JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Supposedly powder prices were expected to go up about 20% particularly for extruded powders due to importation and component costs. That came from a federal ammunition/vista outdoors rep. No need to go crazy. Just the unusual state of things these days. Pick stuff up that you use when you can.

Cabelas and Midway both get $50 for a pound of 3031. So Sportsmans Warehouse isn't the worst. In fact, about average for the moment.
I don't shoot all that much .30-30. but if I use up that 3031 I'll see if I can find a proper burn rate ball powder. I think I have about 6lbs of it. That'll take me awhile. Besides, if I were using ball powder I wouldn't have to weigh every round.

I don't shoot all that much .30-30. but if I use up that 3031 I'll see if I can find a proper burn rate ball powder. I think I have about 6lbs of it. That'll take me awhile. Besides, if I were using ball powder I wouldn't have to weigh every round.
I like the leverevolution. It's a fine grained ball powder that meters great, so it's consistent. Advertised velocity is higher than just about anything else, with standard pressures. (Can't chronograph it, because chrono got shot☠️) You don't need a magnum primer either, same goes with the 444 with leverevolution.

Last Edited:
Hodgdon LEVERevolution is all I use for my son's 30-30. Decently accurate and gains 200-300 fps over 3031 velocity.

I like the leverevolution. It's a fine grained ball powder that meters great, so it's consistent. Advertised velocity is higher than just about anything else, with standard pressures. (Can't chronograph it, because chrono got shot☠️) You don't need a magnum primer either, same goes with the 444 with leverevolution.
I guess it's true? "There are those that have shot their chronograph and those that will".
Hodgdon LEVERevolution is all I use for my son's 30-30. Decently accurate and gains 200-300 fps over 3031 velocity.
We'll see. I'm not in to getting max velocity out of anything I shoot. Just accuracy, cleanliness and hearing the gong ping. And the satisfaction of shooting a 72+ year old Winchester 94.

I guess it's true? "There are those that have shot their chronograph and those that will".
I'm no longer one of the latter, rather one of the former times two. But I was lucky, I didn't hit the instrument, I dinged the metal rods that hold up the screens. Which turns out were metric (made in Canada, eh?) so I had to special order the nearest fractional equivalent from Tacoma Screw to replace them.

Today, I was in the neighborhood of Cabela's / Tulalip. They had several iterations of small primers. And, low and behold, the first large primers of any type that I've seen on shelves for two years. They had three sleeves of CCI LP magnum, No. 350. $10 per sleeve of 100.

So within the past month or so, primers in this area seem to be coming back. The exact reason isn't known to me. It could mean the pressure is easing off from the ammunition manufacturers. Or it could mean that demand saturation from reloaders is easing. Especially in view of the higher prices.

Well here is some lovely sitings I was made aware of for our Washington folk.
There is a shop in Wenatchee that has a large selection of Primers small and large and caps available.

Last Edited:
Small and large rifle primers in stock at Cascade in Hood River. $8 and $9 per sleeve. I bought 2 sleeves and later regretted paying so much.
$9 for large rifle doesn't sound too bad. I paid $138 for a brick of CCI-200's a while back, including shipping, hazmat and Washington state theft of 8.7%. Would love to find sales tax free large rifle primers for $9 per hundred.

Small and large rifle primers in stock at Cascade in Hood River. $8 and $9 per sleeve. I bought 2 sleeves and later regretted paying so much.
Yeah, but if you don't have any? Here, at Fisherman's Marine, a year +/- ago they were selling a single sleeve for $10.99

bad thing about living over on the coast it's miles and miles to anyone who has primers so ....

this week I ordered spp from powder valley then WOW found some LARGE PISTOL online, bit a huge bullet and ordered them too.All they had were magnum lp so oh boy payed thru the nose because of that .
Anyone who gripes about what they are paying local places, hush you mouf, you getting off easy,son . I

Cabelas had primers today as well, small pistol and rifle.
Was at Sportsman's SE 82nd yesterday and all they had left was the Fiocci, (150), and Remington I think it was, small pistol primers.
I have to wonder? Will ammo prices come down, or will they just leave those 1,000s of rounds on their shelves collecting dust? The amount of crazy priced ammo on the shelves is amazing. A couple years ago there WERE no shelves for ammo. they put other product on them.

Was at Sportsman's SE 82nd yesterday and all they had left was the Fiocci, (150), and Remington I think it was, small pistol primers.
I have to wonder? Will ammo prices come down, or will they just leave those 1,000s of rounds on their shelves collecting dust? The amount of crazy priced ammo on the shelves is amazing. A couple years ago there WERE no shelves for ammo. they put other product on them.
I'd guess that ammunition prices won't come down any time soon.
There's still shortages of most calibers, even some of the common ones.
And after the 2 years of empty shelves, I bet the retailers purchased the newly available 9mm, and 223/556 ammunition at a premium thinking they'd fly off the shelves forever.

I work in a different field, purchasing/warehouse for a hospital chain.
During and after the whole covid panic, we're still having supply disruptions, have a glut on some items, and none of others.
Surely the ammunition industry is having the same issues.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top