Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking for a decent lake I can canoe on

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ejmpnu92, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

Hey guys, having just moved here in late November, I do not know this area very well, just need a little help finding a decent lake to canoe on. Yeah, I know I have a few months before I am even going to think about putting it in the water, but for the first time in my life (other than the service) I have a job where I get paid vacations.:thumbup:
    My current location is in west Portland(Washington county), just north of Hillsboro and Beaverton.
    Just in case you want to know, it is a 17ft maine guide, ceder ribs and planking, canvas exterior. Just finished a 2 year restoration on it, replace ribs and planking, and new canvas.
    Storage is another problem, but I am going to build a room at my work for my tools so I am going to store it on top of that. Now just need to buy a truck and build a rack on it, lol.:huh:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WOW a Lake in Oregon you can Canoe on Now thats a tough one LOL. I assume you want to drive up and throw it in rather then any portage?

You need a Benchmark Road and Recreation map for Oregon Most amazing resource for planning outdoor trips. Combine the Atlas with Google or Bing 3d maps on line and you can find almost anything in Oregon.

Amazon.com carries them.

http://www.amazon.com/Benchmark-Ore...1623/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294603991&sr=8-4

best $15.00 someone into the outdoors in Oregon can spend. Ours is an older edition and nearly worn out from all the road trips and adventure planning we have used it for. Maybe I'll order a new one.

3. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lovely canoe! A nice lake nearby is Hagg Lake, near Gaston. The upper part is nicest for canoes.

4. 4dogs

4dogs 3 miles from the range Active Member

Gold Lake is a very pretty, small lake in the Willamette Pass area east of Eugene. Right now it's inaccessible unless you ski in. No motors allowed, fly fishing only
    (at least it was the last time I was up there).

It's about 45 miles east of Eugene just west on Willamette Pass on the north side of the highway (Hwy 58).

5. ejmpnu92

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help, just needed a point in the right direction. Just can't wait for spring.

6. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Might take a look at the Willamette Slough area near Sauvies Island, it is part of the river but the water is slow and many use it for kayaking and canoeing.

7. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

I officially second the suggestion of Gold Lake, that was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title. Hands down the best spot I've encountered in the whole state for canoeing, and last summer at least the fishing was great too.

8. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

And if you are in for a bigger treat...just go a few miles more and try Waldo Lake. The largest alpine lake in the state and it offers endless adventure.

9. Bad Droid

Bad Droid Hillsbarrio Member

And if you are on the west side you can also try Lost lake, its off of Lower Nehalem Rd/Foss road towards the coast off 26. Might want to wait until spring time :)

10. hapuna

hapuna Seattle, WA Member

Is there a lake in Lake Oswego??? Sounds not too far from where this guy is. I am from WA so not sure.

11. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Go to Bend and up on the other side of bachlor.
    Pick a lake.

12. ejmpnu92

Just remembered where I kept my photos of the said canoe, here it is:
    IM000159.jpg
    IM000158.jpg
    IM000155.jpg

13. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

Very nice!!!

14. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

After the weather gets better and if you are willing to make a little bit of a drive, Trillium Lake up on Mt Hood is gorgeous with easy access, trout fishing, camping, and a breathtaking view or Mt Hood.

15. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

I second the My. Hood area its very nice up there. Timothy lake is another nice one, but you'll have to wait til late spring early summer to get into some of them due to all the snow. Nice looking canoe BTW