JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got to building my first trauma kit and started thinking about all of the worst that could happen.

Started thinking about if I had to close a wound due to not being able to get to a Dr for some reason for a prolonged duration. My immediate thoughts went to being lost in the wilderness or the lack of medical care due to a massive earthquake. Or maybe civil unrest makes it impossible to get to a Dr.

So, I've been learning to suture and have gotten quite good at it. While this is not the ideal, none the less I imagine its a good skill to have just in case.

My thoughts then went to, it would really suck to have to suture without a local anesthetic.

Let's be honest, it would suck.

So, I leave you with this question. What are some medications beyond your normal aspirin, Ibuprofen and such that would be helpful to have in your kit? I'm not nessisarally looking for spesific meds for the issue above but looking into the above scenario yielded very little legal solutions and begged the question what meds ought one have on hand that are beyond the usual.

Thanks,

Eagle

Unfortunately, there are No pain mitigation meds that are legal in the civilian world, so your gonna have to learn to deal with pain! Besides, the wrong meds, or the wrong dose could be far worse then not having any in the first place! About the best you can do ( and I am not recommending it ) is the dental pain reliever liquid as a topical, it will take some of the edge off, but............
Use or not, it's your choice! Just know that with trauma that's going to require closure, your also going to likely be dealing with shock, and in this case, it's also best not to worry about medicating and the complications that may add! I would invest in good quality Butterflies to assist in closure, you will find they can help with the third hand you might not have, and in the right situations, can actually close without the need for sutures! As with any bleed, keep things as clean and sterile as you can! Also remember, you have about a 2 hour window from the time of injury that you can work within, after that, it's going to be dangerous to try and suture properly, and after 6 hours, impossible! If you cannot stop a bleed, your doing to need a higher level of care, and depending on the amount of blood loss, you may not have much time to get it stopped!

I'd still have to have a prescription for this. Do you know anyone that would give this out "just in case" your dog cut himself? I don't believe I do and I dont personally think it a bad idea for "just in case." I just can't imagine a vet giving a prescription out unless you could show the animal actually needed it.

Also, any other meds one ought to have on hand?

In a pinch, you can stop any bleeding with tape and super glue!! :s0155:

;):D
Ground black pepper (in copius amounts) helps the clotting process tremendously. It's excellent as an first application. Also, a sugar and water paste also helps wounds heal faster when applied under a dressing.

In a pinch, you can stop any bleeding with tape and super glue!! :s0155:

;):D
Don't laugh! It is actually true and works. Though I would use duct or the off-white paper-like tape.

If you have access to ice or snow (all clean), try to numb the area before suturing. Hoping to use pain injections as aforementioned, do not do it - TOO MANY VARIABLES!!

How have you practised? Pigs have similar skin texture to humans. You can learn on chickens, too.

Long ago I read something about westernnative americans dipping tobacco in a concoction of plants and whatnot to heal and stifle blood from open wounds. I wish I could find the medical book lecture - very interesting.

Or, .......bring whisky and moonshine, whiskey for you and moonshine for the injured.:s0114:

Clove oil, works wonders on Teeth and in a pinch can be used topically.

Ice packs can help with numbing cuts, even deep cuts that need stitches just be careful not to get frost bite by leaving the ice on to long.

Pain sucks but it lets you know your still alive.

A wilderness first responder course would be a good idea to explore. NOLS and WMA offer them. They're based on exactly the scenario you describe. Both have some excellent texts that support the course. Suturing will be much less important in your kit.

Not sure you have considered this, but perhaps investing in completion of your EMT basic would go a long way. I carry quick clot and this powder stuff to put on small cuts. I am on anti-coag's. An EMT class will provide a lot of info. Still have an ALS bag in the primary rig. Thanks to all the informed people in this blog. Good stuff.

Got to building my first trauma kit and started thinking about all of the worst that could happen.

Started thinking about if I had to close a wound due to not being able to get to a Dr for some reason for a prolonged duration. My immediate thoughts went to being lost in the wilderness or the lack of medical care due to a massive earthquake. Or maybe civil unrest makes it impossible to get to a Dr.

So, I've been learning to suture and have gotten quite good at it. While this is not the ideal, none the less I imagine its a good skill to have just in case.

My thoughts then went to, it would really suck to have to suture without a local anesthetic.

Let's be honest, it would suck.

So, I leave you with this question. What are some medications beyond your normal aspirin, Ibuprofen and such that would be helpful to have in your kit? I'm not nessisarally looking for spesific meds for the issue above but looking into the above scenario yielded very little legal solutions and begged the question what meds ought one have on hand that are beyond the usual.

Thanks,

Eagle
if you want knowledge that matters watch this and it will shift your perspective on what supplies you want.

Not sure you have considered this, but perhaps investing in completion of your EMT basic would go a long way. I carry quick clot and this powder stuff to put on small cuts. I am on anti-coag's. An EMT class will provide a lot of info. Still have an ALS bag in the primary rig. Thanks to all the informed people in this blog. Good stuff.
You can buy clotting band aids in any drug store. There's also a wealth of clotting first aid products on the market, just do a search. In my first aid bag I have Israeli hemmorage control bandages and H&Hwound seal kit. You won't find these at Walgreens but they are plentiful on ebay, etc.

IMG_20201122_103504.jpg

I'd still have to have a prescription for this. Do you know anyone that would give this out "just in case" your dog cut himself? I don't believe I do and I dont personally think it a bad idea for "just in case." I just can't imagine a vet giving a prescription out unless you could show the animal actually needed it.

