JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Vancouver.

There are several instructors that give them. I would, but I'm in Afghanistan right now and I don't have anyone else certified just yet (we will in another month or so.) See my signature block for info on my shop.

You can take a look at NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training and search for an NRA class. Any of the basic pistol courses will cover you for the Oregon CHL. Washington doesn't have a training requirement.

Or you can find an instructor teaching a non-NRA branded class. The Place To Shoot in Delta Park offers them regularly.

<broken link removed>

WA and Oregon are not reciprocal- largely because Oregon has a training requirement and Washington does not. If you plan to carry back and forth across the river, you'll need both. For the WA permit simply go downtown to the Sheriff's Department. They have the form, will take your fingerprints, and when your background check comes back clean, you'll get it issued in about a month.

$52.50 includes your fingerprint fee, bring cash.

WA State Licensing: How to get your license - Concealed Pistol License

For Oregon, as a border county resident in Washington, you can apply. You need to take a safety class, apply in person at County Sheriff with a signed letter of justificaiton why you want it (could be as simple as "for self defense" or "for sporting purposes travelling to and from in OR"). Both Multnomah and Washington County Sheriffs are reasonable about issuing them, but you must realize that OR is a "may issue" state for out of state residents. They don't have to give it to you and they won't refund your money. So a few minutes spent on making your letter of justification look good, spell-check, good grammar etc is a wise use of time. List your affiliation with the particular county you're applying for, i.e. "I work in (or travel in) Multnomah county regularly".

The cost is around $60 for the Oregon permit, and about $45 or so for the safety class. You'll get ingerprinted again, and get your permit in the mail in a few weeks. Formerly, there was a requirement to get a letter from WA Department of Mental Health stating you had never been involuntarily committed for mental health issues for a period greater than 2 weeks; this is no longer required.

Idaho honours our WA permit, just FYI. To get the most bang for the buck, take a Utah concealed permit class (usually about $100) and you get covered in about 38 states. You still need both WA and OR. Nevada is not reciprocal with any of these, so to cover all the possible states in the West, you would need a NV permit as well, and nothing is going to get you a CA permit as a non-resident.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top