JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TRpBxLbxhAo#t=25

Tibasaurousrex has about 262 vids, most are dedicated to the creation feed and care of true long range rifles, about 35 hours of vid on how to master the long range shot
The above link deals with his choice of "budget scope" that will get you out to 1000 yards. I have the SWFA 10X Super Sniper, it is very rugged and clear, a steal @ $300

Last Edited:
I just started watching the Tibasaurousrex vids about 2 months ago. Good stuff, really help prep me for the 600 yard clinic out at Tri-County Gun Club. Was within 1 click my first time out to 600 yards and shot a 194/200 my first 20 rounds for score. I wish I would have seen his stuff a few years back before I bought the scope I did. Water under the bridge....

I just started watching the Tibasaurousrex vids about 2 months ago. Good stuff, really help prep me for the 600 yard clinic out at Tri-County Gun Club. Was within 1 click my first time out to 600 yards and shot a 194/200 my first 20 rounds for score. I wish I would have seen his stuff a few years back before I bought the scope I did. Water under the bridge....
Due to his vids I'm reconcidering my next scope buy but due to my AO I do need am illuminated zoom scope otherwise I would opt for a 12X SWFA SS and save a few $100

Budget scope. Barska varmint. I've been to a thousand with one.

However I've learned my lesson with budget. Is recommend spending a bit more. Perhaps Leupold, it's about half way there on the spectrum of Barska to Zeiss.

Barska 3.5 ~10 SWAT 30mm tube for knockin around, in Oregon you HAVE to go to the Leupold Factory and have a custom scope made up for your gun and load, there is no substitute. Barska has a nice MilDot Reticle

8541 Tactical has a good YouTube channel as well. There is also the Snipers Hide forum dedicated to long range shooting.

I have a Vortex Viper the I have been happy with ($900 - 1,000).

MOA or Mil is just like inches or feet. They both measure angle and both work. It comes down more to personal preference and what you develop a comfort and proficiency with. Just make sure the reticle and the windage and elevation adjustments match. Unless you really enjoy mental math you don't want to try and figure out how to make a 3 MOA adjustment with Mil turrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9fe4l_CAthI&list=WL
New Vid
Published on May 27, 2014
Are Super Sniper scopes really military issue? Are SWFA scopes made by Tasco? Who uses SWFA SS scopes? What is the truth behind the Super Sniper scope line? How much recoil can Super Sniper scopes really take? Are the new variable SS scopes as tough as the fixed power models?

In this video review, Rex answers your questions regarding the history and development of the SWFA SS scope lineup. Rex also shares his opinions on the new SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP variable scope and tests its performance. Learn new tips that may help you to avoid issues with these scopes.

SWFA FACTS:
Navy Contract # N00164-93-C-205

In 1993, the Crane Division of the Naval Surface Warfare Center sent out a solicitation contract for a 10x sniper scope with very specific features. Several companies submitted scopes specially built to the contract specifications. The Navy bought a large number of the Super Sniper product under the contract #N00164-93-C-205.

The SS scope were built from the ground up to meet the United States Navy's specifications concerning durability, resolution, adjustment travel, etc.

Tasco originally fulfilled the Navy contract obligations, but SWFA later bought the rights to the Super Sniper line.

The SWFA SS is made in Japan, which is a good thing. Nightforce, Nikon and many other premium optics companies have their products manufactured in Japan as opposed to China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines etc... Japanese optics are well respected and generally exhibit superior quality when compared to other Pacific / Asian made products.

SWFA currently sells the SS 10x42 rear parallax to the U.S. Army for use on their M1A/M14 designated marksmen rifles in large numbers and smaller numbers for AR variants, and .50 BMGs.

SWFA Super Sniper scopes have a lifetime warranty and they stand behind it... if you ever do manage to break it, they will fix it or replace it.

Budget scope. Barska varmint. I've been to a thousand with one.

However I've learned my lesson with budget. Is recommend spending a bit more. Perhaps Leupold, it's about half way there on the spectrum of Barska to Zeiss.

I would promptly steer you away from barska... nearly every one of their scopes I have looked at have horrific parallax issues, which means unless your cheek weld is exactly the same in every position you shoot (and especially important shot to shot). As for cheaper scopes... take a look at tasco, they got bought out by bushnell rather recently, and many of bushnell's lower end scopes have been pushed over to the tasco line.

As far as the middle of the road goes, I'm a huge fan of the Burris Fullfield II line, usually in the $300 range depending on features, size and magnification. Leopold makes some great scopes, but few of them have all the features I'm looking for until I'm starting to spend ziess conquest kinda money, at which point I may as well spring for the swarovski.

Generally, what I want in a scope:

Decent multi-coated optics
Mil-Dot reticle
Target turrets
40+mm OBJ lens
3-4" of eye relief
Variable power 5-20x or there abouts.

I have this Millett scope mounted on my 300 WinMag. My brother bought it as my birthday present several years ago (now THAT is a budget scope). Have had it for several years now and shoot it regularly to 1000 yards. Past 1000 the optics are not all that good for target acquisition, but the return to zero has always been flawless and the guts have not shot loose under the repeated recoil. Guys with much more expensive scopes & rifles have been impressed with the performance. It is not Night Force, Leupold or Ziess, but hey, we're talking budget scopes, right? Bushnell is the distributor.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/74...mil-dotbar-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

IOR Valdada, get ready to sell your car. Truly world class optics. possibly Steiner too. A really good scope makes all the difference, I always plan on spending AT LEAST as much on a scope as I have spent on the rifle. It's just the way it is.

I have been reluctant to buy a budget scope for my AR50 - the optics themselves may be adequate, but I wasn't sure that the construction could withstand the recoil.

I don't really want to spend the money on a Nightforce either.

Since I can't find a range in western Oregon (at least within an hour of Portland anyway) that will let me shoot .50 BMG much less has 1000+ yards, I am selling the rifle.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top