JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How far and whatcha shooting at ?
I've got a few AR10s and I switch between LPVOs, and higher mag scopes, which depends on circumstances.
I have the luxury of switching between them in a leisurely manner, but if I had to pick one for all round usage, I'd go FFP 3-18 with a 45 degree red dot- why ? I use the 1-8 at either 1X or 8X, don't think I've ever used it between. At 1X it's good, but it's not as quick or bright as a red dot, plus your head is position is constrained by the scopes eye box so you lose some situational awareness.
8X is pretty useful and I'm told is good for out to 800 yards, but 18X is even better...plus you can wind it down to 10-12X if you want.

Last Edited:
I think the reality of holding an AR10 with all that on it, canted at 45 degrees to use a red dot is unrealistic for just about every scenario of any length of time beyond the fun range trip. How much is this thing going to weigh, what's it going to be used for, or what is the intended purpose? I consider myself a strong guy, and I don't want to "run and gun" with an AR10 and a canted red dot and a 3x18 scope on it. 1x8 seems like the clear winner to me for a "general purpose" rifle.

The 3x18 is a cool scope, 3x can be used easily enough for shorter distances, but then again I would wonder what is going to be accomplished by having 3-18 with an AR 10.

The jack of all trades is always the master of none. If you are trying to put together a utilitarian AR10, I'd put a 1x8 on it and then start lifting weights.

There's some very broad generalizations there- It's not like all AR10s weigh the same. My POF revolution weighs 6.9lbs buck naked, my MWS weighs a little over 9 1/2 lbs. The OP is building his own, so he has some flexibility there.
Likewise a Vortex razor 3-18 weighs 47oz, my Sig T6 3-18 weighs 31 oz, and there's many that are lighter still.
My Trijicon 1-8 weighs 28 oz, a NX8 weighs 17 oz
Holosun 507 red dot in a mount weighs a little over 2 oz.
So if weight is a concern, shop accordingly.
My rifle doesn't get heavier held at 45 degrees and neither does their seem to be any extra cost to my musculoskeletal system, but I haven't tested this to failure.
Everything else comes down to practice and preference- I liked a red dot on top of ACOG until I found canting the rifle 45 degrees was easier than breaking cheek weld, bobbing my head up and down...
Still need the OP to say a little more about how he sees using his mid-range AR10.
I like the 1-8, but personally find 8X falls short of the cartridges range-

GRSC 1-10 FFP

IMG_0261.jpg

Sig 3-18
IMG_0262.jpg

Trijicon 1-8
IMG_0264.jpg

I want a rifle that can consistently hit at 1000 or less without much trouble and be able to do some run and gun stuff if need be. Right now my build is pretty light except the magpul buttstock I got is a little on the heavier side which is concerning. I'm kind of looking at the primary arms 3-18 or maybe saving up for something a little better. And going with a holosun micro red dot. Thanks for your guys input

There's some very broad generalizations there- It's not like all AR10s weigh the same. My POF revolution weighs 6.9lbs buck naked, my MWS weighs a little over 9 1/2 lbs. The OP is building his own, so he has some flexibility there.
Likewise a Vortex razor 3-18 weighs 47oz, my Sig T6 3-18 weighs 31 oz, and there's many that are lighter still.
My Trijicon 1-8 weighs 28 oz, a NX8 weighs 17 oz
Holosun 507 red dot in a mount weighs a little over 2 oz.
So if weight is a concern, shop accordingly.
My rifle doesn't get heavier held at 45 degrees and neither does their seem to be any extra cost to my musculoskeletal system, but I haven't tested this to failure.
Everything else comes down to practice and preference- I liked a red dot on top of ACOG until I found canting the rifle 45 degrees was easier than breaking cheek weld, bobbing my head up and down...
Still need the OP to say a little more about how he sees using his mid-range AR10.
I like the 1-8, but personally find 8X falls short of the cartridges range-

GRSC 1-10 FFP

View attachment 828917

Sig 3-18
View attachment 828918

Trijicon 1-8
View attachment 828919

You are right, those were some big generalizations. Weighing mine, with light, BUIS, 1x8 variable, and STR stock with limbsaver. It comes in at about 10.8 lbs. That's a 18 inch barrel with what might be described as a medium profile.

A similarly set up AR15 with a 16" barrel weighs in at 8.6 lbs. They have different rails, mounts, so not a perfect comparison.

I'm not saying that someone can't definitely handle the additional weight, depending on what they are trying to do, the rifle is merely one component of what they might be carrying weight wise and I'm also not sure how far they plan to "man port" it. The offset red dot works plenty fine, again, it just depends on what you are trying to do.

It would be cool to see the rifle in action that rings a target reliably at 1000 yards and also is set up to do short red dot distance stuff.

Without knowing the exact parameters that it would be used in, I errored on the side of generalized statements. OP can definitely take whatever might be helpful from my statement and discard the rest.

primary Arms make very nice scopes- might be worth checking out Brownells Japanese made MPO 3-18. (https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=92)
I bought the 5-25 version and it's very nice indeed for the price.
Because I'm a miserly tightwad, and will happily scavenge other peoples castoffs, I found Dvor (optics planet outlet ) and Eurooptics (https://www.eurooptic.com/sale/used-scopes.aspx) worth signing up for, they sometimes have great deals on warrantees open box and demo scopes. Also the classifieds here and on Snipershide, as those guys are constantly trading out well looked after gear for the newest & shiniest.
Midway were clearing out the Japanese made Crimson Trace series 5 scopes at 1/2 price...https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619511?pid=961295

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top