JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Started checking out some 45-70's....i like. Anyways my LGS has a nice pre-owned Henry H010 in 45-70 and an older Marlin 336 in 30-30. Henry: $595 Marlin: $350.

The Henry looks line a nicer rifle.

Curious, anyone here own a lever action in .357? I am considering going in this direction for ammo compatibility reasons.

Would be very interested in hearing about your personal experience.....
What applications do you use it for, effective range, etc.?

I can summarize the 357 lver gun in one word. SWEET!. mine is named SUGAR.

350 is a fair price for the 30-30.

+1 for the Marlin 336 30/30 levers! Got mine as an anniversary addition, Half round, half octagonal barrel with nice walnut stock and fancy checkering! Matches the anniversary 1896 .40/70 I picked up in '96 LOVE the marlin lever actions, SO smooth!!!

Yea it seems levers in ANY caliber have really been 'drying up' lately. They don't last long on the shelves of my LGS I hit up regularly. I see a lot More people saying they 'Want a lever action rifle' these days which is probably a good thing. I have never given up on levers and own several.
Probably because if Oregon goes the way of NY,NJ,CA, etc then lever actions will be the only thing left available due to the general lack of evil features on them. With the current left leaning idiot voters in place it's likely not a far off matter. Good luck.

Probably because if Oregon goes the way of NY,NJ,CA, etc then lever actions will be the only thing left available due to the general lack of evil features on them.
I would like to think people would buy a lever gun on the merit of the gun itself as opposed to an 'alternative' to something....

I recently traded for a Rossi '92 in 44-40 , nice gun but I don't get to shoot it much because my wife glommed on to it and shoots up all the ammo I make for it. If I was looking for another lever gun I'd look at the Savage 99 in 300 savage, .308, .243 or 35 Remington.

I have always considered a good lever as a nice addition to any collection, they make great hunting rifles for Western brush busting and when shots are under 300 yards, they also make an awesome Large, dangerous Predator Hunting rifle when danger gets Very close! Most hunting I do is with a Bolt, but I could easily switch back to a lever at any time and be happy for it!

Started checking out some 45-70's....i like. Anyways my LGS has a nice pre-owned Henry H010 in 45-70 and an older Marlin 336 in 30-30. Henry: $595 Marlin: $350.

The Henry looks line a nicer rifle.
Two completely different calibers. Henry may be newer and fired less,as 45/70s tend to be. And wouldn't discount the marlin if is JB stamped.

For a good all round Lever action in .45/70 the Marlin XLR Stainless laminate is just about Bomb Proof, and VERY accurate! wm_2408413.jpg

Love the 94's Ive had a handful of them. I was given a beat up marlin 336 in 35 rem, both pieces of wood were broken and looked like someone took #40 sand paper to the bluing so it was beyond getting back to original. After kicking it around in my closet for about 10 yrs I figured I'd do something with it. The mechanics were tight and beautiful rifling. Its not your average lever gun anymore, still needs the proper scout or pistol scope, the one on it was one I had laying around. I love the fiber optics ghost ring sights. For a "truck" gun its really grown on me. The 35 Rem has great k.o. power and is a blast to shoot. I like shooting this one even more than the 94 in 30-30 but as far as a classic the 94 wins hands down. 20160130_155819.jpg 20160128_173703.jpg 20160128_182209.jpg

I've had a couple of 94"s and a Marlin, but the best lever gun ever for me is a Winchester Model 88. I've had 3 over the years and stupidly now have done. Upside - very good looking, as strong an action as most bolt guns, nostalgia. Downside - a very difficult firearm to disassemble and clean. You can still find them and depending on your definition of affordable ($500 to $900) they are available. The post 64 models have a rather ugly pressed basket weave checkering. Pre 64 are conventionally checkered and look much better.

I've had a couple of 94"s and a Marlin, but the best lever gun ever for me is a Winchester Model 88. I've had 3 over the years and stupidly now have done. Upside - very good looking, as strong an action as most bolt guns, nostalgia. Downside - a very difficult firearm to disassemble and clean. You can still find them and depending on your definition of affordable ($500 to $900) they are available. The post 64 models have a rather ugly pressed basket weave checkering. Pre 64 are conventionally checkered and look much better.

Meh - to each their own.

Personally, I never cared for those or the Savage lever actions. I just don't like how they look compared to something like a Marlin 336 or Win '94

A BLR is about as close to that as I can go and still like the looks of it.

Model 88s were essentially a bolt gun operated by a lever. Super accurate. I have post-64 in 98% condition. Mine is 308 scoped. Accuracy is excellent.

BLR is a similar design and super accurate as well.

Model 88s were essentially a bolt gun operated by a lever. Super accurate. I have post-64 in 98% condition. Mine is 308 scoped. Accuracy is excellent.

BLR is a similar design and super accurate as well.

Yeah, I just don't care for the sloping design of the rear of the action down to the buttstock. Same with the Savage. The BLR has a more square looking receiver.

Totally cosmetic I know, but there it is.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top