JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is anyone else here into it? What equipment are you using? Have you found anything worth mentioning?
Or even better does anyone have an old house or yard they would be willing to let me search around in? Worst case scenario you get all the trash dug out of your yard for free.

I have a cheapo detector..got it for a Christmas gift a couple years ago.
I had always wanted one,and think it would be a lot of fun,but I've only used it once in the backyard-found a lot of nails..
Lent it to my brother to locate some underground sprinkler lines and he said it worked great!

I have owned several and used to sell Tesoro and Fisher a long time back. I am no longer detecting, but when I was I found enough loose change over several years to purchase a new machine. I sold off all the gold jewelry a few years back and it funded my drift boat. My favorite machine was the Tesoro Bandito micro max. It didn't go as deep as some machines but it was a a heck of a ring finder.

I have a Minelab E trac metal detector. I take it with every time we go camping. I've found lots of stuff from rings to coins. My most valuable find was a 14k yellow gold men's chain, it weighed just a bit more than 30 grams. What makes me mad is seeing the guys at schools and parks digging and making messes, most of the don't even get permission or clean up after themselves.

Detected on and off for 35 years. Ran the whole range of detectors. Whites were always my favorites. Made right here in Oregon. The nickles and dimes you find pay for the batteries and the jewelry makes it all worth while. Hard to find an area that hasn't been hunted out. Knees started giving out on me, so sold all my detectors. I sometimes miss it.

From a home made Radio Shack BFO unit to a White's Quantum XT. Been 'swinging one' for a LONG time now. Way too many cool finds to mention but a few are - a WW1 German religious necklace token, a cast iron child's toy clothing iron, a hand forged lemon press from a homestead location and 100's of coins over the years but I am not necessarily a 'coinshooter' but more into relic hunting.

I have a Minelab E trac metal detector. I take it with every time we go camping. I've found lots of stuff from rings to coins. My most valuable find was a 14k yellow gold men's chain, it weighed just a bit more than 30 grams. What makes me mad is seeing the guys at schools and parks digging and making messes, most of the don't even get permission or clean up after themselves.
I too saw a lot of irresponsible folks in the parks. Like shooting in the woods, you try and educate them but some just don't care. This is why a lot of areas detecting has been banned. It was fun though to find a good coin where someone had dug.

I enjoyed the British show on Netflix called "Detectorists"
It's about a couple of guys who spend a lot of time wandering around farm lands looking for old Roman and Viking treasure.
Very low key, but funny with that quirky British humor.
I do have a cheap one that I used for finding property stakes when I was building additions.

AT Pro. Mostly hunt around my place and locally. Not really a 'treasure' hunter, my treasure is the old logging junk, homestead junk, old bullets, crosscut saws, ax heads, cooking items, etc.... I like to hunt the woods where old logging camps and shops were, railroad relics, logging relics and the like. I've found a few cool things, some coinage, a little silver, nothing of great value to most people. I do it for giggles and to facilitate my interest in other things, mostly local history.

I'm running a whites mxt. Whites pinpointer and a shovel I made myself. I mostly hunt around my house and my brothers place. Dug a lot of trash. But I find quite a few coins. Found a full length brass Winchester shotgun shell yesterday.

I was always interested in it.
I talked to a guy that did it during his retirement. Traveled the US doing it on vacation. He told me it's worthless getting a detector less than $600.

I decided that wasn't the hobby for me

The "good" detectors do cost a lot, but every time you get a good signal it feels like your digging up a lost pirate treasure. It's usually a penny but that's beside the point.

Got a Whites something or other from the father-in-law when he passed and have never loaded it up with batteries and fired the thing up. I hear a good place to look, without leaving the city, is when they break up the concrete for new wheelchair ramps on street corners. Some of the older neighborhoods had those put in in the early 1900s. Even now they're replacing newer ones but you know they don't excavate the dirt, so that's pretty much un-touched ground since sidewalks were built originally.

I enjoyed the British show on Netflix called "Detectorists"
It's about a couple of guys who spend a lot of time wandering around farm lands looking for old Roman and Viking treasure.
Very low key, but funny with that quirky British humor.
I do have a cheap one that I used for finding property stakes when I was building additions.

We watch "Detectorists" at our house too. Great show about some lovable eccentric geeks. Low key, but it grows on you.
Probably, detecting in Europe would be more rewarding what with all the ancient treasures and Doo-dads still in the ground. In North America you would be limited to 19th/18th Century stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top