JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe a shotgun pistol like the Taurus Judge? A load of birdshot or buckshot of .410 would do the trick.

Interesting you'd say that, cuz my thoughts always go back to a .410. I have no idea what a .410 revolver does with a pattern, but in my experience with shotguns, although the payload of a .410 is far less than any other gauge, I've found the .410 pattern to hold together far farther than a 12 ga. If it held together out of the Taurus or S&W revolver, it would be extremely effective.

WAYNO.

Take one of the old Colt .45, half moon clip ACP Revolvers and load it with 30-06 brass, cut 1/8" less than the chamber.
Load the cases with .410 wads and #6 shot. Place a .410 nitro card over the BBs, along with an aluminium washer and roll crimp the cases in a .44 sizing die. :D

A "Tarus Judge" snake killer for a whole lot less.:eek::eek::eek: :p

Yeah, I was in love with those types of .45 LC / .410 conversion for the longest time. It was my go to "wearwolf" gun. Saw some discouraging videos, namely Hickock45, which showed an extensive spread at even a few yards. I guess it wouldn't matter hip to ground, but I had the idea reasonable spread of at least 25 yards. Reasonable to me is about two feet diameter, but I may have unrealistic expectations. Shotguns are a "useless" firearm in my upbringing, so I'm inexperienced to say the least.
Don't get me wrong, I still want a shotgun as one of my next three purchases. Close competition between Ruger 10/22, a carry pistol and a trap shooter. The 10/22 is in the lead this week.

50659-catalog.jpg
opsol-mini-clip-adapter-mossberg-f.jpg
DSC_0799_WEB.jpg

I used to shoot the Olin flares out of my Winchester 1200 (Marine), figured if I ever got in
trouble on the water, I was going to light up the sky. Then the commercial flares started being made about
1/8" shorter and they would jam the action. Lots of fun firing a magazine loaded with alternating
Bird Bombs and Whistlers. :eek:....The good old days.:rolleyes:

Interesting you'd say that, cuz my thoughts always go back to a .410. I have no idea what a .410 revolver does with a pattern, but in my experience with shotguns, although the payload of a .410 is far less than any other gauge, I've found the .410 pattern to hold together far farther than a 12 ga. If it held together out of the Taurus or S&W revolver, it would be extremely effective.

WAYNO.
From a few reviews online it gets some pretty good patterning. Getting groups similar to a shotgun to about 8 yards. Others it is crap. The S&W Governor is decent. Really depends on the barrel length you choose though.

Once killed a rattler with a swiss army knife. Though, its really hard to get out of the situation when you are walking on a trail and your older brother steps on its head by mistake. Obviously he couldn't move off of its head. Scared the everloving crap out of me. And I remember the body and scales thrashing at his leg and my arm. A swiss army was not a quick, clean slice either. The only consolation I had was that I knew if he moved, he could be bit just as easily as me.

I have been rather terrified of them ever since truth be told.

Seems like a good enough reason to kill a rattler to me. I'd probably be more afraid of them if I went through that.
Walk HEAVY and carry a big stick.
Best rattle snake advice I can figure.

I doubt there is a barrel length they make that would make The Judge anything more than a defense weapon. I kinda wanted a survival tool. Might work, better than nothing. I'll probably get one anyway. LoL

I was more aware of the gun TBH, the feeder and shells are news to me tho. He's always trying to squeeze one more into his maverick 88.

Growing up in San Bernadino County we would go for car rides in the country. Ran over a number of Western Diamondbacks. Big suckers. When I moved to Eastern Oregon I would see them on the trail fishing the lower Imnaha or at campgrounds on the Snake River. Itty bitty things. Still scare me tho and the wife is petrified. I carry a Judge and she carries .38 snakeshot. 22 birdshot is worthless on snakes, 22 snakeshot hardly much better. Anyway, I saw her jump about 10 feet on the Deschutes one year. Looked down and my next step would have landed right on it. Speaking of which, they look like viking boats crossing the river there. Bunches of them!

Good advice. I'm still surprised by people telling me that they don't swim. Just goes to show you how "facts" and experience differs.

I don't think I've ever seen one swimming by choice.
I've tossed them in the river and they do swim pretty well.

Good way to clear out a drift....
"Gotta snake comin' down !"
"It's a big one !"

:)

River Guide Trivia:
Buzz Ramsey, former Luhr Jensen rep was known to have thrown a boxes of Hot Shots overboard to clear out a drift.
At $3-$5 a piece it's hard to let them go by.

I've always carried a .22 revolver with snake shot when I thought I might need to. Like in the Klamath River canyon in late spring or the fall.
I've always seen them in/on rocks more than the dirt, so trying to use solid ammo is asking for a ricochet.
And generally speaking, if they're too far away for a .22 with a shot load, they're far enough away to walk away from. But then again, people always told me I didn't have enough respect for them.
But that allowed me to remain rational when I did encounter one.

I did come across a den once, and that was interesting, and a good reason to leave the area. :D

I don't think I've ever seen one swimming by choice.
I've tossed them in the river and they do swim pretty well.

Good way to clear out a drift....
"Gotta snake comin' down !"
"It's a big one !"

River Guide Trivia:
Buzz Ramsey, former Luhr Jensen rep was known to have thrown a boxes of Hot Shots overboard to clear out a drift.
At $3-$5 a piece it's hard to let them go by.

I might have to apply that tactic to the Deschutes next time I go down. LoL

Good advice. I'm still surprised by people telling me that they don't swim. Just goes to show you how "facts" and experience differs.

Facts are facts. Everything else is either bullsh*t or opinion. People state facts all the time that they believe to be facts but they are incorrect. Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top