JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings, all!

I am looking for someone to mount a scope for me on a bolt action rifle. I have the scope, I have the rings, and the mount is already on the gun.

You: ideally would live in North, inner NE, or inner SE Portland; have plenty of experience doing this; have all the tools you needed; be fine with doing this at your house; let me watch over your shoulder and ask questions.

I: will come to you; be very accommodating and flexible about finding a time that works for you; offer in exchange either a 12-pack of your choice or a home-baked pie of your choice.

I think that a PM is probably the best way to get in touch about this.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

You really need to do this yourself. It's very easy and you will know how to sight your scope in afterwards.

Put the mounts on the gun but not tight,put the scope in the mounts,again not tight,then tighten all the screws a little at a time.
As you mount the scope it will center on the gun and the mounts.

Then take the bolt out.
Mount the gun on something solid. Look through the barrel to sight the gun on something about 100 yards away.
Then bring the scope to the object you are sighting through the barrel.
This will get you on paper. Then you adjust the scope accordingly.

You Tube is your friend.There should be tons of vids on this.YOU need to know how to do this to save time and money.
It's just too simple to let someone else to do.

I agree, I am no gunsmith by any means, mounting and sighting in a scope is one of the few things I am comfortable doing.

Taking out the bolt is a great idea, I have always asked to get the scope bore sighted when I purchase it if possible.

I went to a hunter sight in event at Douglas Ridge Rifle club with a scope I purchased on Ebay last hunting season, the staff were great, had a spotter to give you adjustment advice, very classy affair.

You really need to do this yourself. It's very easy and you will know how to sight your scope in afterwards.

I agree with this 100%. You need to learn this basic of rifle ownership, and nowadays sighting a scope is easier than ever. Simply purchase the appropriate caliber laser bore sight, mount the scope, snap that laser in the breach, and tune accordingly.

I've found that if you have about 100' of space you can bore sight with really good accuracy. You'll still need to fine-tune at a range, but this is a simple and easy way to get the grunt work done.

Ok! I took my last scope purchase to the hunter sight-in day at Douglas Ridge for assistance. The guy there had little bubble levels and a good clamp and etc. He mounted it and the first shot at 25 yards was right dead center. I'll give it a try myself, thanks for the encouragement!

Josh

I agree you should do it yourself, but there are a few tricks you should know about. When you mount you need to keep the reticule perpendicular/parallel to the bore of the scope. If I know I can get the gun level left to right, I will line the windage part of the reticule on something perfectly perpendicular like a plumb bob string, corner of a house or something else I know is perfectly in line. If you can't get the gun level, you can eyeball it by aligning the windage part of the reticule with the bore of the rifle. This takes some skill and you might have to do it a few times.

Cheap Weaver rings are a pain in the butt. The ones that hook on one side and have two screws on the other side are a terrible design. You actually have to have the reticule canted to one side because when you tighten the screws the scope is going to twist. Warne rings can be a challenge because of the design. They tighten from the side instead of from the top, and it helps if you have a second set of hands to help. After a few times doing it you can do it by yourself, but it is still a challenge.

My final advice is don't over-tighten. You can actually pinch the scope tube and damage the internals of the scope if you get them too tight. Warne rings have a lot of leverage and can really cause some damage. Torque specs are in inch pounds, not foot pounds, so you don't tighten them all that much. All the rings I use have a uniform small gap between the top/bottom or two sides when installed properly. If the gap is not even all the way across you have tightened them too much.

Some people take rings and bases installation to an even higher level. Some people will actually bed the bases and lap the rings. I've done neither and with the high quality of rings I buy have not had any regrets. Ideally you would do this, but it takes more skill and special tools.

Bore sighting is very easy with a bolt rifle. I set up something brightly colored at about 25 yards. Line the bore of the rifle up on the item, then adjust windage and elevation until both the bore and the reticule are line up on the item. At 50 yards you should be within 4 inches of your aiming point.

Mounting it yourself will also allow you to adjust the position (forward & backward) to get the proper eye relief for you. Mount the rifle to your shoulder in your most used position (prone, kneeling, or standing) move the scope forward and back to eliminate any shadow around the edges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top