JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
Reactions
It's time once again for the annual
Mary's Peak Cleanup
Come celebrate National Public Lands Day a week early!

Hosted by;
Benton County Sheriff's Dept, BLM, USFS and Trash No Land.

Location: On Mary's Peak Road at the rock quarry at mile post four.
Google Maps: 44°28'47.3"N 123°32'21.1"W
GPS: 44°28'47.3"N 123°32'21.1"W

Volunteers welcomed, needed and treated like rock stars with coffee and treats in the morning, a BBQ lunch and free raffle prizes in the afternoon! Come out and spend some time helping to cleanup the Mary's Peak rock quarry where people have been target shooting for years. Help us improve the quality of recreation at Mary's Peak!

Details: 8:30 AM Sign-in, coffee, donuts & snacks. 9 AM Safety briefing and discussion about current recreation activities, fire prevention measures and safety in recreation. 1 PM a free BBQ lunch and lots of raffle prizes to win!

Bring: A potluck salad or side dish, outdoor clothing, boots, gloves, rakes, magnet & manual pickers and A Stewards Heart!

After the event, enjoy recreation as you wish in the beautiful Mary's Peak area!

All are welcome! Recommend children be of age 12 or older and with adult supervision, as there may be hazardous materials and sharp objects.

Firearm Policy: Handling or use of a firearm during event hours is not allowed at our events and is not an official part of our events. You may recreate as you wish after the event concludes.

Website Event Page:
http://trashnoland.org/9-21-19%20Marys%20Peak.html
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/442973966291633/

Questions? Email Bill Cogley, Trash No Land, President, at [email protected]

Stewardship Keeps It Open!

You have an uncanny ability to schedule clean up days when I'm slated to be elsewhere. This is where my daughter goes to shoot, I really wish I could make this one but I'll be out of state and Schermerhorn is a cool cat.

Anyone on Facebook, please Share this event... Mary's Peak Annual Cleanup

Typically, 'Events' on FB do not get much 'Reach', like normal posts get. The Reach is real low. They want me to pay to boost the event and I don't do that. So, I count on people, businesses and other organizations to Share to their page or groups they are in.

Thanks!

Bill

Wow! @Rem700..300 has loaded up on the free prizes for this cleanup! Great support from the stores in Albany, Corvallis and Philomath. We'll be posting about that soon!

Who's up for camping Friday night the 20th? I'll be there early afternoon to pitch the tent and set up camp. Bring your own BBQ food. I'll have a portable BBQ unit and happy to share. Plan to plink a few rounds before sundown!

Yep on that! Corporal Al is great!
LOL.. You'd never hear those words coming out of my mouth. I'd have to get to know him again, I hope he is different than when I grew up with his kids 20 years ago.

I don't know him as well as you do, but what I've seen of him in the last couple years, (at 2 of these cleanups now), and he's a lot of fun, communicates real well with people, the community likes him and he's a big supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

I know I'm a bit different than I was 20 yrs ago. Could be he is too.

The wife and I went and sighted in another rifle at the Peak Sunday morning. I also sighted one in Friday morning. From Friday to Saturday night it looked like about 50 pounds of junk was hauled back to the pit and shot up and left. Attaching a bunch of pictures of the mess we are going to clean-up. Hope to see everyone there. Some really good prizes have been donated and a great lunch will be provided.
Thanks
Craig
20190908_085440.jpg 20190908_085351.jpg

When it gets to this point, it's too overwhelming for a weekend shooter to clean it up. Simply a bag or two doesn't make a dent in it. That's when you want a few others to help you.

That's why we need all the help we can get at this cleanup. It's not so big of a task and with a large group, we can easily make a big difference.

Thanks for the update, @Rem700..300 !

Isn't it about time to install some trail cams in these locations?

@Cogs what's the LEO's going to do if brought a memory card full of video/photos of these jackasses shooting debris/garbage and leaving it with clear evidence of them going away after depositing?

Isn't it about time to install some trail cams in these locations?

@Cogs what's the LEO's going to do if brought a memory card full of video/photos of these jackasses shooting debris/garbage and leaving it with clear evidence of them going away after depositing?
I think they'd be good with the cam idea. They may not be able to put them up without posting signs of warning, but I don't think a private individual would need to (I'm not sure if there's a legal requirement for warning). People put cameras on their homes without warning signs and there's cameras on the streets & businesses without signs, so, why not.

I've wanted to do it many times. I would if I had some. My biggest concern is they would be discovered and destroyed or stolen.

The volume of trash, at shooting sites is really pissing me off. There are so many people making and leaving a mess it's ridiculous.

It's about time we start getting a few busted. It should help send a message that you have to play right.

I think they'd be good with the cam idea. They may not be able to put them up without posting signs of warning, but I don't think a private individual would need to (I'm not sure if there's a legal requirement for warning). People put cameras on their homes without warning signs and there's cameras on the streets & businesses without signs, so, why not.

I don't think there needs to be a warning, at least in Oregon, if there is no sound recording. The warning requirement comes into effect when you are recording sound. That even applies to home surveillance, if you are just recording video that's okay with no warning. If you are doing video with audio or just audio, you have to have a sign up.

Oh on the damage thing, if you put the trail cams up high enough in the trees, I don't think they would be even noticed. It's surprising how oblivious people are.

The warning requirement comes into effect when you are recording sound. That even applies to home surveillance, if you are just recording video that's okay with no warning. If you are doing video with audio or just audio, you have to have a sign up.
On private property... no. You can record whatever you want if you are the land owner. I've booted certain individuals from my property who whipped out a phone to record a conversation. Now had they been on the sidewalk, different story but by the front door. Kick rocks. Only on private property can you prevent somebody from audio and video recording while standing on said property. If visible from public space, it's fair game.

This does not apply to peeping tom who is using binos to see down the road and into your bedroom window through curtains.

What makes this a non issue is that it's public land/public use. I can't think of a reason why you could not on public (not private) forests set up an audio or video recording. It would be the same as recording somebody on the sidewalk or in the middle of the road. Public land is public and there is no right to privacy there.

I may look into some reasonable trail cameras that have good battery life so I can start posting them up in trashed locations. I'd rather see perps be fined/jail time than the need for these events. Hammer the violators and set examples, the rest will think twice.

I bet though that a couple signs up there saying "Audio & Video recording devices present" would reduce the debris too! You'd sure get people looking or thinking twice about littering.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top