JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My understanding is that the Sheriff's office must issue a CHL within 45 days of application, assuming the background check and all that passes. I've just relocated from Polk to Marion county and discovered that just to update my license, I have to go through the whole process over. In addition, the Marion County Sheriff's office schedules appointments for their CHL applications... 2 months out. To update my CHL (which is invalid for me to use right now), I must wait 2 months + up to 45 days. Does anyone know a way around this? Can I just stop by the office and say, "Here's my application," since they would have received the application? It seems to go very much against the spirit of the law (speaking of, does anyone have a reference to the exact law? I can't seem to find it. I really want to re-read it.)

My understanding is that the Sheriff's office must issue a CHL within 45 days of application, assuming the background check and all that passes. I've just relocated from Polk to Marion county and discovered that just to update my license, I have to go through the whole process over. In addition, the Marion County Sheriff's office schedules appointments for their CHL applications... 2 months out. To update my CHL (which is invalid for me to use right now), I must wait 2 months + up to 45 days. Does anyone know a way around this? Can I just stop by the office and say, "Here's my application," since they would have received the application? It seems to go very much against the spirit of the law (speaking of, does anyone have a reference to the exact law? I can't seem to find it. I really want to re-read it.)

Found this on their website for ya :

Looks like they will print one out for you at the appointment... I waited longer than that for my non-resident chl appointment in Columbia. ( if it makes you feel better ) :D

For TRANSFERS. Schedule your appointment by calling (503) 588-5094. At the time of your appointment bring:

Completed application (both pages).
Your Oregon Driver's License, showing your current Marion County address.
Your current/expired Concealed Handgun License from another Oregon county.
$15 ito transfer or $50 if your current license is about to expire and you wish to renew your license for another four years.
We will update your information and perform a background check. If you qualify for renewal, we will print and issue you a new Concealed Handgun License at the end of the appointment.
All transfers are required to be fingerprinted for a fee of $15.

Oh, that's a plus; at least it's down to 60 days from up to 105. Sometimes I wish I were a lawyer (something tells me these practices are not what the State had in mind). Then other times, I think better of it... :p

LOL

Yeah. Make your appointment now if you have not. I'm sure someone that understands the 45 day rule will chime in. I am not a resident and am licensed to carry in Washington so it wasn't anything more than an annoyance for me. If I were you, it would irritate me more. In my research this is not unusual as of July 2013. Columbia did it to me, Multnomah did it to my wife, I have read others on this board with similar stories.

Maybe call and ask if they have had any cancellations. My wife did this in Multnomah and cut her wait down by several weeks.

Oh, calling to check for cancellations: good idea.

Yeah , you never know. My mouth hit the floor when she told me they moved her appointment up a few weeks. I asked how the hell she managed that ? She said I just called them and asked if they had any cancellations, they did.

0_o

She has hers in her purse, I'm still waiting on mine....

My wife got moved ahead like 3 months in MultCo.

I have seen alot of negative comments about Multnomah. We were VERY impressed with the way the process worked, nice folks as well. We are not even residents either. Fast, professional, very helpful when we were just starting the process. Answered questions via email, phone. Worked great for us.

Columbia was awesome as well, still waiting for the permit though.

I was rather impressed when they moved her forward a few months when she called. They earned a few points in that respect, but it would be much easier/faster if they didn't require you to mail in your application, then wait for them to process it. They add another month or two to the whole process by doing it this way.

Yeah. In Polk County it was very simple. Go in, fill out application. Someone's there to take finger prints (may have to wait 30-45 minutes, but no biggy). Get license a week later in the mail. No appointment necessary. I've heard that the Sheriff of Marion County actually meets every one of the applicants. I'm not quite sure why he'd bother, since Oregon is a shall-issue state, but I guess he's free to do that... Probably has political reasons for it; might look good to the voters.

I got my out of state Washington license, and it was the same, walk in, drop off paperwork, pay/take finger prints, walk out. I want to say that I was out of there in about 15 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top