JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
like the title says, looking for a nice lever action. Want a classic looking one for the most part in terms of form. Stainless or blued does not matter too much to me.

Glanced online at Marlins, Henrys, and Winchesters. Any options from people on here which way to go? I want it in 30-30 probably or some other shouldered case. No straight wall.

thanks

I've owned and played with a lot of leverguns over the years. The one I always came back to, and the only one I've kept, is a pre-64, Winchester 1894 in .30∕30 WCF. There is just something about how it handles. So, a vote for the '94.

That said, Marlin used to make some decent leverguns, though I didn't like them as much as the Winchester. There are a ton of them on the used market that can be had at reasonable rates. The last NIB Marlin I owned had serious quality control issues that resulted in two trips back to the factory on my dime. So, it is very unlikely I'd ever buy a new one of theirs again.

Cheers.

like the title says, looking for a nice lever action. Want a classic looking one for the most part in terms of form. Stainless or blued does not matter too much to me.

Glanced online at Marlins, Henrys, and Winchesters. Any options from people on here which way to go? I want it in 30-30 probably or some other shouldered case. No straight wall.

thanks

Go talk to Alan at Tigard Pawn 4 More. Just talked to him earlier - he was asking if I knew anyone looking for a pre-64 Winchester 94 in .30-30 - he has one he's interested in selling. Not sure of the price, but I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you.

You can't go wrong with the makes that you mentioned. Any of them would be good to have. Might I also add Savage 99 in .308 to the mix? They also have them in .243 and 300 Savage.

Winchesters are ugly! :s0002:

DSCN4354 (2).JPG

I've owned and played with a lot of leverguns over the years. The one I always came back to, and the only one I've kept, is a pre-64, Winchester 1894 in .30∕30 WCF. There is just something about how it handles. So, a vote for the '94.

That said, Marlin used to make some decent leverguns, though I didn't like them as much as the Winchester. There are a ton of them on the used market that can be had at reasonable rates. The last NIB Marlin I owned had serious quality control issues that resulted in two trips back to the factory on my dime. So, it is very unlikely I'd ever buy a new one of theirs again.

Cheers.
I have a Winchester 94 in 30/30 wcf, a flat band from 1946 or 1947, i can't remember which. The new Marlins feel like nerf guns in comparison.

I like the pre-64 Winchester 94 series of rifles.
The carbines are handy but do not fit me at all.
The Marlin 36 and 336 in the Sporting Carbine versions are my favorite.
Savage also made the 99 in .30-30 , but its kinda hard to find and a bit pricey.
Andy

I've taken a lot of deer with a Marlin 336C 30-30 that i bought in 1977.
Always had iron sights and it has worked flawlessly.
It kicks like a mule but then I reload it on the warm side...

I've always wanted a Marlin 336ER since I was a kid. I recently picked up a Marlin 1895GBL in 45-70. Oregon Rifle Works gave me a square deal on it and got it to me in about a week. Love the way it feels.
Going to shoot it next week.

IMG_20161021_160226.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews