JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you like the Camp Carbine?

• Yes, I do!

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • No, it sucks.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No idea.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Camp Candy is better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um (burp), wut iz duh (shart!) ques'n eh-gain?

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
From what I have seen, the mags for the CT G2 are pretty inexpensive, and there is all ready some talk of a few companies making hi-cap mags for these once they catch on! It's a pretty darn slick little Carbine that is pretty easy to service and clean, and looks to have a pretty simple system of operation, so should be pretty reliable! Fit and finish on the one I tried was very good for poly! I see these taking off in the near future!
The PCC's in 9mm especially seem to really be taking the shooting world by storm. This one looks like another hit so I would fully expect someone to start making mags for them.

I would love one, except for the issue of magazines. I am just so invested in Glock magazines, that any carbine I get into would really need to take Glock mags. If one was willing to have a 'smith thread it, then the 45 would be the bee's knees, being subsonic. It might even be better than a 300blk sub, except for capacity of the mags.

Oops, we're back to mags again. But aren't the mags the linchpin of every semi-auto rifle?

That .45 won't stay subsonic with the rifle barrel.
It's probably moving 300-400FPS faster than it is from a handgun. ;)

Wow, you're saying a 30-40% increase in velocity? Ballistics by the Inch wasn't finding that degree of increase in velocity. And only Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap loads were breaking the sound barrier. I doubt that the standard self defense loads (HST 230, GoldDot 230, etc.) would be even getting close to 1000, much less 1150.

rw45acpbuffalo230jhp.png
45acpbuffalo185jhp.png

This is what makes the PCC's so impressive to me. They can REALLY make a difference in hand gun caliber ammo. This started when I bought my first 9mm PCC for Wife. Originally it was just something she could have fun with at the indoor range. Then when I found out the right ammo put a 124gr slug at the same velocity as a .357 with 125's I began to look at that little rifle in a whole new light. With Glock happy sticks in it that makes a wicked little defensive gun. :cool:

Wow, you're saying a 30-40% increase in velocity? Ballistics by the Inch wasn't finding that degree of increase in velocity. And only Buffalo Bore and DoubleTap loads were breaking the sound barrier. I doubt that the standard self defense loads (HST 230, GoldDot 230, etc.) would be even getting close to 1000, much less 1150.

Looks like I'm right and wrong on this. [ Mostly wrong]. :s0074:

I based my 300-400FPS increase on my experience with .44 magnum and 9mm carbines.

I've chronographed 1300FPS ammo fired from my 4'' 29 S&W at over 1800fps from my Ruger Deerfield carbine.

Well CHLChris. The .45 ACP looks to be more diverse than I knew.
Looks like you can pick 230GR ammo and keep it quiet.
Or go with something like a 185+P Ura-Ki pointed out. And give it the powder needed to make it scoot! :D [Pick and choose]

Maybe I should have kept my Camp .45?

This is what makes the PCC's so impressive to me. They can REALLY make a difference in hand gun caliber ammo. This started when I bought my first 9mm PCC for Wife. Originally it was just something she could have fun with at the indoor range. Then when I found out the right ammo put a 124gr slug at the same velocity as a .357 with 125's I began to look at that little rifle in a whole new light. With Glock happy sticks in it that makes a wicked little defensive gun. :cool:

Nice. ;)

Now imagine what a .357 will do through the same length barrel. :eek:

Looks like I'm right and wrong on this. [ Mostly wrong]. :s0074:

I based my 300-400FPS increase on my experience with .44 magnum and 9mm carbines.

I've chronographed 1300FPS ammo fired from my 4'' 29 S&W at over 1800fps from my Ruger Deerfield carbine.

Well CHLChris. The .45 ACP looks to be more diverse than I knew.
Looks like you can pick 230GR ammo and keep it quiet.
Or go with something like a 185+P Ura-Ki pointed out. And give it the powder needed to make it scoot! :D [Pick and choose]

Maybe I should have kept my Camp .45?

Nice. ;)

Now imagine what a .357 will do through the same length barrel. :eek:
Yep you can get at least one of these in .357 Sig. Should really cook

A guy over at hi point forums had his 45 carbine rechambered for 460 rowland and one of his load recipes put a 230gr jhp at 1180 fps and pics of test bullets shows it nearly fragmented. He says with the hi point his load is relatively low because he dont want blow primers out and also dont want his bullets to completely frag on impact from speeds. Hes looking at maybe using a 45 magnum carbine spec bullet and seeing how it does.

Not only the Camp 9 but also the Ruger PC series.. even though the PC9 is for all intents and purposes, simply a scaled up 10/22 that takes P series mags :rolleyes:

I do LIKE the one Ruger made. I think they just did not give it enough of a chance. :rolleyes:

PC9/PC40...The idea was great. Ruger hoped the police agencies would have a P-series pistol on their hip, and a PC-carbine in the trunk. Same magazine for for both weapons. But, relatively few agencies adopted the Ruger pistol, so to have a carbine in the trunk that used different magazines than their Glock defeated some of the benefit. But, they now have M4's in their trunk that also use different magazines. So the demands and expectations of a police department can change daily.

As a civilian gun, the PC-carbines are wonderful. When they were being made, the going price was roughly $400, which wasn't necessarily cheap, but again folks are selective on when they want to be cheap themselves. Folks have therefore missed out owning a nearly perfect little carbine, unless they're willing to now pay nearly double the original price for a good used model.

But it wasn't just that folks were too cheap to buy them, it was also that gun dealers refused to stock them, as they figured they'd never sell. A self fulfulling prophesy.

WAYNO.

Just Imagine what these modern Little Carbines could do with full house .45 Colt!!! For an idea, look at all the Lever guns in this chambering!
Still waiting for that Taurus in 10 mm!!!

There were inquiries about having them built in 10mm Marlin said that the required too heavy of a bolt to place inside the action. That's all I remember.

@Medic! .357magnum and .44Magnum or notorious for having big increases in their velocities out of a carbine barrel over a handgun barrel. Auto cartridges just don't have that increase, percentage-wise. 9/40/45 can all expect about 200fps increase out of a carbine barrel. 357Sig, though based on the 357mag just isn't the same kind of performer, relatively speaking, out of a carbine barrel.

Then, the main issue becomes whether your choice of bullet will perform adequately at the increased velocity. 100-200fps shouldn't make a big difference, theoretically, but our self defense bullets these days were designed from the ground up as pistol cartridges, with certain velocities. Take a bullet designed for impact at a 1000fps, drive it to 1200-1300fps, and I've heard that you get more case separations or over-expansion. But I've never done any testing of this.

Some of the recent posts remind me of an outfit back in the 90s called Le Mag that made M1 Carbine conversions in .45 Winchester Magnum and .50 Action Express. They may have done 10mm Auto conversions too, but I only really remember the first two. I don't recall how well they worked though. And, as far as I can see, they are no longer around.

Last Edited:
Commercially loaded 10mm ammo is usually no stronger than 40. Ya gotta load it yourself for good 10mm performance. I only bring up the obvious because bbti uses commercial ammo for their tests. I bet 10mm could be even BETTER with purpose-built carbine ammo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR