JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Surely we all know tidbits of meaningless trivia when it comes to our jobs, our cities, history, even when it comes to guns. So this thread is a place to share some of that meaningless trivia in case you think others will find your bit of it interesting (just for the fun of it).

I'll start with an item that began with the Alec Baldwin killing on the set of "Rust." One person died. Tragic enough. But it got me to wondering, which movie resulted in the most catastrophic loss of life? The answer is pretty stunning: 27 people died from an explosion during the filming of a movie called "The Viking" in 1931. The Viking was a real-life sealing ship which sort of starred in the movie, and just as the film was wrapping up with shots of the ship near an iceberg it exploded on March 15, 1931 off the coast of Newfoundland. Among the fatalities were the film's director, Varick Frissell, and cinematographer Alexander Penrod.
Apparently sealing and whaling ships back in the day carried a lot of explosive powder to dislodge from ice if needed and someone was carelessly smoking a pipe by the powder storage. Boom!

Wizard of Oz trivia: Even the brainless Scarecrow had enough sense to use a revolver for self-defense against the Wicked Witch of the West. Don't remember that? Here's a scene pic:

1650790830383.png

Toxophilus ...by Roger Ascham is the first book about archery written in the English language.
It was first published in 1545.

Toxophilus means "a lover of the bow." ❤️ 🏹
It is still in print today...and yes I have a copy....:D
Andy

The edges of dimes, quarters and dollars are serrated to keep people from carving off slivers of silver. Back when they were made of silver.
Then cashing the slivers in for extra money.

Prostitutes are called Hookers because during the civil war a Union officer whose last name was Hooker, felt sorry for the girls that followed the army from camp to camp and gave them a wagon to ride in. Thus becoming "Hooker's girls."

The edges of dimes, quarters and dollars are serrated to keep people from carving off slivers of silver. Back when they were made of silver.
Then cashing the slivers in for extra money.
Ha! Didn't know that. I always thought they were serrated to help blind people distinguish between different denominations of coins.

According to USAF Demographics https://www.afpc.af.mil/About/Air-Force-Demographics/

The average age for Fighter Pilots is 35 years old. With 1,341 Fighter Pilots being 24 - 35 years old and 1,051 being 36 - 45+.
And the average age of an American bomber crew during WWII was between 19 and 20 years old. My Dad was one of those. There was a guy on his crew who was 21 years old and his nickname was "the old man."

There have been ~700 nuclear reactors used at sea since the 1950s, and there are about 200 reactors at sea today. 100 of them are US Submarines and Air Craft Carriers.

America's Nuclear Navy is one of the oldest and largest nuclear organizations in the world, and has the world's best safety record of any industry of any kind.

The Nuclear Navy has logged over 5,400 reactor years of accident-free operations and travelled over 130 million miles on nuclear energy, enough to circle the earth 3,500 times.

Additional info here...

My 6th grade teacher was a former Catholic priest (I have no idea why he was 'former'). He gave us weekly spelling tests with 20 words we could study for and would add another word randomly taken from a dictionary for extra credit.

One of the weekly extra credit words was Trichomoniasis, a vaginal infection that afflicts cattle. I misspelled it, and looked it up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top