JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget drums too!

adaptive-tactical-sidewinder-kit-mossberg-500-review-built.jpg

Well he did call the glock and the garand a "gun" so even the mag/clip anal retentive people get things wrong sometimes.

It took a guy over 8 minutes in a video to explain the differences between a clip and a magazine?
And here I thought a clip was used to load a magazine ... sheesh! LOL
You know "Stripper Clip" , "EnBloc Clip" etc ...
Andy

Every time someone get their panties knotted up about clip vs magazine--and I've
seen some vein poppin' spittle spewing RANTS about the subject---I think of
this:

"I corrected my point of aim, and the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift.
I put in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift."

The gun? A 1911 .45. The writer----Elmer Keith. Anybody think Elmer was an idiot?

Hell, I Was There!, page 190

If it's that important that someone feels compelled to nit-pick you...
...it's generally because they're not so much informing you, as they're showing you who's the boss.

Pick the term that fits your groups dynamic if you want to, stay with it, buy lots of the ones you need, fill 'em, shoot 'em, fill 'em, shoot 'em frequently, and for the love of everything that's good and Holy...
...................JUST DON'T PUT THE WORD "BANANA" IN FRONT OF IT!!:mad:

On the off chance you weren't talking about gun stuff....
MAGAZINE
gunhunter.565.jpg

CLIP
img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=47347286.jpg

They're not both guns??? What am I missing?
In military terminology a "gun" is artillery, not a personal weapon. A rifle is not a gun, it is a "rifle" or a "weapon". I'm not in the military at this moment and don't have access to artillery so it doesn't bother at all to call my rifle a gun. It also doesn't bother me to call a pistol magazine a clip, though somehow it seems wrong to call a rifle magazine a clip. I wonder why? It's not logical.

I read somewhere that there's some specific history on this controversy, dating to WWII. The story goes that since both the M1 rifle and M1 carbine were widely used they were worried about serious logistical problems from soldiers using the wrong word. Imagine desperately calling for more "M1 clips" for your Garand, only to have someone risk their life to bring you some bandoliers full of carbine mags? Serious stuff- soldiers could die.

So- this story goes- it was literally beaten into new recruits that they should never call a magazine a clip, and vice versa. It was life or death important to these soldiers and they passed that down to subsequent generations as life or death important. I don't know how true that story is, but it would help explain how upset some guys get when a newbie uses the wrong word. :)

BTW, there are "clips" that hold more than 10 rounds. AK74 stripper clips hold 15; slickest charging system I've ever seen. Oh, can't forget the 36 round stripper clips for the Swedish K.

It took a guy over 8 minutes in a video to explain the differences between a clip and a magazine?
And here I thought a clip was used to load a magazine ... sheesh! LOL
You know "Stripper Clip" , "EnBloc Clip" etc ...
Andy
Hickok45 tends to go on about stuff. He shoots some pretty neat guns from time to time, so I usually enjoy watching. But yeah, 8 minutes for a 2 minute explanation.

"I corrected my point of aim, and the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift.
I put in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift."

The gun? A 1911 .45. The writer----Elmer Keith. Anybody think Elmer was an idiot?

Hell, I Was There!, page 190[/QUOTE]
At the risk of incurring wrath .... If I want to know about the .44 magnim I'll read what Keith wrote. The same if I want an opinion of large bore rifles.
While I do not think Kieth was an idiot , the 1911 pistol uses a magazine.
Just 'cause he had lots of experience in certain matters and a famous gun wrtter to boot , dosen't mean the he wasn't guilty of using slang or getting word wrong a long the way.
Now off to gun Hell for saying something against Elmer Keith LOL.
Andy

In military terminology a "gun" is artillery, not a personal weapon. A rifle is not a gun, it is a "rifle" or a "weapon". I'm not in the military at this moment and don't have access to artillery so it doesn't bother at all to call my rifle a gun. It also doesn't bother me to call a pistol magazine a clip, though somehow it seems wrong to call a rifle magazine a clip. I wonder why? It's not logical.

I read somewhere that there's some specific history on this controversy, dating to WWII. The story goes that since both the M1 rifle and M1 carbine were widely used they were worried about serious logistical problems from soldiers using the wrong word. Imagine desperately calling for more "M1 clips" for your Garand, only to have someone risk their life to bring you some bandoliers full of carbine mags? Serious stuff- soldiers could die.

So- this story goes- it was literally beaten into new recruits that they should never call a magazine a clip, and vice versa. It was life or death important to these soldiers and they passed that down to subsequent generations as life or death important. I don't know how true that story is, but it would help explain how upset some guys get when a newbie uses the wrong word. :)

BTW, there are "clips" that hold more than 10 rounds. AK74 stripper clips hold 15; slickest charging system I've ever seen. Oh, can't forget the 36 round stripper clips for the Swedish K.

They call them a "SAW" nowadays, but the M60 machinegun (predecessor to the M249 SAW for you "young kids" out there) was the only weapon we refered to as a "gun" w/o getting verbally stomped into the ground over during basic training... "gun" was in the frikken nomenclature for gawd's sake! :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top