JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Barska Blackhawk 20x60x60.
I have a friend who is a birdwatcher and has a Swarovski spotting scope costing $3000.00 plus accessories. (his scope cover alone is more expensive than my Barska). We compared scopes. The Barska was equal in resolution at lower powers and much better at 60x. He is an optic snob and was pissed, but not enough to trade in his branded scope and get most of his money back. The Barska is sturdy, comes with a cover and a metal case and is $122.00 from Amazon. Probably cheaper used on eBay. Really good quality considering the price.

Norm

I have a friend who is a birdwatcher and has a Swarovski spotting scope costing $3000.00 plus accessories. (his scope cover alone is more expensive than my Barska). We compared scopes. The Barska was equal in resolution at lower powers and much better at 60x. He is an optic snob and was pissed, but not enough to trade in his branded scope and get most of his money back. The Barska is sturdy, comes with a cover and a metal case and is $122.00 from Amazon. Probably cheaper used on eBay. Really good quality considering the price.

Norm
I have the same one. I think it was $79 at Big 5 on clearance sale. Perfect for the range.

Yup, It's an amazingly good value. The optics are excellent, but I was a bit afraid the mechanism would be iffy. But it has been quite robust. $79.00 is a great deal.

Norm

While there are a number of decent ones out there you are likely going to have to spend about $200.-250.00 to really get a good one. In my opinion, the Leupold is the top of the line and will last a lifetime or two. I would suggest you get a photographers grade Tripod because that will even make a "Cheapee" perform better. If you put a Leupold on a cheap Tripod it's not going to work out.

Watch Craigslist, I picked up a Japanese spotting scope for $60 (it was manufactured in the 60's) and it is awesome. My friend wanted to trade his Nikon straight across because it has better glass in it.

Good input guys! It blows my mind at some of the prices of these scopes. I jest want to see 50-100 for sure. Maaaaaybe 200 yards sometime. And yes, holes in paper. And I do have a decent tripod for my camera too.

I went ahead and ordered the one in the link.

Last Edited:
As an NRA-RSO I find it's Very helpful to be able to "Spot" for a Shooter and then be able to use the same Scope for myself on the Bench. Bushnell makes a fine one that works well for me.

I just need something that won't break and will give me a decent view. Probably 200yds max. Most times less I would think.

This one says it's the old model, likely the reason for the steep discount.

Konus 15-45x60 Zoom Spotting Scope with Tripod 7112, 61% Off w/ Free S&H

Any other suggestions? Not going to go over $150.00, and rather do well less considering how seldom it would be used.

I have that Konus spotting scope and it's pretty good. The optics are very clear.

Watch Craigslist, I picked up a Japanese spotting scope for $60 (it was manufactured in the 60's) and it is awesome. My friend wanted to trade his Nikon straight across because it has better glass in it.
:s0101:

I picked up a Bausch & Lomb 20-60 X 70 scope with a good tripod for about $100 on Craig's List. This is a way better scope than the Barska that I bought a few years ago and any of the new entry level scopes that I've tried. It compares well to my Leuphold but has better magnification. The one limitation with 20X scopes is that they won't focus at very short distances. Where they run out of adjustment varies. I've used the B&L at 25 yards with no problem. 15 yards would probably be an issue. They also made a 15-60 X 60. Either one would probably make you a lot happier than a new scope in the same price range. As a bonus, it will perform well at longer distances in case that becomes an interest to you later.
1516999124441-dee9d82968b6d0dba9f2aa15a3a06392139244c94c43b670f2ef4bb022e14dc7.jpg

Last Edited:
While I have no use for a Second one I would have gladly pay $100.00 for another.:):):) I've been using mine for a good many years and it has proven it's self over and over.

Not at all surprised. If OP doesn't have them in-stock they will be more than happy to hold your money while they go looking. I've cancelled more than one order after getting the Crazy will ship in ___ days or weeks notice. They have even tried the old "Bait and Switch" bit by offering some other piece of gear.

Was that Optics Planet? Wretches are bombarding me with 2-3 emails EVERY DAY! I was going to make this order then opt out of the incessant emails.

Norm

Where the high end optics truely shine is in ultra low light conditions(pre-dawn etc) or also in poor visibility due to heat mirage.

Where the high end optics truely shine is in ultra low light conditions(pre-dawn etc) or also in poor visibility due to heat mirage.
I couldn't agree more. I've used my down at the NRA Whittington Center on the 1,000 yard line and wasn't having any trouble "Spotting" .30 caliber holds. And, of course, it works very well at the 200 & 600 yard Ranges, making the .30 caliber holes really show up.
Was that Optics Planet? Wretches are bombarding me with 2-3 emails EVERY DAY! I was going to make this order then opt out of the incessant emails.
Yes I was referring to Optics Planet. I just hope my mention of them here doesn't put me back on their "List":mad::mad::mad:. If it does, it's on your Head!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It took several times to get me off the List. I think they simply put me on the List for each and every one of their locations. They have more than one.:):):)

Anyway, the B&L, with a better than average Tripod(photo Quality), is truly an outstanding combination. :):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top