Also, any other meds one ought to have on hand?
Walmart sells some 4% lidocaine (topical) which did a fantastic job at helping me not itch with some BAD poison ivy I had about a month ago from a landscape job I did. This is what it looks like, I think it was like $6-7 :s0020:

AAFB397F-91F2-4CD4-9034-4869ECE9A0F2.png 9BDB6F9B-2764-43BF-8BF0-4CF798AEBF5D.jpeg E94E469A-E02B-4DAF-9125-CEA4AB2D1901.jpeg DD8900F9-1FDE-4164-9701-4FCE966FB09B.jpeg

Don't laugh! It is actually true and works. Though I would use duct or the off-white paper-like tape.

If you have access to ice or snow (all clean), try to numb the area before suturing. Hoping to use pain injections as aforementioned, do not do it - TOO MANY VARIABLES!!

How have you practised? Pigs have similar skin texture to humans. You can learn on chickens, too.

Long ago I read something about westernnative americans dipping tobacco in a concoction of plants and whatnot to heal and stifle blood from open wounds. I wish I could find the medical book lecture - very interesting.

Or, .......bring whisky and moonshine, whiskey for you and moonshine for the injured.:s0114:

I wasn't laughing!! I've closed up more lacerations with super glue and/or duct tape than you can imagine... :s0155:

Pot is legal, except for gun owners.

They make topical stuff, I've seen it. No idea how well it works.

Have a hippy friend buy it for you.

CBD is pretty popular too, not so bad for gun owners, yet! Again not sure how well the topical stuff works.

That can be ordered off the web. Or bought locally, likely at a pot shop. If that's the case, see above note about a hippy friend.

Ground black pepper (in copius amounts) helps the clotting process tremendously. It's excellent as an first application. Also, a sugar and water paste also helps wounds heal faster when applied under a dressing.

Thanks, I will look into that.

I purchased a "soft skin" practice suture kit on Amazon. Probably not nearly as good as a pig but got me good at knots and how I would go about doing odd cuts and or varying levels of depth.

Clove oil, works wonders on Teeth and in a pinch can be used topically.

Ice packs can help with numbing cuts, even deep cuts that need stitches just be careful not to get frost bite by leaving the ice on to long.

Pain sucks but it lets you know your still alive.

Got some instant cold packs today. will probably keep them in the kit and will look into the clove oil. Thanks.

A wilderness first responder course would be a good idea to explore. NOLS and WMA offer them. They're based on exactly the scenario you describe. Both have some excellent texts that support the course. Suturing will be much less important in your kit.

Thanks, I fully intend on getting some formal training once our Fuher Brown allows that to happen. I have a tourniquet and quick clot, vented chest seals, packing, pressure bandages, iodine, instant cold packs, alcohol, sterile saline wound cleaner, sterile gloves, 4% lidocaine cream, sutures. I figure sutures are lite, probably wont hurt to have them too. If there is anything else you think I should include feel free to hit me up.

Yes, totally, I have been bugging my wife (RMA) to take a trauma course with me. sadly, it likely wont happen before our overlords grant us "permission" to learn again. In the mean time I have been watching a lot of youtube. Currently my kit includes, a tourniquet and quick clot, vented chest seals, packing, pressure bandages, iodine, instant cold packs, alcohol, sterile saline wound cleaner, sterile gloves, 4% lidocaine cream.

if you want knowledge that matters watch this and it will shift your perspective on what supplies you want.

Currently I have, I have a tourniquet and quick clot, chest seals, packing, pressure bandages, iodine, instant cold packs, alcohol, sterile saline wound cleaner, sterile gloves, 4% lidocaine cream, sutures. Holy crap that is a long video, will definitely watch. If you see anything I'm missing feel free to hit me up. Thanks!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18705440-the-survival-medicine-handbook This book is a great reference and resource. It can help you asses your skill level and build the kit that is best for and your family and situation.

My god, 503 pages of goodness. Thanks mate! Definitely will read!

You can buy clotting band aids in any drug store. There's also a wealth of clotting first aid products on the market, just do a search. In my first aid bag I have Israeli hemmorage control bandages and H&Hwound seal kit. You won't find these at Walgreens but they are plentiful on ebay, etc.

View attachment 781030

Thanks, my current kit is: a tourniquet and quick clot, vented chest seals, packing, pressure bandages, iodine, instant cold packs, alcohol, sterile saline wound cleaner, sterile gloves, 4% lidocaine cream, sutures. Will look into the wound seal. Thanks man.

Walmart sells some 4% lidocaine (topical) which did a fantastic job at helping me not itch with some BAD poison ivy I had about a month ago from a landscape job I did. This is what it looks like, I think it was like $6-7 :s0020:

View attachment 781074 View attachment 781075 View attachment 781076 View attachment 781077

I actually just purchased this today! thanks mate!

Pot is legal, except for gun owners.

They make topical stuff, I've seen it. No idea how well it works.

Have a hippy friend buy it for you.

CBD is pretty popular too, not so bad for gun owners, yet! Again not sure how well the topical stuff works.

That can be ordered off the web. Or bought locally, likely at a pot shop. If that's the case, see above note about a hippy friend.

If our overlords weren't so tyrannical I would be all over this. Thanks for the suggestion.

In my first aid bag I have Israeli hemmorage control bandages ...
I prefer the OLAES Modular Bandage and switched to them about 8 years ago. They're American designed but more importantly I think they're the best trauma bandage out there. As one reviewer puts it:
The Olaes is undoubtedly the most feature packed bandage out there. If you were looking for a single bandage to carry that gives you a number of treatment options without having to carry additional items this may be what you're looking for. The trade-off is that the Olaes is a little bulkier that some of the other bandages out there and if you don't need the removable gauze, eye cup or an occlusive sheet then these features go "unused."
There was also a discussion on ar15.com earlier this year that I haven't participated in. However, I agree with the consensus in favor of the OLAES.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top