Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Medic Bags

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Outdoorxj, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Outdoorxj

Outdoorxj Wilsonville Active Member

As and EMT i am always prepared for medical emergencies. I always have a little medic bag and want to see if anyone else has a medic bag and what it contains of. I think it is important to have one and i see people neglect to have a bag ready and some basic first aid books.

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

suture sets are always good to have along with the standard bandages, alcohol, peroxide, etc.

Outdoorxj and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Outdoorxj

I need to get a suture kit. I watched a video of on how to suture on youtube. they did it on an orange and it seems to be good practice, and it seems fairly easy.

4. Swedish K

I have a few that I picked up - I should probably get some of the dissolving sutures as well - I'll have to ask the wife (RN) about which types/sizes are used for what - my understanding is that dissolving sutures are generally used for internal or sub dermal sutures and the normal are used on the surface since you can remove them later. I wonder what a staple kit runs... oh - I wonder if you can get the medical grade superglue easily - I know hockey teams often superglue wounds for a quick patch so they can get back on the ice without turning the rink red.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I have 3 big bags ready to go and boxes full of stuff. But then again I am a medic and have all my own stuff since part of the time I basically do "contract" style work.

6. Jammer Six

Jammer Six North Greenlake, Seattle New Member

Not trained enough to use much beyond a standard first aid kit. I have everything I know how to use, but boy scout first aid only goes so far.

Just goes to show-- the ultimate resource is people. They all bring something to the table. Maybe they're a plumber or a hunter or an expert medic. Just a mouth to feed until you need the plumbing fixed or someone sewn up, then they're exactly what you need-- a dude who knows how.

People are the ultimate resource, therefore leadership is the ultimate skill.

Everyone is welcome, and we'll figure out what you're good for.

Nwcid, CoastRange57, Stomper and 3 others like this.
  7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Was an EMT1 (OR)
    I carry 2 pairs gloves, bandaids, and mil Abdominal dressings.
    histerical kids respond to a bandaid, pure magic.

8. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was fortunate to be an EMT II back in the early days ( load them and run) of EMS in the area. My wife was a surgical nurse for 10 years. My son is a working Paramedic in a fire department. We have several kits of various levels set up. There are a huge amounts of kits out there, but the best I have found so far come from this company AMP3. AMP-3

Developed by a real Emergency doctor / surgeon, they met every need you could have in field medicine. I have no interest in the company, they are great personable people and probably the most well versed in emergency medicine I have ever met.

MTpockets and (deleted member) like this.
  9. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

IFAK
    tourniquets
    antibiotics
    alcohol swabs
    various painkillers.
    sissors
    lots O rubber gloves.
    sharpie" for writing on patients forehead....; T for tourniquet and time applied,, or other info when the real medics arrive.
    lots of gauze
    airway tube
    chest needle de-compression kit. and chest seal.
    blood clotter( new version)
    patient detail cards.(RED.... immediate,priority 1....,YELLOW...delayed, priority 2,....GREEN....minimal priority 3,....BLACK...DEAD, priority 4.)
    Cyalume lights type D red..( can be used to tape to patient to help indicate priority 1_immediate.)
    various burn kits and spray.
    lots O tape.
    casualty reference cards.

10. skydiver

skydiver Sandy,OR Well-Known Member

What are you guys worried about? We have ObamaCare!

11. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

Good people for sure. He does lots of online stuff, but also has a presentation at the online Survival Summit today.

12. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

All the ObamaCare med kit comes with is a tube of "KY."

13. CoastRange57

If you have someone who has a compromised airway and you need to use a airway tube, airway management just became a huge issue, and it takes two people to effectively manage an airway and the associated problems and requirements that go with it. Compromised airway usually has other trauma with it, and it never turns out real well. In SHTF, a compromised airway is pretty much a death sentence unless you can get to trauma level care in 30 minutes or less.

14. CoastRange57

I doubt that. Probably just a dry rub. Cheaper.

15. receo

receo Sandy, Oregon Active Member

When the poster said airway tube he may be referring to an opa or npa, both could be handy to keep a bad situation from getting worse. If he was implying a king or et tube well I'm not sure how effective that would be for a one man show. Liked his kit and pretty much resembles mine except he's missing one lil gem. ZOFRAN!!!

16. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

VFF, 1st Responder
    Most of my gear is centered on stiching-up horses, and sofas.
    Without proper anti-biotics, and a modern surgery, long term care is very problematic so my gear is 'geared' towards stabilization and transport

17. Swedish K

zofran -anti nausea med iirc - suppose that would be helpful especially for head trauma and shock cases.

18. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

Superglue and first aid kit. I like some of the stuff here though!

19. Outdoorxj

But whos to say you would not be able to acquire that. I think it is better to be prepared with stuff than not need it than to need it and not have it. Plus you could always kick it with eastern medicine or herbal. Thats why books are always handy!

20. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Besides the basics, this is what I carry in my loadout, BOB,

1.CAT or SOFF tourniquet.
    2.Emergency Trauma Bandage (many brands out there).
    3.Chest Seal (HALO, Bolin, or Hyfin are all good but any piece of plastic will do)
    4.Nasal Phryangeal Airway
    5.Non Latex Gloves (Nitril >5mils)
    6.Durapor (or equal) medical tape…
    7.EMT Shears

Basically what I carried in the military.

For more info see - If you don't have an IFAK you're ignorant - Survival IFAK - usCrow

skydiver and (deleted member) like this.