Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Massachusetts senator revives 'smart gun' debate

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

He's calling them "personalized guns" so that must make it a different idea, eh?

Massachusetts’ Markey revives ‘smart gun’ debate

Massachusetts Senator Edward Markey today announced that he will push legislation requiring that all new firearms be “personalized” as his panacea to so-called “gun violence,” which is yet another revival of the “smart gun” debate that has raged off and on for years.

Massachusetts? Markey revives ?smart gun? debate - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

All my weapons are already 'smart" when they're in my hands....

Its these politicians that are dumb.

3. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Let Law Enforcement test them out for a decade or two first! Remember E-guns can and will be equipped with kill switches if these bozos pass this crap!

4. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Tell you what, we can talk about smart guns once we've figured out all those other things in our everyday life that while less sexy, are upwards of 50 times more likely to kill you than a firearm is.

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Who's paying for the brain transplant for the 350 million dumb guns? other wise I think I read that the average firearm used in crime is 7 years away from new.

6. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

sorry dave i didnt read the article but from what i have read in the past about this type of firearm, they would be much more popular if you could actually rely on them. it would be a huge mistake for people to allow any legislation that would require all new weapons be made with this technology. if it were reliable enough for our military to adopt it, then they may have some ground to stand on. until then all they are doing is putting people at risk.

7. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Just like computers. How long till someone cracks them or sells an override chip or similar???? Better yet the criminals get a "chip" that shuts down LEO guns...........

8. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

Are personalized weapons like personalized politicians?? . . .
    they can only be operated by their owners.

Sheldon

9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

This tech just like solar panels and obamacare website will be a miserable failure.
    It will probably be govt backed businesses that get hundreds of millions of dollars and come up with junk that does't work or has a high failure rate.
    And with any tech these days the govt will probably be able to remotely shut it down.
    They will make a secret kill switch in it.

My company uses finger print scanners and they are poop. If your hands are cold and blood flow is constricted your print is different and it doesn't work, if yiu have worked with a lot of money or chemicals, acids, etc it won't read your prints, old people doesn't read the print.

Last thing i want it to have to use a gun and the damn thing says i can't read it.
    What if I buy the gun and my wife is home alone and she needs to fight off a burglar?
    So they will sell ten times as many guns.

And with any tech some 13 year old kid will find a way to hack it

Whatwill they do with the huge volume of guns that are already out there? What about the black market of guns coming from other countries? Criminals will always find a way.

I say we make this tech and have the secret service try it out for 10 years to test.
    See all those gun grabbing snakes want it protecting them.

Plus if they did have them how expensive is that gun going to be?

I'll stick with my $500 glock. It goes bang everytime.

10. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. See, criminals and people intent on doing bad things don't follow the rules. Gosh, not like we've ever seen a secure computer system hacked....

What utter nonsense. The simple answer from where I sit is "punish the bad guys" but that seems to fly right over the head of the powers that be.....

11. Tinman357

Tinman357 Puget Sound Member

Are these politicians really getting gun control ideas from movies? If they want to make a gun unusable by a criminal, drop gun control. Try real criminal control. Drop some of the B.S. laws that criminalize good people. That would actually work. Prosecute violent crime with extreme prejudice. The "gun violence" problem will resolve itself.

But we all know that this isn't about controlling "gun violence"

Grunwald, simon99, Nwcid and 5 others like this.
  12. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

[video=youtube;C7PJstjs17c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C7PJstjs17c[/video]

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. simon99

Great video....funny, but not 2A infringement funny......

14. RK600

RK600 SW WA Active Member

The politicians will never, ever admit that people intent on doing harm and criminals don't follow the rules. That would tear down their whole persona and idea of having power over the people. It's happening in Connecticut though and it's a good start.

That is the issue.

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. simon99

But anti-gun liberals use the words "common sense" and " its for our children's sake"......

Hmm....I think I heard this once before.

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”

― Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

16. GunRightsCoalition

GunRightsCoalition Vancouver Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Once tested this would fail muster and be found unconstitutional. I.E. By doing so it effectively prohibits gun sales.

Edited to correct misinformation. I was under the impression the battle was won over micro-stamping in CA. Apparently the case hasn't actually been decided yet.

17. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Actually a Rabbi wrote that in a fictional letter to Hitler.

18. simon99

You would know, wouldn't you?

19. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Know what???

BS C&P?

Yes

r2ub1h.jpg

20. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

HUH? When did California stop going ahead with its Micro stamping scheme. Maybe you should tell Ruger and S&W they don't need to worry about it. Here they just said they will be stopping sales of new models (in CA) due to the enactment of the Microstamping laws in CA

RK600 and (deleted member) like this.