JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Doing some research and I've come up with some parameters.

At and under 1x6 = SFP
1x8 and over = FFP
Daylight brightness?
Powered led?
Brands?
I am partial to trijicon…

Any opinions?

I've owned many LPVOs in search of my favorite and also read and watched hundreds of hours of reviews. The best sub-$500 LPVO is the Burris RT-6. It's my optic of choice in the budget LPVO arena and use mine regularly. For around $600 I recommend the Vortex Viper PSTII, or for a little more the Steiner P4Xi which uses excellent Schott glass. For around $1000 things get complicated. Tons of new and used options, all seem good. The Trijicon Accupoint is great and has a brighter reticle than their battery powered options. For a little more I'd say the Vortex Razor 1-6 gen2 is worth the extra coin over the competition in the $1000 bracket, but for around $1000 I'd buy the Accupoint. For over $1000 I prefer my Elcan, the Nightforce NX8 with its tight eyebox but excellent reticle and small footprint, or the Vortex Razor 1-10. I'm not familiar with LPVOs over the $2k range as I can't justify those at this point, but I'm sure the competition is tight in that area as well.

I've owned many LPVOs in search of my favorite and also read and watched hundreds of hours of reviews. The best sub-$500 LPVO is the Burris RT-6. It's my optic of choice in the budget LPVO arena and use mine regularly. For around $600 I recommend the Vortex Viper PSTII, or for a little more the Steiner P4Xi which uses excellent Schott glass. For around $1000 things get complicated. Tons of new and used options, all seem good. The Trijicon Accupoint is great and has a brighter reticle than their battery powered options. For a little more I'd say the Vortex Razor 1-6 gen2 is worth the extra coin over the competition in the $1000 bracket, but for around $1000 I'd buy the Accupoint. For over $1000 I prefer my Elcan, the Nightforce NX8 with its tight eyebox but excellent reticle and small footprint, or the Vortex Razor 1-10. I'm not familiar with LPVOs over the $2k range as I can't justify those at this point, but I'm sure the competition is tight in that area as well.
What type of reticle would you suggest?
Also with the Accupoint once you're in low light don't you lose the brightness? Doesn't it work like the ACOG in regards to gathering light?

What type of reticle would you suggest?
Also with the Accupoint once you're in low light don't you lose the brightness? Doesn't it work like the ACOG in regards to gathering light?
Reticle will depend on two things. What your doing and preference.

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and they had a bunch of optics set out on fake rifles. Of all the LVPOs the one that was way above the others was the Leupold Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20mm. $500 for the base scope, $700 for illuminated. I was pretty blown away by the glass for the price. Where I could see the difference was in the shadows, granted it was just in the store, it was more clear than some of the higher powered scopes. There are tons of other great LPVOs out there but I know for a fact that that one is fantastic, IMO. I don't think anyone would disagree.

I run a Trijicon Credo HX 1-6. It has an etched reticle with marks for windage and elevation, but it's not clutered...the only thing that lights up is a center dot.

On 1x, one can go CQB without magnification distortion at close distance, and with only a lighted dot, it works like a red dot....and the glass is extremely clear and bright...right up there with scopes costing way more.

The first thing I always recommend people look at first, is the clarity of the glass before features or anything else.

Last Edited:
Really need to know your budget. I can't say enough positive about my Kahles K16i with an SM1. Tough, light weight (16.9oz), super clear glass, true 1x, very forgiving eyebox and eye relief, daylight bright and wide field of vision. It is the most red dot like scope I've used.

Have two Trijicon Credo's the 1-8 is a pig but nice but I find myself liking the 1-6 Credo Cerberus mentioned better. Also have an NX8 1-8 which is a great, light compact package but it does have a small eyebox. Kahles is next on my list to try out in the LPVO category. All three optics I mentioned run great and just like a red dot on 1x both eyes open. Depending on your budget I would probably recommend the 1-6 Credo but if you have the coin, I have heard nothing but great things about the Kahles except the price of entry.

I'd say wait longer, save more and don't get a POS glass.
Well, again, it depends on what your doing. Just plinking, hell, get a Monstrum or what ever is cheap if you don't care. Hunting, $300 minimum IMO but $500-800 would be better. Competing, buy the best glass you can find, use credit it if must. It's easy to get a $3k credit card at Sportsman Warehouse. The type of rifle makes a difference also.

He still hasn't told us what it's for.

Leupold VX-6HD is a good option…what ever you decide , don't go cheap on the mount…the mount sets the foundation of the optic and if that's garbage, you won't be able to maintain zero…good mounts on the market are Geissele, badger ordnance , spuhr, and Leupold

I was just going through this decision process for a Tavor 7 I am expecting to show up this week. I was looking at LPVOs, but ended up on a 3.5x ACOG. Most expensive glass I have ever bought. Hope I don't miss the "LP" part of the LPVO too much or it will be an expensive mistake.

I was just going through this decision process for a Tavor 7 I am expecting to show up this week. I was looking at LPVOs, but ended up on a 3.5x ACOG. Most expensive glass I have ever bought. Hope I don't miss the "LP" part of the LPVO too much or it will be an expensive mistake.
If you keep both eyes open, you shouldn't run into any problems. You just don't have the the "V" variable.

My TA01 was expensive (for me) but I'll tell you what; looking through one for the first time was an "...oh. I get it..." moment, to be sure. Very happy with mine.

My TA01 was expensive (for me) but I'll tell you what; looking through one for the first time was an "...oh. I get it..." moment, to be sure. Very happy with mine.
I went with the TA110 for the extra eye relief. Really excited to try it out. Midway had some of the .308 version on closeout with a great price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top