JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last night watched a guy shoplift <$100 worth of items (Magic cards) from a Fred Meyers. Right in front of me. I followed him to his car, got plate and told store.

He was pro, had a plan,walked with purpose,car waiting and running. Obvious reseller on ebay or something.

What would you have done?

You saw, followed, got info, reported it to the store. I believe that you did all that you could.

If the store refuses to do anything beyond that, that it their business.

I once watched a bum steal a bottle of MD 40/40 fortified wine from a produce store on MLK Ave and I told a store clerk about it and also asked if he was going to do something about it. His reply really stuck with me.

"No way am I going to go deal with that guy, as I've seen them go crazy and cut anyone trying to stop them."

Last Edited:
I once watched a bum steal a bottle of MD 40/40 fortified wine from a produce store on MLK Ave and I told a store clerk about it and also asked if he was going to do something about it. His reply really stuck with me.

"No way am I going to go deal with that guy, as I've seen them go crazy and cut anyone trying to stop them."

Store clerks don't make enough money to even think to put themselves In harm's way & most of them look like they couldnt beat themselves out of a wet paper bag... So there ya have it...

To the OP, you did more than most self respecting American citizen would have done in the same situation.
I would not have escalated it any further, you done good son.;)

You should have got some cell phone video and let him know about it. If he didn't want it deleted then he would have to walk back in and confess to the manager. Then laugh and post it on youtube.

Ive tried reporting blatant shop lifters thinking it was the right thing to do, because it is.

Every single time they just give me an
eyes-glazed-over stare as if Im inconveniencing them by telling them actual theft is taking place. Managers, employees.. rarely has anyone acted on it. They just look at me like Im the jerk wasting everyones time..

At this point, Ill let society kill and rip itself off. Im tired of helping or caring.

Most clerks are told not to interfere with a shoplifter, and could even be disciplined or fired if they do. The risk is too high. If they are right there could be a confrontation, if they are wrong there could be a lawsuit. The cost of loss is calculated into the sale price and is an accepted cost of business.

The potential cost of an injured customer, employee or even the shoplifter is way higher than the loss of a little product. Employees on the floor don't care and don't want the responsibility of knowing. Honestly I would not confront the perp either. It is most likely a loose/loose situation if it escalates. If there is no risk of boldly harm to me or my family I would notify and forget and even that is only so I could not be considered complicit in the crime.

Ive tried reporting blatant shop lifters thinking it was the right thing to do, because it is.

Every single time they just give me an
eyes-glazed-over stare as if Im inconveniencing them by telling them actual theft is taking place. Managers, employees.. rarely has anyone acted on it. They just look at me like Im the jerk wasting everyones time..

At this point, Ill let society kill and rip itself off. Im tired of helping or caring.

^THIS!!!

Sadly stores just allow it to happen as the insurance risk of doing something is too great. No worries though, they've already priced it in and you, the guy/gal that pays for stuff is already paying for it.

You did what an honest person should. Get info, tell the staff:

I carry daily. If I see something I call the cops or tell staff. I don't seek nor start confrontation.
I avoid it like I avoid conversation with anti-gunners.

If a dangerous situation should prevent itself I'll protect me and mine, other's if I have to.

But no way I put myself into a position where I invite trouble.

I saw a couple of Safeway employees get into a KNOCK DOWN DRAG OUT FIGHT with a shoplifting guy In SPOKANE last year.
For about 20 bucks worth of stuff.
Lucky the one guy was a pretty big dude and obviously had some training wrestling and FIGHTING.
Because he got it under control pretty quick.
But I would have done the same thing you did .
It's not worth it to get into a fight with them.

AND REMEMBER IF YOU ARE CARRYING A GUN EVERY FIGHT YOU GET IN .
IS A GUN FIGHT.AND YOU BROUGHT THE GUN.

If you get in a wrestling match and he or she gets your gun and use it to hurt themselves or someone else .
It's your fault.

Last night watched a guy shoplift <$100 worth of items (Magic cards) from a Fred Meyers. Right in front of me. I followed him to his car, got plate and told store.

He was pro, had a plan,walked with purpose,car waiting and running. Obvious reseller on ebay or something.

What would you have done?

Same you did but be careful they don't know you are following them. As long as I could do it acting like I was just going on my way yes. You did what you should. We all pay for the stuff people steal like that with higher prices.

I saw a couple of Safeway employees get into a KNOCK DOWN DRAG OUT FIGHT with a shoplifting guy In SPOKANE last year.
Lucky the one guy was a pretty big dude and obviously had some training wrestling and FIGHTING.

If you get in a wrestling match and he or she gets your gun and use it to hurt themselves or someone else .
It's your fault

:s0101::s0101::s0101::s0101:

It's your fault.
Always a good way to think. I don't carry but you never know who is (legal or otherwise) and I don't think Magic cards are worth that risk. At the same time, it has been bothering me all day and I feel like I should have done more.

You should have got some cell phone video and let him know about it. If he didn't want it deleted then he would have to walk back in and confess to the manager. Then laugh and post it on youtube.
It's crazy, we all have phones and are on them all the time yet last night I didn't even think about filming. Lessons for the future.

Fred Meyers, they don't care, neither should I.

Big stores literally do not care. Protocol when I worked at Sportsmans was to let Lost Preventions know and walk away. Nothing ever happened, the store had it in the budget. A certain dollar amount that was allowed to be stolen.

If it was a small mom and pop shop, I'd totally get involved.

Fact is we live in an honest society and those that don't work within it can literally get away with about anything these days.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top