JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On a similar line…has anyone ever drilled and tapped a sporterized military surplus rifle for a scout scope or additional irons? Not sure if it would even be worth the cost to drill and tap.

There is what appears to be a nicely sporterized Husqvarna Mauser on the racks at the LGS here, for a pretty nice price. I've looked at it a couple times, and would be tempted except I haven't hunted in decades, and just have no practical use for it.

A sporterized rifle is only ruined as an original collectible. If well done it's still a nice hunting rifle, and a desirable piece of history in it's own right. Back in the day, these military rifles were just cheap, plentiful surplus. Most of the gunsmiths and hunters of the '50s, '60s, and '70s didn't think much about future collector value, just the current practical value.

What's especially sad are poorly done specimens, especial if recently butchered. It's a little like seeing someone walk into a coin shop to sell some collectible coins: "I found these really old silver dollars in my late grandma's stuff. They're in perfect condition! See- I polished them all up for you!" :eek:

Just to add to this convo. I did the opposite I found a Feb 1918 M1903 that had been roughly sporterized BUT had not been altered in a way that would prevent it from going back to Original condition. I bought up the missing parts and then Bought a Boyds 1903 stock and extensively reworked it until it looked like a dead ringer for a Finger groove Springfield stock. I used the original factory stock dimensions to guide my work. It doesn't have the value of a rifle with an original stock but an original stock would have set me back twice what I paid for the rifle.

This is the results

Jne8REg.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top