JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Usually I'm unconcerned with happening upon a rattlesnake, and feel no need to shoot it. However I am curious, would shooting birdshot through my 9mm harm the rifling?
Should I just carry something cheaper and not worry about it?

Added, how often has anyone had to defend themselves against a snake? Which pistol and caliber would you prefer for general protection in the high desert?
Can I keep any part of a rattle snake I happen to need to defend myself against?

You mean like a shotshell?

Shouldn't hurt anything problem maybe autoloading it. The plastic tip might break if your loading it from a mag

I would probably prefer a wheel gun and load a couple shotshells

I like to monkey with 'em.

IMGP3540.JPG

It'll work fine. They are designed not to mar your rifling. It probably won't cycle in a semi-automatic, though, so you'll have to rack it if you need a second shot. That's one reason I prefer revolvers for snakeshot. Or tiny shotguns. Or you can poke 'em with a stick like @DirectDrive does. ;)

Yeah, i usually use at least an 8'6" stick to poke snakes...
I have a guy that wants me to bring one home for him. He has a degree In herpetology, so I'm not totally opposed to it.. I just don't want to remove them if they're protected or whatever. Isn't that ironic?

Good point on cycling, I kind of figured after I posted. Just had that issue with the A5, which only cycles 1 1/8 and up. Guess I'll just bring that when I go out.

I've never come across any bigger than 3'. The old adage has always applied: The first person to pass the snake wakes it up, the 2nd one pisses it off, and the 3rd one gets bit. Had to give one a wide berth, as it was good and pizz'd off.

They force you to be aware when in snake country.
As humans we have the "Fear of the Serpent" instinct which is hard to overcome.

One time I caught a large bull snake (non-poisonous) and had a good hold behind his head.
I walked down to camp to get the photo op, but unfortunately my partner was waded out fishing.
In the meantime this snake had coiled itself up my arm and was trying to turn its head to bite me.
I then got that cold sweat thing as I searched all over for my forked stick that I used for the capture.
After long seconds (seemed like minutes) I found my forked stick.

It was in my left hand !

Once I had the brain working again, i was able to get the snake off my arm.
Fear of the Serpent is a powerful emotion.

Pro Tip:
Watch out for the little ones.
They don't seem to have a fear of humans like the big ones.
I had one last year that was a "stand your ground" type little snake.
Legend has it that they will inject more venom than a large snake.

As a fisherman, you don't put your hand up on the bank as you haul out.
This is when you get can get whacked....happened to a guide a few years ago and he received a bad bite.

Make noise, look and listen....they have varying rattle sounds depending on the size of the rattle and the speed of the shake.
I had one for instance, that sounded exactly like a propane tank releasing pressure.
It was a large snake shaking really fast.

Last Edited:
The cci shot loads, aka snake loads cycle fine in my ruger P90 45 acp. I also reload my own for the wifes 38 wheel gun and my Blackhawk 45 colt with cci empty shot capsules.

I've never come across any bigger than 3'. The old adage has always applied: The first person to pass the snake wakes it up, the 2nd one pisses it off, and the 3rd one gets bit. Had to give one a wide berth, as it was good and pizz'd off.
I believe it. A year or so ago I was walking down the John day with my father. He was in front of me and for some reason this rattlesnake decided to start rattling right behind me after we had passed it. I'm talking striking distance from my bare ankle. I swear I jumped 10 feet. It was a little-ish snake, probably no more than 3 years old. Cranky little guy.

DirectDrive: that's a great awareness post. I've yet to run into many bull snakes, or too many rattlesnakes for that matter. Water snakes are a bit disturbing because it can be hard to tell if they're immature rattlers or not. I feel like the non-venomous types are a lot more aggressive, so I'd be uncomfortable too. I'll be sure to keep my hand off the bank more. When in doubt, I disturb the brush, figure that will spook them to at least rattle. Seems you hear the most driving on dirt roads, but it's hard to tell them from some crickets in a car. Being aware and careful is always a good call.

I'll have to buy some snake loads just for fun, even if I'm not shooting snakes. See if my p226 can cycle them. Might have to accidentally leave a can of pop down range for that.

Thanks for the posts

I think the larger size shotshells >9mm have a heftier shell and not the plastic the 9mm and lower do. So they cycle with reliability.
I wouldn't want the mess of having one break in a 9mm.

My parents own property on the crooked river ranch and as kids we would hunt for scorpions and snakes. Found rattle snakes a few times and shot them with pellet guns. Only took a couple dozens rounds!

Dang miracle nothing happen to us.
I would never let me children do that.

I'm just a daring individual who prefers free wading... I'm more worried about dehydration and heat exhaustion, to be honest.
I just think snake shot is cool... but maybe I'll need to get that revolver. I need one anyway. For what, I guess snake shot!

I'm just saying the 12gauge A5 Browning would be handy with an untamely snake. LoL

Funny, I failed Mensa by a few points... if only I studied harder I wouldn't be so foolish as to trust a snake!

I'm just a daring individual who prefers free wading... I'm more worried about dehydration and heat exhaustion, to be honest.
I just think snake shot is cool... but maybe I'll need to get that revolver. I need one anyway. For what, I guess snake shot!

I'm just saying the 12gauge A5 Browning would be handy with an untamely snake. LoL

Funny, I failed Mensa by a few points... if only I studied harder I wouldn't be so foolish as to trust a snake!

:s0090:

We had a nice specimen that we were talking pictures of when some of the "free waders" were be-bopping by.
Shorts and river sandals.
We waved them over so they could take a look.
They marveled at the beast.

Then I said...
"This one was a 'swimmer', swam right in on us."

They moved out pretty quickly after that.
I love messin' the n00bs

:D

I used to catch snakes for a Texas snake pit, the Best pay was always the larger Rattlers Over 6ft, I caught a few over 6ft and was always handsomely rewarded in the Hundreds of $$ one Old snake was just short of 8ft and looked like a fence post laying in the road, broke my snake pole on that one trying to lift it into the sack.

Where I live now, there is a small canyon Full of them, if any of you want a hatband..

Nothing but Garter Snakes around me. This 3 footer was in the driveway the other day. Tried to swallow a young bird the wrong way. I picked him up and cut the wings and head off so he could get it down. No gratitude.. :rolleyes:
Snake.jpg

After I got out of beautiful Southeast Asia I was sent to Camp Roberts California to work at a satellite station there, 90' antenna and everything encrypted. Anyway, the station was on the highest hill in the region. We took a deuce and a half up each morning. And unless it was cold and raining like hell (seldom happened there) rattlesnakes were all over the place. They struck at the tires as we drove by and you could hear the "thunks" as they hit. Scared the hell outta me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top