

It seems tedious at first when one is starting out; I have found over the years that it becomes much less tedious when one finds something that works really well. We tend to load more of the recipes that make our firearm shoot better than expected.

I would agree that the proper way to handle reloads is to put the recipe on, or at least in, the box or bag with the contained cartridges.

Welcome to projectile science. It's a healthy addiction o_O.

I write down range results.
I write down ammo loading events on cards to be included with the ammo, for my reference only.
I have lost said cards from those ammo boxes over the decades, have pulled and repurposed that ammo.
For a few years now, I write the load data for each cartridge on that cartridge. No mistaking it then. Yes, I have spilled MTM cases full of ammo. It's a piece of cake with each one labeled.

BUT, having done it before and learned the hard way, I'll be damned if I'll shoot someone else's reloads in my guns, even if they *look* OK and have load data included. I recently pulled a few hundred rounds that I bought as components. Boxes were carefully labeled, bullets all looked the same, and yet I found a mix of powders in those cases all listed as one powder.
This is where that reputable source/person thing applies. I know a few people that are trustworthy enough that I would actually shoot their reloads; I know they are careful.

I find it really interesting that we pick up a factory box of ammo with no recipe or data and just shoot it out of our beloved firearm. We just trust that the cartridge companies did their due diligence. They send us something basically unlabeled and we just stick it in the chamber and yank the trigger. Yet if we find a box of our own loads undocumented we tend to pull them down. It's a curious phenomena that requires someone smarter than me to analyze, but curious nonetheless.

The box I'm using to hold the ammo has the load data written on it.
When working up loads I might use masking tape or a sheet of paper inside the box. I often mark cases with different colors of felt tip pen and note that on the paper.
I once bought some 45ACP from a shady dude that probably got them at an estate sale or through inheritance. Once I saw what they were I just set them aside.
Sometime I'll list them here as components.

Last Edited:
On a side note I will add that I have 45 colt loads that are only to be shot out of a thompson contender, older Ruger vaquero/ blackhawk, or strong single shots. They are a 300gr JSP and could do some damage to a winchester or colt or worse yet the operator of them. They are marked as such on the box and have red permanent marker across the bottom of the cartridge (a red flag of sorts). this is another very good reason to have info on every box.

Wouldn't it be nice if commercial ammo listed what powder and weight? :s0115: Granted there may be some commercial powers that aren't available to the consumer.
I see you havnt had your coffee yet this morning, you're still dreamin............

Only one I come close to is the Hornady Levrolution but dont have a taylor made to takedown and weigh the charge. If, and a big if the bottled powder is actually the same recipe.

Wouldn't it be nice if commercial ammo listed what powder and weight? :s0115: Granted there may be some commercial powers that aren't available to the consumer
Why would you want to make someone elses ammo? Why not make your own? Oh, I get it you want the gratification with out the effort. If you like my ammo then buy it, if you think you can do better/faster/cheaper then by all means do so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top