JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the offer but unless it's a left handed version, I'm out of luck. I tried the whole right handed bolt action shooting left handed thing and it just isn't easy for me.

I would go 7mm mag great caliber... Just bought a Browning Xbolt 7mm mag and like you I am also a left handed shooter an the gun is great.

There are firearms Mfgs. that make left handed bolt actions guns. You might also consider a pump or semi auto, but those usually have calibers up to 30-06, which would be fine if you didn't want to shoot at anything at real long range as you specified.

The 30-06 is plenty of gun for any game that walks on this continent, but for kill shots, I would want to keep it under 300 yards. If you want to shoot further than that, a magnum would be a better choice.

One thing you will need to do is practice a lot with whatever you choose to shoot. Even a magnum caliber will only wound an animal if you don't hit in a vital spot with the first shot. Elk seem to be particularly tough in that area. I have heard stories of elk running a long way after a heart shot.
You will need to practice field shooting from standing and kneeling positions. not from a bench.

Personally, I have decided to stop hunting elk and deer. I plan to hunt predators exclusively ( coyotes and cougers).
That will mean more game for others to harvest, and if I can kill a few dogs and cats, that will mean even more for the rest of you.

One thing you will need to do is practice a lot with whatever you choose to shoot. Even a magnum caliber will only wound an animal if you don't hit in a vital spot with the first shot. Elk seem to be particularly tough in that area. I have heard stories of elk running a long way after a heart shot.
You will need to practice field shooting from standing and kneeling positions. not from a bench.

Thanks for the advice, I have only shot from a bench once in my life and really didn't like it. I found someone to trade my right handed rifle to for a 7mm Mag and am meeting them next weekend to trade. Either before or after I meet them and swap rifles my next stop is Three Forks Reloading store for supplies to include some loaded ammunition for practice. After that, I need to find range in Yakima to sight in (I won't be at home next weekend) and practice. Then time to use the cases to reload and practice some more before next season.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top