JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Can you attend this event?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Not sure yet, but I'd like to!

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
Let's join up with this! I'll get an accurate map sometime this coming week and will post it here, in the first post of this thread. This is the info we know for now...

On Saturday, June 20, from 9am-2pm, the Benton County Sheriff's Office, the Bureau of Land Management, and the US Forest Service are sponsoring a Clean Up Day at the rock quarry on Mary's Peak Road near milepost four. We're looking for as many volunteers as possible, just bring gloves! There will be door prizes provided by local business: Mel's Barber Shop, Bad Dog, Corvallis Guns, Clips & Stuff, Philomath Gun Shop, and the Clip Joint Barber Shop. ‪#‎Corvallis‬ ‪#‎Philomath‬ ‪#‎MarysPeak‬

https://goo.gl/maps/f9gXC

10686959_891083937620200_3977327085069052005_n.jpg

Last Edited:
I'll be there with one other.

Great to have you there, bn! Don't forget to vote in the box above.

I posted a note to the facebook page of Benton County Sheriff's Office and included a link to this thread. Folks will be checking in to see how we're doing on our volunteer count.

And thanks for being part of bringing this to our attention! Hope we have a good turn out!

Bill

Assuming schedule allows I'll be there or be round (can't say I'm square).

Thanks @Cogs I hope the locals here can help. I'll help if I can make it even though I've never shot up there.

While I'm NOT saying this is the location.... Look at the google view of this rock pit!

Dropped Pin
near Benton County, OR
http://goo.gl/maps/9WSKh

You can see the debris from the aerial.

Yes Dyjital, that must be the place. I spoke with Corporal Al Schermerhorn, Benton Co Sheriff's Dept, today, (he's spearheading this event), and he said it's at the mile post 4 on Mary's Peak Rd at the Rock Quarry. He didn't have a google map link, but I'm sure this is the one. I've never been there so I'll have to print a map and hope for the best. For everyone going to this, I have a phone number that you should take with you. Send me a private message and I'll get it to you, in case you get lost. Hope we have reception up there.

Al sounds like a great guy, a shooter himself, 2nd Amendment believer, frustrated with the mess in the woods and truly believes that we can make a positive change in the behavior of recreational target shooting. He hates the way shooting places are being shut down and wants to fight to keep them open. Just like what we want! Let's not let him down! Chip in and help him out! I'm in. And I'm from Washougal, WA! It's that important.

He says we could get 100 yards in one location, shorter in others. Sounds like a good place to shoot.

Bring your own lunch, drinking water, gloves, boots and a rake. Don't forget the family! Also bring a toy that goes BOOM. We'll shoot 'em up after the clean up and have a blast.

Good times to be had next Saturday, June 20th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cogs

Is this the same Mary's Peak as the Mary's Peak hill climb time trial, also happening on the same day?

Seems like a bad mix.... redneck gun lovers barreling up the road at the same time as a road bike race... ? Methinks someone missed a dot somewhere...

Here's the race map....

Course_Base_Map_blank2.png

It's a huge annual event, and there will be a LOT of officiating, lots of cops running traffic control. Road access might be restricted to some degree, but the road, to my knowledge, remains open to the public (the centerline rule is in place for the race, and that generally [always] means the roads are open).

Expect it, be emotionally prepared for it, and leave extra early. You're gonna be stuck behind cyclists riding uphill for time, racing for money.

Yep. The bike ride is on for June 20th. I did a search and, so far, came up with their Facebook page that said... (We'll be going through before the start time. It will be the return that could get congested.)

No official start list yet, but for travel estimates:

First rider off at 10:30am.

Start interval will be *1 minute* between riders, 3-4 minutes between categories.

Registration closes Thursday, June 18th, 11:59pm.

Event Flier: http://www.vccycling.com/mphctt/

Thanks and see you at the race!

Just know what's up and bring a little extra grace. No reason this should cause any conflict.

Please update on any issues you have after the big day... I'm a member of both communities, being an Oregon Bike Racing Association (OBRA) member as well as a NWFA member and gun enthusiast. I'm not anybody of any consequence, but I have a voice in both communities.

Have fun! I'll be watching my kids while the wife is at some big national homeschool conference all weekend.. so I won't be shooting OR racing this weekend.

I'm really glad that this is happening. Part of the barrier has been that there's a massive steel gate blocking the path in, so unless it was unlocked, a good clean-up was dang near impossible. Now that they're setting this up with the BLM and FS, it'll finally be open and we can get that dump cleaned. I hate the trash up there; it ruins the fun and makes shooters look bad to the general public.

I'll definitely be there. Not sure how awake I'll be, since I'll be in Vancouver until nearly midnight for a Nickelback concert...
:s0022:
...but I'll do my best to show up on time.

Time to 'Hob-Knob' with the Benton Co. Sheriff's Dept! Heading to Eugene for the night, (party with the Bro), be at Mary's Peak by 9 am (headache and all). I'll pack the lap top and check in this evening and first thing Sat AM.

See you there!

Bill

Here's how it went... AWESOME!!! You should have been there! This place has never been cleaned up before (per Benton County Sheriff's Deputies). We had a total of 40 people (10 were from a Boy Scout Troop 2). I only met 1 other NWFA member, @2Wheels4Ever . Great folks and great support from community businesses. Here's the pics.....

Before
Before 1.jpg

After
After 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

Boy Scouts Joined in.
Boy Scouts.jpg

The Goat Crew
Goat Crew 1.jpg

Steep!
Goat Crew 2.jpg

Final pile
After 2.jpg

2Wheels4Ever 2 Wheels 1.jpg

Thank you to, 2Wheels!
2 Wheels 2.jpg

Me, son Ian and my brother Jim from Eugene.
Cog Boys.jpg

Gettin his Glock On!
Glock On.jpg

Yes, it was a good time. Most importantly, we made a statement in Benton County. Now we hope that statement starts speading!

Cogs

A big thanks to Corporal Al Schermerhorn for organizing this and to Philomath Gun Shop, Corvallis Cutlery, Corvallis Guns and the other local businesses who donated raffle prizes. It was a nice surprise to go home with some ammo, tannerite, targets and a trench hawk.

A big thanks to Corporal Al Schermerhorn for organizing this and to Philomath Gun Shop, Corvallis Cutlery, Corvallis Guns and the other local businesses who donated raffle prizes. It was a nice surprise to go home with some ammo, tannerite, targets and a trench hawk.

Your daughters stole the show! Teach her well with that Benchmark hawk!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top