JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I met a guy that specialized in researching old homesteads in the NW and his main interest wasn't rusty nails found with a detector, it was where the outhouse was located.
Once found, he would dig down and find some incredible cool and valuable old glass bottles that were chucked into the pit.

I have owned several and used to sell Tesoro and Fisher a long time back. I am no longer detecting, but when I was I found enough loose change over several years to purchase a new machine. I sold off all the gold jewelry a few years back and it funded my drift boat. My favorite machine was the Tesoro Bandito micro max. It didn't go as deep as some machines but it was a a heck of a ring finder.

Now I hate to ask.

But dose the IRS want any of this ''Found money''? o_O

MDing (seriously) is more than just swinging it on the ground and digging signals. While it CAN be that simple it rarely results in anything more than a little clad, zinc and junk. An awareness and understanding of the area you are hunting in makes all the difference. For example if you are in a area that was popular with homesteaders in the early 1900 (such as East Central Oregon high desert areas) don't plan on finding too many coins (or much else of value) as most who homesteaded had little to begin with.

Oregon in general is a great place to metal detect by virtue of the open land we have but really good finds are few and far between as Oregon is a relatively 'new' state with the majority of the population not really putting down roots until the early 1900s - and later actually - and there was really no major income producing activities that drew a lot of people to a given area with a great amount of wealth - such as the California Gold Rush.

However if you do your homework and study the state and find areas of high habitation or movement it can be productive for relics and maybe a few old coins but we will never make the finds like people on the East Coast occasionally do.

I don't know, supposedly there's some 16th century Spanish treasure somewhere in Oregon.......
Yes - this is related to 'Spanish peak' in the Ochoco Mountains. This has been debated by many over the years with a certain amount of evidence to suggest early Spanish movement in Oregon (the hilt of a Spanish sword was supposedly found during some construction in the late 50's near Prineville - on the way to the Ochocos) along with stories of evidence of a mine in the area.

There are more stories about it but separating fact from fiction is probably the hardest part of any quest for treasure.

I got the cheapest one off Amazon to round up my fired brass, works great for that. Though I do look rather silly using it as it's one meant for a child and I'm 6'2" tall. LOL! But it has also come in handy finding screws and nails after doing home projects.

The second season of the Detectorists starts out with a 15th century monk burying a religious icon near a Roman milestone plinth so some marauding bandits can't steal it.

Trying my hand at creating a good detecting shovel. Ideas, comments, input?

IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1593.PNG

The little one is fine. The big one I tried today and I don't like it very much. The weight is great for gouging away hard ground but it doesn't dig a nice plug. I was using leftover pieces for a prototype. The final model will be lighter gauge material.

I enjoyed the British show on Netflix called "Detectorists"
It's about a couple of guys who spend a lot of time wandering around farm lands looking for old Roman and Viking treasure.
Very low key, but funny with that quirky British humor.
I do have a cheap one that I used for finding property stakes when I was building additions.

That sure was a goofy show and slow. not sure why I watched all of them and enjoyed them, sure wish there were more to watch.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top