JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Corbett man gets probation, house arrest after threatening teens with a gun and leaving them stranded
By Aimee Green, The Oregonian
February 10, 2010, 5:56PM
William Everett Willis was irate at the way an 18-year-old with a carload of teenagers was driving one night, so he decided to teach them a lesson.

The 29-year-old Corbett man followed close behind during the Oct. 25 incident. When the other driver stopped along Larch Mountain Road near Corbett, Willis stopped, too. The teens, in the area for a party, later told police that Willis ordered them out of their car at gunpoint and told them to lay on the ground.

They feared that Willis might kill them.

william-willisfeb112010jpg-cf303a166e3bde97_small.jpg
William Everett Willis

"Does your friend want to die?" he reportedly asked at one point. He also warned them to stay out of the area. "This is so none of you guys will come out here again! I don't want to see you in Corbett again!"

Then he took their car keys and drove off.

Wednesday, Willis pleaded guilty in Multnomah County Circuit Court to four counts of unlawful use of a weapon. As part of a plea agreement, Judge Michael Marcus sentenced him to three years of probation and 120 days of house arrest. He will be allowed to leave for work or other reasons approved by his probation officer, and will wear an electronic monitoring device.

The judge also ordered Willis, now 30, to pay each of his five victims $500. Two guns that were confiscated from his home were destroyed.

Oregon sentencing guidelines recommended probation and up to 90 days in jail. But Deputy District Attorney Christine Mascal that given jail crowding and Willis' lack of previous convictions, he probably would have been released far earlier.

After Willis drove off that night, the teens -- ages 15 to 18 and from Gresham, Happy Valley, Clackamas and Oregon City -- walked to get help. They didn't know who Willis was until a few days later, when Willis, apparently rethinking what he'd done, gave the keys to someone he knew would return them.

From there, Multnomah County sheriff's deputies were able to identify Willis.

-- Aimee Green

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2010/02/corbett_man_gets_probation_hou.html

The title of the thread makes it sound like you're surprised. This guy has anger problems, I'm surprised they didn't throw him in jail for this. It's not a felony? Wow.

I love how something like this isn't a felony, but something stupid like shooting a streetlight in the metro area is.

I think the story is written unfairly. I'd bet the kids were driving like a---holes. probably brake checked the dude or tailgated him. then he did what he did....
Im torn on my decision, I think if the guy had an anger problem he would have pistol whipped or kicked or punched someone. but he just scared the piss out of them. I really think what he did was wrong to a point. (and Im not posting for arguments sake) but I kinda think in my heart those suckers had something coming to them, and it turned out is was a little scarier than they expected. By the way the guy should have just thrown the keys away instead of giving them to a someone that basically ratted him out.
I know I know.....it was still wrong, but its a small glimpse of street justice perhaps.

The title of the thread makes it sound like you're surprised. This guy has anger problems, I'm surprised they didn't throw him in jail for this. It's not a felony? Wow.

I love how something like this isn't a felony, but something stupid like shooting a streetlight in the metro area is.

I agree! This is the kind of guy I would like to see in jail, that is way over the top.

An interesting outcome;

Man runs down car. Kids pull over on the road. Man walks towards car with gun pointed. Kid, freshly 21 with a brand new CHL, shoots attacker while opening the door.

I think the story is written unfairly. I'd bet the kids were driving like a---holes. probably brake checked the dude or tailgated him. then he did what he did....
Im torn on my decision, I think if the guy had an anger problem he would have pistol whipped or kicked or punched someone. but he just scared the piss out of them. I really think what he did was wrong to a point. (and Im not posting for arguments sake) but I kinda think in my heart those suckers had something coming to them, and it turned out is was a little scarier than they expected. By the way the guy should have just thrown the keys away instead of giving them to a someone that basically ratted him out.
I know I know.....it was still wrong, but its a small glimpse of street justice perhaps.

I don't disagree that they had something coming, but I think it's the right result, his response was over the top compared to their actions. And this is the kind of situation that can easily lead to an unintended shooting, etc.

I agree the sentence was light, but that's what you get when the jails are full.

Imho it's called taking the law into your own hands, and false imprisonment. I could add assault, probably with a deadly weapon. (non aggravated.)

I think the perp got off lucky.

An interesting outcome;

Man runs down car. Kids pull over on the road. Man walks towards car with gun pointed. Kid, freshly 21 with a brand new CHL, shoots attacker while opening the door.

That's exactly what would have happened had he approached me in my car.

The only time I've drawn my gun (I still concealed it) was when a Mexican gangster chola wannabe got out of his car and approached my car trying to impress his girl friend, I was stopped at the light behind a car so I couldn't escape, his girl friend called him off before he got to my car which likely saved his life depending on whether he planned to run his mouth or attack.

In no way,shape or form,do i condone what this guy did, and it sounds like bad judgement on his part,, but i wonder what the whole story is behind this. there must have been something that happened that set him off?
was there some kind of confrontaion with the teenagers that set him off?.

He did get off lucky. We should all feel compelled to REPORT drunk drivers, but never confront them like this. I was behind a car one night that was all over the road. I followed with lots of space between us and called the police who responded pretty quickly.

Guy was wasted and spent the night in jail. I forget the number but I want to say it was like his 8th DUI!

People like that really probably should be shot, at least in the knees so they have to have someone else drive them...I'm not going to be the one to do it tho!

Furthermore, we have all seen the videos of even POLICE unintentionally discharge weapons into themselves, or nearly into a suspects head after he was already handcuffs. What if one of the teens in the car was your son or daughter, they are somebodies sons or daughter...what if the gun went off? If he let himself get that angry, who is to say he couldn't have subconciously squeezed the trigger and killed one of the kids?

So this guy can still own a gun? I know they confiscated/destroyed the ones he had, but if this isn't a felony then what is to keep him from owning firearms in the future, a right that he has clearly proven incompitent to keep. I cannot believe he got off this easy.

Yes, it is, especially because his intent was to deprive them of their property.

On the last post...Felony convictions are not the only thing keeping you from owning a firearm. Certain other serious offenses, even misdomeanors can keep you from purchasing for at least a period of time if not outright.

Yes, it is, especially because his intent was to deprive them of their property.

On the last post...Felony convictions are not the only thing keeping you from owning a firearm. Certain other serious offenses, even misdomeanors can keep you from purchasing for at least a period of time if not outright.

All I know is this guy should never be legal to own a firearm again. Maybe they did take away that right and it wasn't reported, but it should have been. There are a lot of guys who can't own guns because they got into a heated arguement with their wife (not defending abusers, but in some cases there was no physical contact), and what this guy did was WAY beyond that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top