JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I appreciate the info on the other loads, but I still can't tell what they would really do in a .30-06 case. I have found someone that will 'loan' me their loading setup (I already have '-06 dies), but it isn't the most convenient route.

As per @zenbreath, I was hoping someone had direct experience, or knew how to calculate the real pressure produced by a load. I could do some trial loads and the old lash it to a tree and tie a string to the trigger, but I'm not excited about the possibility of scattering bits of a 147 year old rifle across the real estate.

I think you might be over thinking this a bit. The only way to measure actual pressures is with a test barrel either pizio - electric or copper crush. You can extrapolate if you wish with a "best guess" philosophy or you can call an expert like my sigjusted Western Powders balistiction. In my western powders reloading manual the have 3 reduced loads for the '06 all with cast bullets and 5744 powder. These loads don't state a pressure but are all about 2000 fps so my "best guess" would be about 30-30 pressures.

DuPont and successor IMR Powders put out a load data booklet that listed all of the appropriate IMR numbers for a given cartridge and bullet weight. It was pretty handy. I'm sitting here looking at the 1990 edition. They advise 10% reduction from their recommended loads. The data they show for .30-40 Krag looks like reductions of from 10% to 20% those for .30-06 and all are under 40,000 psi. They show loads across the entire line of IMR powders available in 1990, which is most of what is still available. When I put together reduced loads for .30-06 (and 8mm Mauser) I usually go with the faster rifle powders, like 4227 or 4198. A favorite for this purpose is SR 4759 which is no longer available. But AA 5744 is similar. IMR 4895 may be safely reduced by 2/5 of full charge. Stick powders are preferred for reduced charge loads. This recommendation is for jacketed bullets.
Screenshot_20191023-135533_Drive.jpg

There is. It's called a .308 :D

Yep, you can always load the 30-06 down to 300 savage and 308 winchester levels, but suffice it to say (and this is going to hurt the 308win fan boys feelers), you can not load the 308 up to max 30-06 levels...:s0133:That's why the 30-06 is bestest...:D

Per SAAMI 30-06 has a Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) of 50,000 CUP, 308 has MAP of 52,000 CUP. ;)

https://saami.org/wp-content/upload...99.4-CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Dude, you are either giving me a daily laugh or putting out solid advice. Kudos! :s0155:
Never tried this load, but it should work. Any time you lower bullet weight, recoil weight will go down. Pressures usually start climbing with increases of bullet weight, and with burning rates with increase in powders amounts. This powder was the original 30-06 powder for Garands and their match loading also. Because of their gas actions critical pressures and bullet weights for that reason.

Never tried this load, but it should work. Any time you lower bullet weight, recoil weight will go down. Pressures usually start climbing with increases of bullet weight, and with burning rates with increase in powders amounts. This powder was the original 30-06 powder for Garands and their match loading also. Because of their gas actions critical pressures and bullet weights for that reason.

When I get to loading for the Garand H4895 will be the powder as it was recommended by several people. Reading that statement just solidifies what a great choice it is. Now if I can find it on the shelf here in PDX somewhere? Or I'd maybe do a bulk buy and see if there are folks here that would be interested buying some of it for cost after I get it to me.

When I get to loading for the Garand H4895 will be the powder as it was recommended by several people. Reading that statement just solidifies what a great choice it is. Now if I can find it on the shelf here in PDX somewhere? Or I'd maybe do a bulk buy and see if there are folks here that would be interested buying some of it for cost after I get it to me.
IMR 4895 was the original Garand powder. H4895 and IMR 4064 were also used in government arsenal loads so you can't go wrong with any of the three.

Getting together for bulk buys is a great idea. Maxing out the size of the shipment and then splitting the hazmat / shipping can lead to some pretty good cost per pound purchases.

H 4895 and H 4831 were both surplus powders back in the late 50s and 60s. Still get them any where almost but a little more than the $.50 a pound back than. The other with the same numbers may be close but differ some so check your loading books to be certain. Heavy bullets unless you get the adjustable gas cylinder screw(?) Slipped my mind. but heavy bullets will batter your operating rod using it without adjusting gases. So bullets with standard set up 147 to 168-172 (match)

Still get them any where almost but a little more than the $.50 a pound back than.

In a short search there's no H4895 at Powder Valley, Midway or BiMart. :( I didn't check Sportsman's as they'll probably want $30.00 or more for a lb.

Cabelas is I think 28 or 29$ s for h4895. Bimart has imr 4831 in stock or had had it quite often at my local store and I think I pain $19# on sale for the last few I bought. I am unfortunately in the hospital for who knows how long now so I am not much help except what I can remember. H4895 has been out of stock at bimart since I probably bought the last one 6 or 8 months ago as I tried to buy another one a few days later and they checked and no stores had any in stock and they had no clue why. They had orders open but none coming in. For what it's worth I believe I'm using 4031 in my 1917 30/06. And I think that was the powder that called out best load for 175 as a compressed load.

James

Cabelas is I think 28 or 29$ s for h4895. Bimart has imr 4831 in stock or had had it quite often at my local store and I think I pain $19# on sale for the last few I bought. I am unfortunately in the hospital for who knows how long now so I am not much help except what I can remember. H4895 has been out of stock at bimart since I probably bought the last one 6 or 8 months ago as I tried to buy another one a few days later and they checked and no stores had any in stock and they had no clue why. They had orders open but none coming in. For what it's worth I believe I'm using 4031 in my 1917 30/06. And I think that was the powder that called out best load for 175 as a compressed load.

James

Cabela's has no H4895. If they did it's $31.99/#. I guess rifle powder must take more to manufacture. It seems to be costing roughly 30% more than Handgun powder.

Just checked online as I could have swore I saw a lot a tualatin a week or so ago. You right on the price.

Online shows in stock at tualatin which isn't always right but usually is unless it says low stock. Definitely worth a call for sure.

Screenshot_20191027-083914_Chrome.jpg

James

James
Sorry to hear you're in the hospital. :(
Positive thoughts everything will be ok!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top