JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New gun gadget promises faster, clearer shot | Fox News

R4 Evolution, a new company with roots in the Special Forces community, has developed new pistol sights designed for a clearer sight picture and faster shots.

The Optimized Duty Sight, or ODS, features multiple horizontal and vertical alignment points.

The base of the front sight is designed to fill a notch that’s cut out of the bottom of the rear sight, so if your sights aren’t aligned you see daylight. There is a white vertical line at the base of the front sight that lines up with a matching vertical line at the base of the rear sight. And the rear sight is equipped with two horizontal lines near the top that line up with the dot on the front sight.

When lined up, these features are designed to draw attention to the front sight.

The ODS designer, a retired Special Forces sergeant major and cofounder of R4E, describes it as the “crooked-picture-on-the-wall concept. “You walk into the room; you see a crooked picture on the wall, what does your eye automatically want to do? It wants to fix it,” he said at SHOT Show 2014.

The designer didn’t want to be named, but he spent 23 years in the Army’s 7th and 3rd Special Forces Groups and also played a key role in the Special Forces Close Quarter Battle/Urban Operations courses and the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course, now known as Special Forces Sniper Course.

The ODS also features angle facets on the rear sight to allow the shooter greater target visibility while maintaining sight alignment.

Both front and rear sights are designed with a slight reverse slope to help them bite into belts, steering wheels or any edge for racking the slide.

Besides the new sights, R4E is planning other products, but they are being tight-lipped for now. They maintain that their focus will be to fill capability gaps with original products, priced so they are attainable by the average soldier, police officer or civilian.

“We don’t want to build an AR15 because everybody builds an AR15; we are not trying to reinvent a grid pattern reticle,” said R4E cofounder and retired Special Forces Sgt. 1st Class Chance Giannelli. “We want unique, one-of-a-kind, experienced-based, proven products.” Giannelli also served in 3rd Group and was a former NCOIC at SOTIC.

For now, the ODS is being offered mainly for Glock pistols but will soon be available for all popular makes and models.

“We started with Glock because that is what the operators are carrying … and most police officers carry a Glock 17 or a Glock 19,” the designer said.

Each set of ODS costs about $120 and comes with a front sight tool and an allen wrench for the rear sight set screw.

“A lot of sights don’t come with a tool, and you have to take them to a gunsmith; we wanted it to be one-stop shopping. You buy it; you do it yourself,” he said.

The website will soon feature an installation video, so watch for it. R4E also plans to offer another version of the ODS with a tritium front sight in the near future.

Might be a gimmick, but when it hits the market, wanna bet that 3/4 of the gunners on here will get a set? Well that might be lofty but everything we buy is a gimmick in theory. Bad part it, it makes a little sense with the right up, I guess you don't have to shoot crocked

Lmao. Yet another thing for those guys who like to "modify" their firearm in the hopes that they become better shooters.

I actually did find something that makes everyone a better shooter:

Practice.

Lmao. Yet another thing for those guys who like to "modify" their firearm in the hopes that they become better shooters.

I actually did find something that makes everyone a better shooter:

Practice.

No no no, your wrong, you gotta have a laser, and these sights, plus about 7K to put in a handgun to make it awesomer. Geez, thought you knew

New gun gadget promises faster, clearer shot | Fox News

R4 Evolution, a new company with roots in the Special Forces community, has developed new pistol sights designed for a clearer sight picture and faster shots.

The Optimized Duty Sight, or ODS, features multiple horizontal and vertical alignment points.

The base of the front sight is designed to fill a notch that's cut out of the bottom of the rear sight, so if your sights aren't aligned you see daylight. There is a white vertical line at the base of the front sight that lines up with a matching vertical line at the base of the rear sight. And the rear sight is equipped with two horizontal lines near the top that line up with the dot on the front sight.

When lined up, these features are designed to draw attention to the front sight.

The ODS designer, a retired Special Forces sergeant major and cofounder of R4E, describes it as the "crooked-picture-on-the-wall concept. "You walk into the room; you see a crooked picture on the wall, what does your eye automatically want to do? It wants to fix it," he said at SHOT Show 2014.

The designer didn't want to be named, but he spent 23 years in the Army's 7th and 3rd Special Forces Groups and also played a key role in the Special Forces Close Quarter Battle/Urban Operations courses and the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course, now known as Special Forces Sniper Course.

The ODS also features angle facets on the rear sight to allow the shooter greater target visibility while maintaining sight alignment.

Both front and rear sights are designed with a slight reverse slope to help them bite into belts, steering wheels or any edge for racking the slide.

Besides the new sights, R4E is planning other products, but they are being tight-lipped for now. They maintain that their focus will be to fill capability gaps with original products, priced so they are attainable by the average soldier, police officer or civilian.

"We don't want to build an AR15 because everybody builds an AR15; we are not trying to reinvent a grid pattern reticle," said R4E cofounder and retired Special Forces Sgt. 1st Class Chance Giannelli. "We want unique, one-of-a-kind, experienced-based, proven products." Giannelli also served in 3rd Group and was a former NCOIC at SOTIC.

For now, the ODS is being offered mainly for Glock pistols but will soon be available for all popular makes and models.

"We started with Glock because that is what the operators are carrying ... and most police officers carry a Glock 17 or a Glock 19," the designer said.

Each set of ODS costs about $120 and comes with a front sight tool and an allen wrench for the rear sight set screw.

"A lot of sights don't come with a tool, and you have to take them to a gunsmith; we wanted it to be one-stop shopping. You buy it; you do it yourself," he said.

The website will soon feature an installation video, so watch for it. R4E also plans to offer another version of the ODS with a tritium front sight in the near future.
A picture says how many words?.. didn't count or read.

Might be a gimmick, but when it hits the market, wanna bet that 3/4 of the gunners on here will get a set? Well that might be lofty but everything we buy is a gimmick in theory. Bad part it, it makes a little sense with the right up, I guess you don't have to shoot crocked

Either way I do not want to drop 120 but I do want to shoot a 23 with these on it. See what the difference is between that and factory sights if any. I do not know if its a gimmick or not but it makes sense to me in many ways.

Here's the old Guttersnipe sight..

Guttersnipe3.jpg

I am going to make a similar set that is less busy and have my Cousin who was a west point grad and Army Ranger do the talking about how he designed it for better shooting. I bet I could make a few bucks. Looking up close I take back my comment about wanting to try it. I glanced at it the first time but there is way too much going on there. I will stick with my 3 dot tritium that has worked just fine for a long time for me and sell all the Call of Duty fans my "cousins sights".
He looks like a perfect guy to put in the adds at 6'2" and 200lbs of muscle wearing his Ranger gear. I bet I could make a few dollars simply with his merits as this guy is doing...and I bet his gun does not have these on there.

I think they might work pretty good for bullseye shooting. Slow fire

This was my thought exactly. I would have to try it, but in my experience I like ghost rings on the rear and a big dot on the front for speed. This is what I have on my G21 for pin shooting.

The lines on this "gimmick" sight would seem to me to be nice for more precise shooting, something I would like on a revolver, but not particularly helpful to me on a self-defense pistol IMO.

Maybe it would work for speed - I would have to try though, same model of gun, with the sights and with different sights. And it would take some time to get used to it, and some measuring of how fast it was, and so on.

My friend out in Sandy, OR has a worn out vintage Colt "pencil barrel" Woodsman that doesn't have any rear sights, and he can make a pop can dance all down the road with it.
He says that after shooting hundreds of bricks through it, he just knows where it will hit.
He's a great shot and even with his aging vision, he can shoot circles around me because he shoots most every day on his farm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top