JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a message from Anthony who said they accidentally left our jacket up in the Yacolt Burn State Forest, WA, with her pistol in the pocket...

All police have been notified. Call Vanc Police Officier Bauman at 360-601-6145.

I got a message from Anthony who said they accidentally left our jacket up in the Yacolt Burn State Forest, WA, with her pistol in the pocket...

All police have been notified. Call Vanc Police Officier Bauman at 360-601-6145.
Are they re-tracing their steps ?
Is this the couple from Albany ?

Are they re-tracing their steps ?
Is this the couple from Albany ?
They discovered it about 10 PM last night. They searched the area and didn't find anything. So, the notified Vancouver Police and asked me to put the word out hoping that someone hears something and can tip off the police.

No, no one from our groups. They came up to shoot after the cleanup and we met them when we were trying to find an open spot. A guy, lady and young girl.

I sent an email to DNR Police, Scott Essman and gave him the details & contacts.

Bummer!

It sucks when things like this happen
I was shooting with my grandson about a month ago and he set the Ruger Single six down. I got everything packed up to leave and he remembered setting it down and had to go where he set it down to grab it. It could of ended up gone if he didn't remember setting it down.

It sucks when things like this happen
I was shooting with my grandson about a month ago and he set the Ruger Single six down. I got everything packed up to leave and he remembered setting it down and had to go where he set it down to grab it. It could of ended up gone if he didn't remember setting it down.
And yesterday was a jacket on & off every 10 mins type of day. Pretty cold when the clouds came in with some light drizzle, then the sun came out and it's too warm for a jacket. I had my jacket on/off several times all day.

And thinking of time to leave... She had a daughter to look after, pack up the stuff, could have been running late (I always stay too long and get in a hurry to pack up and get going), someone else waiting to use your spot and more. Could easily happen.

However, we really need to be hyper sensitive to the responsibility we own as gun owners. Of all the toys you can play with in the woods, gun ownership demands the utmost attention to the care, handling and storage. It's got to be top-of-mind awareness at all times.

I hope the jacket and pistol are returned soon.
Not judging anyone here at all , happenings like the OP , should serve as a reminder to always take one last look around , at the shooting area , after shooting.
Andy

Every year people use a public restroom and set their gun down while taking a dump and some forget to pick their guns up.
A cop in NYC did it a few years ago.

When I lived in SW an LEO did this in the courthouse. Back when they still had the tank, he puts service piece on tank, walks off. Kid goes in finds it, tells his Dad. Dad SHOULD, have gone to LEO's 50 feet away where the metal detectors where and told them. Instead he picks it up, tries to walk over to them with it in his hand, they took him down hard. Lots of apologizes all around and thank god no one got hurt. I often used to wonder about the poor LEO who's gun it was. You know he must have never lived that one down.
This is my biggest fear at the range, leaving one. I pack up, clean around me, then tend to pick everything up and look at least twice to make sure I did not leave one. They take your phone# at each check in. I suspect for just this reason :)

And yesterday was a jacket on & off every 10 mins type of day. Pretty cold when the clouds came in with some light drizzle, then the sun came out and it's too warm for a jacket. I had my jacket on/off several times all day.

And thinking of time to leave... She had a daughter to look after, pack up the stuff, could have been running late (I always stay too long and get in a hurry to pack up and get going), someone else waiting to use your spot and more. Could easily happen.

However, we really need to be hyper sensitive to the responsibility we own as gun owners. Of all the toys you can play with in the woods, gun ownership demands the utmost attention to the care, handling and storage. It's got to be top-of-mind awareness at all times.
Yep.
I took my not cheap Carharrt rain jacket off and laid it over a stump at the first spot we cleaned up.
It burned a hole in my pocket until I took the time to pick it and put it in the truck, mid-cleanup.

The worst is putting something in the "Donation Zone".
That would be the rear bumper on a pickup.
Got me once. My father's best 3/8" ratchet....gone.

Before I leave a shooting area i triple check to make sure I have all my guns and other personal possessions. I Really hate loosing things even if it's only worth two bits so I try my best not to loose it. Hope you recover your property quickly.

Still no word as to the whereabouts of the gun. Vancouver Police and DNR Police are aware and they have the serial number.

If you hear of anyone talking about finding one, please notify police.

Thanks.

I lost a S&W 627 in Colorado a few years ago. Had it in a thumb break holster and when I got near the bottom of a canyon, it was gone. I sometimes wonder if I removed it from the holster and laid it on my ATV when I was putting my pack on.

I'm sure they feel bad about this and are learning from this unfortunate event.

Over time you develop a routine that reduces/eliminates lost stuff.
If I'm leaving a target shooting area, I scan the target area one last time.
Then the shooting area.
Then I pull out a few feet and scan around where the truck was parked.

If I'm out with the boat, I have a rule....
"It's either in the truck or it's in the boat."
If for whatever special reason, something has to be placed on the ground, that raises a red flag until it's properly taken care of.

So there's my method.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top