JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone,

I was looking for a used Lyman Great Plains Hunter, right hand, percussion cap rifle or a reasonable substitute.
I wanted a hooked barrel style so I can fit in a much larger bore like a .75 or 8 bore but I'd 'settle' for a .69.
What ever will fit comfortably in the channel. And the two wedges will help with the expected recoil to keep the piece tight.
I'll probably just take it to Joe & Suzi and see what I can fit in.

I like the Great Plains Hunter because I'm large (6'0", 225 & 6'4" fingertip to fingertip) and the length of pull &
weight are great for me. I know that Cabela's sells a Brown Bess smooth bore in .75 (flint I think) but I don't
want a military musket with barleycorn sights & barrel bands. If I can, I'll install express sights on the new rifle.

I looked at the G-Broker but the used ones are just as much as the new. Before I paid full price for my .54 I looked
at gun shows, etc. and found nothing. If anyone has one that hasn't seen use in a long time & needs a good home
or has a lead just let me know.

Blessings,

LongBeard

I have a couple and like the fact I can swap barrels on them. The one barrel that would be nice is a 'shotgun' muzzleloader. Saw one at a gun show years ago but regretfully passed on it.:( Converted a percussion to a 'flinter ' without a lot of effort. Good luck with your search.:cool:

We have a club shoot coming up and I'll ask around for ya , if you would like....
Andy
Yes, thank you. I often talk to people that say: "My dad left me a muzzle loader but I haven't looked at it in years..." I was thinking $200-250
or in that range. I don't need something pretty , I need a functional field piece; it will have a hard life, as I have.

Blessings,
LongBeard

I'd be totally flooned if Joe and Suzi couldn't fix you up. I've never been disappointed all the years I've been going there for stuff. Not guns, mind....sigh.................
I was just on their site. Most ran in the $500-700 range. I was thinking $200-250; I'll need to re-barrel it and add sights anyway.

Blessings,

LongBeard

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top