JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Field expedient things that can be used are duct tape, womens' sanitary napkins and "heavy flow" pads, super-glue as a temporary suture, iodine and/or hydrogen peroxide for a topical disinfectant.

I can personally attest to the duct tape and super-glue as over the years I have lacerated my hands/fingers quite severely on sheetmetal fittings from time to time (could see my tendons a few times) and duct tape was the go-to. I've used "off the shelf" super glue as well and it works awesome, but it stings like a mofo and was told you can poison yourself with it, so be careful!!

Except for once (I cut a tendon) I never did go to a doctor for my wounds (stubborn sheite), and the scars (upon scars) on my hands and fingers are awesome!!

I have a Maxpedition Aftermath (toiletries bag) repurposed as a FAK. It's perfect for the job. Gloves, CPR mask, gauze, wraps, ibuprofen, antiseptic spray, wipes, basic band aids... All kinds of stuff. My lady is a nurse. We built our FAKs together.

Some odd but very effective things to add.
Individually wrapped sanitary napkins (kotex) Make great compresses, and Tampons for puncture wounds.
They are 1/10 the price of the ones designated for first aid.

I would suggest carrying what you have been trained for. Suturing IS "fairly" easy, but there are some basic concepts that if ignored will do much more harm than good.
Fwit, I have several smaller bags for different types of emergencies: bleeding, airway, medical, minor, IV, etc. One big bag worked in the military, but not now.
I have worked full time in emergency medicine for six years and am constantly learning. Master the basics, then start adding new skills/techniques as offered.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top