JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
World famous trainer Kita Busse is coming to Washington in July.

moveclassflyer.jpg

The pic on that flyer seems to show a rather unorthodox carry position for a pistol while moving. I understand she's a well regarded competition shooter. I'm interested to know if anyone has a description/explanation for that position.

The pic on that flyer seems to show a rather unorthodox carry position for a pistol while moving. I understand she's a well regarded competition shooter. I'm interested to know if anyone has a description/explanation for that position.
I saw a photo similar to that one where the explanation was the match stage started "down range" and after engaging the first set of targets they turned to run "up range" and held the pistol like that to keep the muzzle pointed in the range mandated safe direction

I might have the Up and Down range confused, drinking a nice Tequila Old Fashioned tonight :D

Not saying one way or another for safety...unless ya got somone running with you to the rear, but have worked with many special units both Military and LE and can't recall that position ever coming up.

Not knowing it's origin, the least I would say is that it might be one of those temporary solutions to a specific problem to solve.

Only thing I can think of is there might be a retreat stage where it's faster to move away from the target by running forward with muzzle towards the backstop than trying to run backwards and falling on your keister... It is a WTF pic.
Addendum… what Vinniboombah said, agree!

I saw a photo similar to that one where the explanation was the match stage started "down range" and after engaging the first set of targets they turned to run "up range" and held the pistol like that to keep the muzzle pointed in the range mandated safe direction

I might have the Up and Down range confused, drinking a nice Tequila Old Fashioned tonight :D
I would think if one was running at full speed up range the protocol would be to reholster.

Not saying one way or another for safety...unless ya got somone running with you to the rear, but have worked with many special units both Military and LE and can't recall that position ever coming up.

Not knowing it's origin, the least I would say is that it might be one of those temporary solutions to a specific problem to solve.
When I was working had a gangsta' throw a round at us over his shoulder kinda like that in a foot chase. Weren't able to find where it impacted. Also know of another instance at my agency where a armed robbery perpetrator bailed from a stolen vehicle and touched one off underhand on his firing hand side and behind him. That shot fragmented on the sidewalk and he lived to say it was unintentional.

It is a common technique used in competition to move up range quickly while not violating the 180 degree rule in action pistol sports. It keeps the muzzle pointed at the berm.

It is a common technique used in competition to move up range quickly while not violating the 180 degree rule in action pistol sports. It keeps the muzzle pointed at the berm.
Why not move up range after reholstering? Because otherwise it seems to be simply a "speed" technique for moving and one I wouldn't trust to anyone but a experienced and uniquely skilled competitor.

Running directly up range and keeping the muzzle down range.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top