JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I corrected my point of aim, and the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift.
I put in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift."

The gun? A 1911 .45. The writer----Elmer Keith. Anybody think Elmer was an idiot?

Hell, I Was There!, page 190
At the risk of incurring wrath .... If I want to know about the .44 magnim I'll read what Keith wrote. The same if I want an opinion of large bore rifles.
While I do not think Kieth was an idiot , the 1911 pistol uses a magazine.
Just 'cause he had lots of experience in certain matters and a famous gun wrtter to boot , dosen't mean the he wasn't guilty of using slang or getting word wrong a long the way.
Now off to gun Hell for saying something against Elmer Keith LOL.
Andy[/QUOTE]

Burn the heretic!

:)

Every time someone get their panties knotted up about clip vs magazine--and I've
seen some vein poppin' spittle spewing RANTS about the subject---I think of
this:

"I corrected my point of aim, and the next five shots in the clip went into the snowdrift.
I put in a new clip and put them all in the snowdrift."

The gun? A 1911 .45. The writer----Elmer Keith. Anybody think Elmer was an idiot?

Hell, I Was There!, page 190

Yes, I think Elmer Keith was an idiot!:)

My older brother was an E-7 DI in the Army during SE Asia War Games and HE calls magazines "clips". I don't say anything but do wince a little.
We might have that discussion in about 20 years when he can't get out of the hospital bed.

I can remember gun ads in the 60's and maybe 70's that used the word clip for
what we now call a magazine. Words change over time---
Gay used to mean happy---and thongs used to be worn on the feet.
I think I'll go load a few hundred rounds for the weekend, and not be concerned
if someone calls a bent piece of sheet metal something other than what I do.

Now calling a rifle without full auto capability an "Assault Rifle"-----:mad::mad::mad:

"Just 'cause he had lots of experience in certain matters and a famous gun wrtter to boot , dosen't mean the he wasn't guilty of using slang or getting word wrong a long the way."

I think the point was just that it was not considered the wrong word back then. Looking back you will fine plenty of references to "pistol clips" in industry and military literature. It was a perfectly acceptable usage of the word, until somebody decided that it wasn't.This is historical fact. I dare anyone to find evidence of anyone ranting against someone using the word "clip" in the 1930's.

I firmly believe that the reason so many of us get so upset about it is the generations of green recruits that would get verbally and physically assaulted for using the wrong terminology.

No, clip is not an accepted term nowadays to describe a detachable box magazine, but it WAS in the past. People who cling to archaic terminology are not always idiots or "ignorant turds" as some people seem to think. Sure, those Hollywood and media types that talk about "assault clips" and such are ignorant morons, but maybe cut Grandpa a little slack. :)

Last Edited:
"Just 'cause he had lots of experience in certain matters and a famous gun wrtter to boot , dosen't mean the he wasn't guilty of using slang or getting word wrong a long the way."

I think the point was just that it was not considered the wrong word back then. Looking back you will fine plenty of references to "pistol clips" in industry and military literature. It was a perfectly acceptable usage of the word, until somebody decided that it wasn't.This is historical fact. I dare anyone to find evidence of anyone ranting against someone using the word "clip" in the 1930's.

I firmly believe that the reason so many of us get so upset about it is the generations of green recruits that would get verbally and physically assaulted for using the wrong terminology.

No, clip is not an accepted term nowadays to describe a detachable box magazine, but it WAS in the past. People who cling to archaic terminology are not always idiots or "ignorant turds" as some people seem to think. Sure, those Hollywood and media types that talk about "assault clips" and such are ignorant morons, but maybe cut Grandpa a little slack. :)

Correct

My old man forgot more firearm knowledge than I will ever know and still uses the word. But he's old school and doesn't use the interweb much so he probably hasn't seen any cute memes telling him he's wrong.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top