JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Field expedient things that can be used are duct tape, womens' sanitary napkins and "heavy flow" pads, super-glue as a temporary suture, iodine and/or hydrogen peroxide for a topical disinfectant.

I can personally attest to the duct tape and super-glue as over the years I have lacerated my hands/fingers quite severely on sheetmetal fittings from time to time (could see my tendons a few times) and duct tape was the go-to. I've used "off the shelf" super glue as well and it works awesome, but it stings like a mofo and was told you can poison yourself with it, so be careful!!

Except for once (I cut a tendon) I never did go to a doctor for my wounds (stubborn sheite), and the scars (upon scars) on my hands and fingers are awesome!!

I have a Maxpedition Aftermath (toiletries bag) repurposed as a FAK. It's perfect for the job. Gloves, CPR mask, gauze, wraps, ibuprofen, antiseptic spray, wipes, basic band aids... All kinds of stuff. My lady is a nurse. We built our FAKs together.

Some odd but very effective things to add.
Individually wrapped sanitary napkins (kotex) Make great compresses, and Tampons for puncture wounds.
They are 1/10 the price of the ones designated for first aid.

I would suggest carrying what you have been trained for. Suturing IS "fairly" easy, but there are some basic concepts that if ignored will do much more harm than good.
Fwit, I have several smaller bags for different types of emergencies: bleeding, airway, medical, minor, IV, etc. One big bag worked in the military, but not now.
I have worked full time in emergency medicine for six years and am constantly learning. Master the basics, then start adding new skills/techniques as offered.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top