JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone,

I was looking for a used Lyman Great Plains Hunter, right hand, percussion cap rifle or a reasonable substitute.
I wanted a hooked barrel style so I can fit in a much larger bore like a .75 or 8 bore but I'd 'settle' for a .69.
What ever will fit comfortably in the channel. And the two wedges will help with the expected recoil to keep the piece tight.
I'll probably just take it to Joe & Suzi and see what I can fit in.

I like the Great Plains Hunter because I'm large (6'0", 225 & 6'4" fingertip to fingertip) and the length of pull &
weight are great for me. I know that Cabela's sells a Brown Bess smooth bore in .75 (flint I think) but I don't
want a military musket with barleycorn sights & barrel bands. If I can, I'll install express sights on the new rifle.

I looked at the G-Broker but the used ones are just as much as the new. Before I paid full price for my .54 I looked
at gun shows, etc. and found nothing. If anyone has one that hasn't seen use in a long time & needs a good home
or has a lead just let me know.

Blessings,

LongBeard

I have a couple and like the fact I can swap barrels on them. The one barrel that would be nice is a 'shotgun' muzzleloader. Saw one at a gun show years ago but regretfully passed on it.:( Converted a percussion to a 'flinter ' without a lot of effort. Good luck with your search.:cool:

We have a club shoot coming up and I'll ask around for ya , if you would like....
Andy
Yes, thank you. I often talk to people that say: "My dad left me a muzzle loader but I haven't looked at it in years..." I was thinking $200-250
or in that range. I don't need something pretty , I need a functional field piece; it will have a hard life, as I have.

Blessings,
LongBeard

I'd be totally flooned if Joe and Suzi couldn't fix you up. I've never been disappointed all the years I've been going there for stuff. Not guns, mind....sigh.................
I was just on their site. Most ran in the $500-700 range. I was thinking $200-250; I'll need to re-barrel it and add sights anyway.

Blessings,

LongBeard

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews