JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got to building my first trauma kit and started thinking about all of the worst that could happen.

Started thinking about if I had to close a wound due to not being able to get to a Dr for some reason for a prolonged duration. My immediate thoughts went to being lost in the wilderness or the lack of medical care due to a massive earthquake. Or maybe civil unrest makes it impossible to get to a Dr.

So, I've been learning to suture and have gotten quite good at it. While this is not the ideal, none the less I imagine its a good skill to have just in case.

My thoughts then went to, it would really suck to have to suture without a local anesthetic.

Let's be honest, it would suck.

So, I leave you with this question. What are some medications beyond your normal aspirin, Ibuprofen and such that would be helpful to have in your kit? I'm not nessisarally looking for spesific meds for the issue above but looking into the above scenario yielded very little legal solutions and begged the question what meds ought one have on hand that are beyond the usual.

Thanks,

Eagle
Pain meds themselves are going to be hard to get outside of an unlicensed dealer (haha)
Personally, instead of sutures, I keep fish amoxicillin and medical grade staples.
This of course, is presuming a deep laceration i CAN control bleeding on an extremity.
Even deep wounds (the kinds homesteaders see) can be closed w/out sutures with steristrips or butterfly bandages or even staples. The hard part, is the antibiotics to fight infections.
Fortunately, you CAN hit your dr up for a 10 day course of cephalexin for cheeeeeep.

Find a good local friendly MD who will legally prescribe the needed meds. Make sure it is a legal Rx. Same with your vet. Find one you can work with. You might have to check in time to time and show licensed office staff you still have 100% of the stuff. An individual pill count may not be necessary. Be honest.

The stuff inside the Rx bottle must match the label describing the med, the dose and how often to take it. Dumping your necessary Meds into one small Rx bottle may NOT be legal. Separate bottles for each med. TSA may check the plastic pill bottle contents. Also remove all loose ammo from your carry on bag.

Should I add this? No. Maybe in the funny section. :)

From the jobsite- electrical tape and toilet papper, you use what ya got!
Honey works as well or better than sugar. May have to pack a bag of potent weed, for pain of course.

The pain of suturing will likely be less than the shock, stress, and pain of the wound. In any case, for numbing and sterilizing, high alcohol booze. Whether that is for the the person receiving the aid, the one providing it, or both is up to you.

If we're talking just medications...

Analgesics
Antihistamines
Burn ointments
Antibiotic ointments
Cough drops
Eye drops
Medicated foot powder
Tums

Having been a medic in the military and fighting wildfires most of your problems are going to be the annoying little things. It's better to have the basics on hand so little things don't become big things.

For SHTF/Trauma the list is far more extensive. But if I'm doing any field work with a crew I have the above list on hand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top