JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really want to get a 1911 but I am having a hard time choosing what Brand I should get for a first 1911. I am looking to spend around $600-650. I would love to get a Ruger SR1911 but those are hard to find. Can you guys suggest some in that price range.

Thanks, Stephen.

Springfield makes a fine 1911 in stainless at that price point. You might have trouble finding one of those as well. I own a loaded model and it is my favorite pistol. Very reliable and shoots better than i can. Plus springfield, like ruger, fully backs their products and have great customer service.

There are some fantastic values in 1911 guns these days, My $.02, for the best return on your investment, get one from the original manufacturer of 1911's. Get a Colt. New or used. Even if you have to save for a little longer.

I just bought my first 1911. Eventually I will buy a colt and a springfield and probably some others. For my first one I bought a taurus PT 1911b. They're lifetime guaranteed and basically a custom gun. They come with 19 standard features that most manufacturers consider custom or after market. The springfield I looked at was a "loaded" model and was comparable but it was 900 bucks. I went with the Taurus for $600 and had almost enough to buy my 1911-22. For an extra 55 bucks on top of the springfield price I came home with 2 1911's. One in 45acp and one in 22lr... I love them both. I carry the 45 everyday and have put 350 rounds through it with out any problems. I get 3 inch groups standing off hand at 30 feet and double taps 4-5 inches apart. Im no pistol expert by any means. I know the gun will out shoot me by a long shot. I should try off a rest next time Im at the range I guess...lol

The guy that is running Taurus now I believe worked at colt for years and years and knows the 1911 inside and out. He's not making each one of course but I believe his outline is what Taurus based their features and such on.

People will knock Taurus for this and that but everyone knows ALL manufacturers can have problems now and then. Ive owned 5 Taurus products and had one bad one. Ive owned 4 S&W's and 2 of them went back for warranty repairs. One was brand new with a bad chamber and is in the shop right now. The other made it through 350-400 rounds. Just saying...

Good luck and Im sure you will be happy with any 1911. Im definitely hooked on them! Gonna get one tattooed somewhere I think.lol

Not an expert like some we have on here,but I have had some cheap ones and some ,lets call them "better" 1911s. Never shot any Ed Buaer or Les Browns. jk

I like to save a little longer to buy nicer guns.Every time I have bought an OK gun,I have sold it shortly after and bought a better brand.
Lately it was a Citadel that I traded in on a KImber.
Say what you will about Kimbers,but I have never had one that shot bad.Every one has been very accurate for me and fed perfect.

But I kinda rate these like I do ARs.How much will you shoot it?
Going to compete? Just shoot at the range and maybe carry?
If you are going to compete,spend some money and get one of the really cool brands such as Ed Brown ,Les Baer,wilson,etc.
I have met plenty guys who compete with their $1000 Springfields and Kimbers.Some use lesser of both brands.
My Sig is a dream to shoot and plenty accurate out to 65 yards,so far.

If you want a really nice 1911 that isn't more than your car,go with the top Springfields,Sigs or Kimbers. You can be happy for about $1000-1200

Have fun picking!

Not an expert like some we have on here,but I have had some cheap ones and some ,lets call them "better" 1911s. Never shot any Ed Buaer or Les Browns. jk

I like to save a little longer to buy nicer guns.Every time I have bought an OK gun,I have sold it shortly after and bought a better brand.
Lately it was a Citadel that I traded in on a KImber.
Say what you will about Kimbers,but I have never had one that shot bad.Every one has been very accurate for me and fed perfect.

But I kinda rate these like I do ARs.How much will you shoot it?
Going to compete? Just shoot at the range and maybe carry?
If you are going to compete,spend some money and get one of the really cool brands such as Ed Brown ,Les Baer,wilson,etc.
I have met plenty guys who compete with their $1000 Springfields and Kimbers.Some use lesser of both brands.
My Sig is a dream to shoot and plenty accurate out to 65 yards,so far.

If you want a really nice 1911 that isn't more than your car,go with the top Springfields,Sigs or Kimbers. You can be happy for about $1000-1200

Have fun picking!

