JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lyman has a cast bullet manual that has quite a bit of detail on cast bullets. Also, I like the Loadbooks USA manuals. They compile a number of other bullet and powder manufacturers' data into a small spiral bound notebook that is caliber specific (has both jacketed, plated, and cast lead data). Oregon Trail used to offer cast bullet data for their bullets, but I believe that I heard they were bought out by another company.

YPaAXx9.jpg

csl6tyx.jpg

walrJ4f.jpg

Zn5GFIr.jpg

I suggest the online hard copy.

@Lead Ball Here's the Lee Data @SuperBreed mentioned.

L6x7QW5.jpg

ySlBWT0.jpg

Last Edited:
When I was casting my own, I liked 405 gr. Lately, I've been using a Berry's 350 gr. plated. A little while ago, I ordered some cast 328 gr. so see how they shoot.

Great I'm gonna get one of them next Q what is your favorite cast pills 325grn to 460grn
I've always been partial to the 405 from Oregon Trail/Lazer cast.
For just general-purpose fun that bullet with ~25>26 grains of 5744 just about duplicates one of the original black powder loads, (CHECK THE MANUALS,) and it'll go clean thru an Elk.
I got a box of the Oregon Trail 500gr. bullets before they were discontinued but too much recoil in a light weight lever gun, and they're too long to feed thru the action on a Marlin.

How are the Berry's bullets
So far, they've worked out well. I haven't fired many rounds, but right off the bat I got a nice group with them using H4198. At the time I bought them, there weren't any jacketed .45-70 bullets available due to the famine. And actually, with the soft, thin copper coating, they are like a clean cast bullet.

This is my second go-around with .45-70. Years ago, I had a New England Firearms SB2 single shot and a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I cast my own bullets for them using a custom-ordered mold from Lee that was a group purchase. I had some jacketed bullets in my stock but I don't believe I ever fired any in those two rifles.

This time around, I bought a Henry Single Shot in .45-70. Very nice rifle. These days, I'm no longer casting bullets so I rely on what I can get "store bought."

P5120518.JPG

I liked the Henry in .45-70 so much that I bought another one in .357 Magnum, that's an easy one for ammo.

Lyman makes the best loading manual for cast bullets. There is so much info in the older manuals to do with casting, sizing and loading cast bullets.
I don't think the current version has all of that info, but you shouldn't have a hard time finding one used.

If your marlin has a micro groove barrel you will need to cast the hardest alloys or use a Gas Checked bullet. If your marlin has standard or Ballard rifling, it was made for cast bullets.
From my Marlin with cut rifling, my best bullet is a 405 gr Lee bullet with a hollow base. for the one with micro groove I use a 365gr gas checked bullet.

I have not tried Powder Coated bullets but others have used them in Micro barrels with good results. Good Luck DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top