JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
the same people who mandate gun laws that cost us money and effort to comply with, are asking us to accept voting can't require ID to vote because it is unlawful to impose a burden on voting? My dogs know what fair looks like.

I just dont see how a DIY fixed pin mod is going to be a deciding factor from an FFL to allow a sale to go thru.
An example manual loading 5.56 rifle would not have a gas system. Upper receiver hole where gas tube normally enters would be "permanently" plugged. BCG would have bearings in place of gas key. Barrel would have no gas port or gas block would be plugged and welded. Pivot pin would be "permanently" positioned in closed position.

Even with all these mods there will still be FFLs who won't want to deal with it but there will be some who will.

An example manual loading 5.56 rifle would not have a gas system. Upper receiver hole where gas tube normally enters would be "permanently" plugged. BCG would have bearings in place of gas key. Barrel would have no gas port or gas block would be plugged and welded. Pivot pin would be "permanently" positioned in closed position.

Even with all these mods there will still be FFLs who won't want to deal with it but there will be some who will.
Manual loading like a single shot?
To me if youve gone that far its no longer an AR15 and I still dont see how the DIY pin mod would tip the scale. It wouldnt matter at that point. If (or when... :( ) we get there then Id just buy a lever gun for long arm self defense.

Manual loading like a single shot?
To me if youve gone that far its no longer an AR15 and I still dont see how the DIY pin mod would tip the scale. It wouldnt matter at that point. If (or when... :( ) we get there then Id just buy a lever gun for long arm self defense.
Single shot ARs is all they can have in the UK and people still want them. I am guessing if IP 18 is approved by voters there will still be people looking for an AR, even if it is single shot.

Yes, it would definitely hinder things but most repairs or part replacements could still happen with some ingenuity. Even a barrel replacement.

There is other ways to do it with a drill press. Both are really bad ideas because someone will try to hammer them out and destroy the receiver.

To permanently fix the front pin. Drill the take down pin detent hole deeper. You will never get the pin out without damaging the receiver.

To make it to require tools to remove, after drilling the detent hole deeper, drill a small hole from the bottom of the detent hole through the other side of the detent pin head. Then you can use paper clip to push the dentent pin to release the take down pin. This only works if the handguard allows clearance for a paper clip.
To permanently fix the front pin. Drill the take down pin detent hole deeper. You will never get the pin out without damaging the receiver.
Yes, it would definitely hinder things but most repairs or part replacements could still happen with some ingenuity. Even a barrel replacement.

There is other ways to do it with a drill press. Both are really bad ideas because someone will try to hammer them out and destroy the receiver.

To make it to require tools to remove, after drilling the detent hole deeper, drill a small hole from the bottom of the detent hole through the other side of the detent pin head. Then you can use paper clip to push the dentent pin to release the take down pin. This only works if the handguard allows clearance for a paper clip.

Drill the detent hole in the pivot pin a little deeper?

Single shot ARs is all they can have in the UK and people still want them. I am guessing if IP 18 is approved by voters there will still be people looking for an AR, even if it is single shot.
Does IP18 ban grandfathered existing ARs?

I do get that compliant ARs have a following in prohibition states but I wont be one of them it just loses the whole point to me but I do get what your trying to accomplish.

Does IP18 ban grandfathered existing ARs?

I do get that compliant ARs have a following in prohibition states but I wont be one of them it just loses the whole point to me but I do get what your trying to accomplish.
Yes IP 18 has a grandfather clause but to legally keep them you have to register them and most importantly you can not transfer them except on death.

Yes IP 18 has a grandfather clause but to legally keep them you have to register them and most importantly you can not transfer them except on death.
sounds like we need to buy some more lowers then...

So if IP18 passes, are you basically wanting to convert your newly prohibited AR to something you can legally sell ?

FWIW
Back in the day some Moron (I think his name was Karen) at Colt decided it would be a good idea to prevent the unclean masses from easily breaking AR-15's into two pieces . Their method was to require the use of a tool (a screw driver) to separate the halves. For a time civilian AR-15's came with a barrel nut and screw in place of the front takedown pin. The first modification most owners made was to replace the nut and screw with a proper takedown pin.

sounds like we need to buy some more lowers then...

So if IP18 passes, are you basically wanting to convert your newly prohibited AR to something you can legally sell ?
Yes, something I could legally keep without registering and legally transfer if I decided to part with it.

FWIW
Back in the day some Moron (I think his name was Karen) at Colt decided it would be a good idea to prevent the unclean masses from easily breaking AR-15's into two pieces . Their method was to require the use of a tool (a screw driver) to separate the halves. For a time civilian AR-15's came with a barrel nut and screw in place of the front takedown pin. The first modification most owners made was to replace the nut and screw with a proper takedown pin.
I have seen those pins, they remind me of the anti walk trigger pins.

FWIW

I just so happen to have a Colt marked AR-15A2 SP-II (with integral forged A2 brass deflector and A1 rear sight) with slab-side (pre A1 lower) front large-hole barrel nut/screw that I bought back in '87.

I'm inclined to leave it all original instead of getting a large-hole pin kit for it. I've never had the need to really separate the upper and lower other than to see "if I could".

This video is a good example of how people will appreciate a single shot AR when it's all they have access to.

Nope, that negates the entire point of a civilian AR.

If it gets to the point we're only allowed to have single shots, I'll get a proper one, like a Cooper.

I will never "appreciate" a neutered AR. It's hard enough to care about them without the 3rd selector position.

Yes, something I could legally keep without registering and legally transfer if I decided to part with it.
Why not just enjoy your legally registered grandfathered in AR till your too old? Ive pretty much given up on the idea of reselling any AR style guns if bans are passed.

Why not just enjoy your legally registered grandfathered in AR till your too old? Ive pretty much given up on the idea of reselling any AR style guns if bans are passed.
now it's just how many do I feel the need to have buried with me. Sadly, I will need to buy more as the bottom fell out of the boat with my gun safe in in it, out in Lake Huron last month.

I will but I like options and not being able to transfer them legally doesn't sit well with me.
I like your ingenuity, but not seeing the logic in converting an grandfathered AR to one that doesn't need registering since that will add to the overall cost of the (previously) grandfathered rifle negating any value in reselling later. Someone new to ARs after the ban goes in effect would be better off just buying a new single shot AR to play with to trade off later.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top