JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went up today and road was clear for even a car but there was a little bit of some. But so many noobz shooting where you are not allowed to. Please remember not to shoot until you reach the gravel pit. It is illegal to shoot on the first 6.8 miles of road!

I tried yesterday to get there from the other side but the 45 road was closed due to logging activity. Someone at the area near the end of Hillockburn rd said they thought the gravel pit was going to be closed this summer due to logging. Anyone know anything about this?

I took the wife up there today, so she could shoot her new pistol (mothers day gift) and I saw a TON of garbage. Disgusting. Peeps really should police there junk out of there......:eek:

I went up there today for the first time but there was a sign saying no shooting for 6.8 miles. I didnt realize (from reading this thread) the pits were that far up the road to begin with, seemed a little sketch to drive up that far. How is that road generally and the traffic/company up there, safety wise that is?

Also on that note, im wondering why people would drive so far up to shoot? When i spoke with the zig zag ranger station last year and they sent me info on target shooting, it is legal to shoot anywhere in the mt. hood national forest as long as you do not shoot over a body of water/road, and either 150feet or yards (dont remember now) near a residance/campsite. Im going to request the info again as i cannot seem to find it online right now.

The 6.8 mile rule is really specific to this road. The road are clear and paved nicely, for the most parts, and the people who are up there are generally safe. I've met some really nice folks and i've also mets guys who blew up their tannerite next to my car. But it's mostly good people. Just be safe and mindful and you should be fine.

A beautiful morning up above the gravel pit today. Finished sighting in my 10/22 at 100 yards and also had fun with the Camp 9. Not too good at 100 yards but fun at 50+. Practiced with my Kahr P9 at about 10 yards. Still need to work on my consistency. Saw some folks down at the gravel pit on my way out.

I tried yesterday to get there from the other side but the 45 road was closed due to logging activity. Someone at the area near the end of Hillockburn rd said they thought the gravel pit was going to be closed this summer due to logging. Anyone know anything about this?

I went up there yesterday trying to go to the pit on that side. There was a sign where the pavement ended saying road closed unti 06/30. 3.5 miles in, the road was gated closed. I wonder if it is also gated coming in from the memaloose side?

Anyone up for doing some clean up of the pit? There is some much trash and shotgun casings up there it looks like confetti. I'm thinking of going up there this weekend and cleaning up as much as i can fit in the back of my truck, and doing some shooting.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top