JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This delightful "playset" was no doubt erected by a doting father for his adorable little tyke. It was shiny and new and probably set the ol man back 30 or 40 bucks.
View attachment 606131
Fast forward a few years and that sweet little guy and all of his degenerate friends are in the yard, jacked-up on Kool-Ade and penny-candy having a contest to see who can launch themselves offa that rusty, rocking (Dad didn't use enough concrete) death-dealer of a contraption the highest into the trees and hold on.
Even better is if naive dad placed that fun machine within 10' of a neighbor's fence. Oh yeah, I can make it over that...
Oooof.... I gotta go home...
remember when "getting the wind knocked out of you" was almost a daily occurrence?

We had one just like that! :s0155:

Last Edited:
M
Yup!

Start cutting something with a Swiss Army knife and have that sucker fold over on your knuckles and you learn pretty fast lol.

My fingers still work and I've never burnt myself so badly that it was a major trauma.

Do boy scouts even do that stuff anymore or has that been ruined in the new PC world too?

I guess it's up to the individual dad's now - or at least the ones who know how to use their hands still.
My neighbors kids are all in Scouts, his oldest working on Eagle. He said that they had a camp for a marksmanship badge. So there's hope.

Wr had one just like that! :s0155:
What kind of air/hang-time could you get? Distance? Ever pull off a 360? Nope, of course not. The 360 is a unicorn... that didn't stop us from trying.
Why? BECAUSE WE WERE KIDS AND LIVED FOR THE THRILL. We didn't know anything about PHYSICS.

I try not to crap on descendant generations or pile-on Millenials and they're nerfed-up world... these are the "kids" that are fighting our wars and my sons (23 and 25) both work hard, love shooting/hunting, and have an uncommon ability (for that generation) to see through the miasma of nonstop BS. But I'm seeing a pretty clear correlation between (some parts of) the "play date" generation and the rise in SJW-ism. I can attribute it to many factors, but the lack of consequences for one's actions seems to be a recurring theme.

as far as I recall, in my youth unless you were bleeding, limping, crying or trying to catch your breath, you weren't invited to come back for the next day's Fun Trials.....

1951 my friend Rex managed to get one of those long chain/rubber strap seat swings nearly horizontal before he bailed out, sailed way farther than anyone had ever seen, and crashed headlong into the sandstone steps of the school house, leaving his red red blood in the sand & nearly everywhere. The school nurse washed the sand out of the gash, rinsed it with merthiolate (the kind that stunk to high heaven and made you shriek when applied to knees) and wrapped it in a white rag. There were no ambulances around in those days out there 60 miles from an actual town with pavement. Although I don't recall what happened to Rex....he didn't make it back to school that year. I think his parents got transferred to another job.o_O

We don't even have these:

View attachment 606123

We DO have one, but in compliance with county H&S rules, it does not actually rotate.

The wooden monkey-swing thing we used to have, but it too was deemed too dangerous for the kids, so it got taken off the uprights and laid on the ground, like a ladder. Someone came along a while later and pointed out that somebody might trip over it, so that got taken away.

We DO have one, but in compliance with county H&S rules, it does not actually rotate.

The wooden monkey-swing thing we used to have, but it too was deemed too dangerous for the kids, so it got taken off the uprights and laid on the ground, like a ladder. Someone came along a while later and pointed out that somebody might trip over it, so that got taken away.

:(

In the early sixties, I remember studying "Lord of the Flies" and my buddies and I thinking .....
....."Huh!....This book reads a lot like our essays on, "What I Did on My Summer Vacation"! o_O

Yup!

Start cutting something with a Swiss Army knife and have that sucker fold over on your knuckles and you learn pretty fast lol.

My fingers still work and I've never burnt myself so badly that it was a major trauma.

Do boy scouts even do that stuff anymore or has that been ruined in the new PC world too?

I guess it's up to the individual dad's now - or at least the ones who know how to use their hands still.
when i was a boy scout we built things, had campouts, shot shotguns, learned how to build a fire with a bow drill, change flat tires, tie knots....stuff that kids should know how to do

Screenshot_20190806-011801_Samsung Internet.jpg

Meanwhile in America.....