I want a 1911 just to have one, and have it to target shoot with and carry. I also forgot about the Remington R1 1911 it looks nice and has a good price tag! Also it is made in the USA! Is the 80 series that big of a deal breaker over the 70 series?

I would say to keep your eye out and gun shows and shops for nice used ones! a 1911 if built well only gets better with round counts and just look for tight lock ups, a tight trigger fitment (wiggle up/down left/right) and skeleton hammer/triggers, I dont dig the short trigger GI gear onmodern ones. I got a really clean kimber TLE with the night sights and 30lpi front strap for 850 otd at a local shop, thats about 2/3rds msrp... its my EDC, now for the price it was good, but kimber isnt what they used to be

I really want to get a 1911 but I am having a hard time choosing what Brand I should get for a first 1911. I am looking to spend around $600-650. I would love to get a Ruger SR1911 but those are hard to find. Can you guys suggest some in that price range.

Thanks, Stephen.
look in the classifieds 5 times a day every day for 2 months and you'll find a killer deal on a 1911. I like colts but ruger,springfield and the other 100 companies that put out 1911's are all similar all you pay for is a name, a nicer fit/finish and reliability on some of the budget 1911's.

Originally Posted by stephenz View Post
Is the 80 series that big of a deal breaker over the 70 series?
No. A competent 1911 shooter can shoot well with any series you put in his hand.

With all do respect to the 1911 purists,it's purist BS.
There is a hammer? block/safety that is really unnecessary that the purist don't like on their guns,that the 80s have.
That's all,cause like 2gr8dgs said they both shoot perfectly fine in the right hands.
The Ruger is a nice looking 1911,but I'm not sure it's worth waiting for.Just another 1911.Good price for it though (if you can find one)

Same boat here but I have had one in the past and got rid of it.
I asked my local gunsmith becasue they see more of those broken than any other pistol and he told me either Springfield or S&W as long as they are not the made in Brazil models.

It is for me...don't care to have the extra garb on the gun.

But if you're going to get a model with the firing pin safety, go with the Colt style.
It's more robust, and amazingly enough...less prone to timing issues.

To me it is! The only problem I've ever had that stopped a 1911 from running was a timing problem with a "Series 80 style" of FPS. I've owned several 1911s from Colt, Dan Wesson, Para and Ruger so while not as experienced as Wichaka, I've got some hands on time. I can shoot the gun as well, even if the trigger is mushy, but just the thought that it's possible that "thing" will keep my defense gun from working is enough that I will not have that in a carry gun. And I am one that carries a 1911 on a daily basis.

In the price range you mention, I am particularly impressed with the Ruger I bought. I put 3-400 rounds thru it before I gave it to my wife. Since then the people who have been shooting it (my wife and her friends) have been having a blast. No malfunctions at all. In fact, before then when it was mine, it got better "reviews" from friends and family than my prized Colt and Dan Wesson did! For some reason when anyone would shoot the Ruger, the response was always the same. "I like that gun".

I'd stay away from Kimber, all three of mine had problems. I'd look at Springfield for the best value, I had a Range Officer and it was great. Remember, advice is worth what you paid for.

If your Ruger got better praise then your DW, well something's wrong!

I know! And they had also shot my 1951 Colt! Personally I think they knew that the Colt and Dan Wesson were supposed to be good, cuz they knew those guns aren't cheap, but the Ruger is a very nice gun for about half the cost of the other two. Accurate, decent trigger, good sights and it's yet to fail to feed or extract a round.

Hmmmm, what model DW out of curiosity?? '51 Colts are nice for what they are, not super tight newage guns but beautifully crafted guns with history.

CBOB. The Colt has been worked over some, has about a 3 lb trigger and very good sights. It had been slightly modified before I got it. I then traded it off and that guy had Wichaka install new springs, sear, trigger, hammer and beavertail. When it came up for sale I bought it back.I liked the looks of it better with the original grip safety and hammer. I have those parts but it's not so bad as it is. Very accurate and a joy to shoot. Plus it's got that old Colt bluing that looks so fine.

guns140-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads