JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK time has come I need a new hunting coat.

I hunt Blacktail Western Oregon so not real cold but possibly pretty wet.
I hunt in mixed country Grass fields, Oak Groves, Fir Timber, Christmas tree farms, So what camo pattern is really never going to be a match.

I'm not a small or skinny guy I got a 54" chest. I would rather be able to layer then use the coat as sole warmth. I tend to operate much better when on the cool side then when over heated.

I been looking at a good old M65 Army Field Jacket in OD green. But they aren't really even water resistant (not in Oregon anyway) So something cut similar.

More pockets a plus

And now the big problem the Budget Hoping to keep this under $100.00 Since the wife is going to get it for my birthday.

If you prefer to layer (as I do) then do so. Then what you need is more along the lines of rain gear for the soggy days.
Finding some that is quiet is tricky, but just keeping the rain off can be done for under $100.00 easily. A hat with a generous brim helps too.

Well the wife has OKed a trip down to Springfield to look at Cabelas (should give me an idea of sizing and prices) I will also hit the various choices in Salem. DICKS BIG 5 WHOLESALE SPORTS etc. and see what they have. I looked at some Carhart stuff yesterday and while it would be great for around the ranch. It's just to stiff for hunting.

And I think a couple of you are right I'm most likely looking for a lined rain coat type garmet. Maybe a rain coat/parka/poncho over a M65 would be a good choice

Stay away from "Rivers WET" (rivers west). I had three given to me as gifts. Every one leaks bad. they are all rated "waterproof" from them, one doesnt repel water anywhere at all, and the other two don't repel any water from the shoulders down. They also saturate and gain weight all day.

I have been super happy with my browning drylite as a completely rainproof slicker. Don't suggest it for a blackberry brush jacket as it is light, but great for the normal woods.

I also have a gamehide jacket, and it keeps you dry for a few hours, but eventually saturates and soaks ya..

Hey thanks for the heads up on RW stuff,as I'm always looking at it.But I have had good experiences with game hide.Not perfect be not bad either.
I would try something wool,myself.As a "rotund" guy,I tend to come out of the wood wet no matter what.5 miles on a hill brings the toxins out the pores.I like a nice wool or fleece to keep warm and they tend to keep you warm when they are wet.
Rain gear seems to make me sweat more,not really helping with the wet part.
Wool is more durable than fleece on the most part.

Only time I like rain gear is for fishing,as long as I'm standing in cold water,or duck hunting which is mostly sitting.

Seams Cabelas has their Herters rain coat on sale this month. So I guess the wife and I will take a short road trip and check them out.

If you plan to layer then look for something in wool. It's warm even when damp, quiet in the brush, and you can just put a poncho over it when it rains.

That said, back in about 1975 I found a down coat with sail canvas outer shell for about $400 (big money then). It was cheap at that price because it lasted me until I "outgrew" it about 5 years ago (30 years), and I handed it down to my teenage son, who's now wearing it as a hunting coat.

You might try Sierra Trading Post too. They have a lot of close out stuff. Check their website first but call them anyway. When they have very limited stock on items, they wont advertise the items but the phone operators know about them. I've always got top notch service from them.

I'v never been wet from my rivers west from rain, just sweat but i definetly agree that they gain weight due to saturation. Over time especially in the duck blind. A few friends have the game hide, Are they any good? I could always use another coat lol.

I've been using the Sitka line for awhile now, great hunting gear, highly recommend it. But for a $100 jacket, the Cabela's Dry-Plus Space Rain Ultra Pack Rain Pullover Jacket is perfect. Awesome shell, waterproof, windproof, breathes, good fit, easily layer underneath with one extra size. And all Cabelas brand clothing is 100% lifetime guaranteed.

Carhart Breathable Waterproof

I've used this coat for the last 3 years. It's been great, extremely durable and waterproof. The material is not "silent" but its not unusually loud like other waterproof coats, you can still slowly stalk an animal if needed. I bought it in Evergreen and there is a version that is longer from the bottom which I liked best since it covers my waist.

Last year it did start to soak through a bit through the back, it did not go through, it was just getting a little heavy. I took it home and washed/dried it and applied a couple coats of $4 fabric restore/sealer I bought at Bochsler hardward; good as new. I've had to do this before to other expensive fabrics (goretex), those berry bushes thorns start to wear down and punch small holes through any material so not an issue for me.

Hope you find what you are looking for and Happy Birthday!:drink:

I been trying on Coats all over Salem (tried on a couple different Carharts) And it looks like I'm going to be happiest with the Remington 4 in 1 coat that Bi Mart Sells for $89.00. I really like the way it hangs on me (I have a 54" chest so I need a big coat) The zip off sleeves on both the outer and the liner are so well done the first time I tried it on I didn't even realize the sleeves came off. Granted no way to tell how well it will repel rain and hold up to brush. It is very quiet and having read some 100+ reviews on it I am confident its a quality coat that will hold up to it's claims.

Wife likes that its at Bi Mart makes it simple for her to get it for my birthday end of this coming month. She's planning on getting it soon to hopefully beat the hunting crowd right before season opens.

Now to find a pair of similar fabric Bibs to go with it. Going to be a little harder since I don't want any insulation I want some that will work over Blue jeans if possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top