My neighbors kids are all in Scouts, his oldest working on Eagle. He said that they had a camp for a marksmanship badge. So there's hope.

Now that the Boy Scouts are the Girl Scouts, will the girls all make Eagle Scout because of participation???

In the early sixties, I remember studying "Lord of the Flies" and my buddies and I thinking .....
....."Huh!....This book reads a lot like our essays on, "What I Did on My Summer Vacation"! o_O

Back in the days of boys will be boys!!!

Now that the Boy Scouts are the Girl Scouts, will the girls all make Eagle Scout because of participation???

Back in the days of boys will be boys!!!
I was skeptical about that too at first. But you have to look at why the girls wanted to join the Boy Scouts. They left the Girl Scouts because they weren't getting the essential life skills that the Boy Scouts were. Instead, they were getting fed poison pills in the form of left wing political indoctrination, gender questioning, abortion, etc. The Boy Scouts teach actual life skills and that's what the girls who joined wanted to learn. I don't blame them. I wouldn't let any of my daughters join Girls Scouts. They never showed any interest though as I give them enough life lessons and they are all independent thinkers.

I was skeptical about that too at first. But you have to look at why the girls wanted to join the Boy Scouts. They left the Girl Scouts because they weren't getting the essential life skills that the Boy Scouts were. Instead, they were getting fed poison pills in the form of left wing political indoctrination, gender questioning, abortion, etc. The Boy Scouts teach actual life skills and that's what the girls who joined wanted to learn. I don't blame them. I wouldn't let any of my daughters join Girls Scouts. They never showed any interest though as I give them enough life lessons and they are all independent thinkers.

I get it. I was remembering the daze when the Girl Scouts was like Home Econ on steroids... they did learn skills. So I was thinking they just wanted to get away from that and have what the boyz have. Didn''t know that GS was such a big leftist propaganda mill.

So now that boys want to be girls, what do they join? T-Scouts???

Yup!

Now, self-help gurus are teaching "mindfulness" to adults, while in fact we learned it at an early age by doing stuff like that! :D

Also, hanging on to bottle rockets too long, not really testing the strength or a rope or ladder before using them to scale high places, acting on a dare, not crouching too close to a batter, etc.

Buried in a grave slightly shallower than Dodge-Ball, but not nearly as deep as an afternoon of Smear-the-Queer.
Hipsters may pretend to enjoy an Atari or Sega Genesis game of Space Invaders or Asteroids, but there's NO chance of seeing a group of them playing Kill-the-Man-With-the-Ball or King of the Hill (aka: Smear-the-Queer but without the implied invective).

Smear-the-Queer* brings back some good memories. It was, hands down, my absolute favorite game in grade school. Man, we used to play before school, during lunch and at recess. We'd go to class with bumps, bruises, scrapes, torn clothes, bloody noses and the occasional missing tooth and no one really cared (teachers or parents). Actually, the only time that we ever caught hell for playing was from Mom and/or Dad and then it was for ruining our clothes.....

Ray
*Edit- now days, since I'm not one of the protected classes, I'm some sort of bigoted homophobe for even saying "queer".

I remember a game we used to play back in gradeschool where a bunch of us would lock arms and run over people saying " hey hey get out of our way, we just came back from the USA " or some bubblegum. Then other kids would try and break the chain..ah, the good old days.

I remember a game we used to play back in gradeschool where a bunch of us would lock arms and run over people saying " hey hey get out of our way, we just came back from the USA " or some bubblegum. Then other kids would try and break the chain..ah, the good old days.

I remember Red Rover but not that one lol.

I keep seeing the Memorials to the Japanese who were placed in those camps but IMHO those things should be ringed with the White Headstones of the Good People who died when WE were Attacked at Pearl Harbor!!!

December 7th just seems to be another day on the Calendar because another group of Terrorists have replaced the Japanese.

And include gravestones of the 442th battalion, "Go For Broke!"

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads