JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a pretty exhaustive listing of firearms, types, subtypes and their values go to:

Three-day access is $4.99, for a year you can pay $2.99/mo. or $27.99 up front saving you some money.

Thousands of firearms are listed, along with pretty comprehensive detail of types and sub-types. Then a price range is given over a number of different levels of condition.

You can look at a particular firearm to see everything but prices without paying. That will allow you to see what they offer and to check if they have data on a particular firearm that you may be valuing. Even if you only have a few firearms to sell, you could easily save the subscription price be avoiding one bad transaction.

Perhaps a bit of a drive, but I reached out to Gator's Guns in Kelso a while back and they stated that they do appraisals.

While you could probably get a fine and accurate value just by sleuthing the interwebs along with input from this forum, I'm guessing you need values that are documented on some sort of letterhead from a firearms dealer or FFL for probate purposes?

Look at GunBroker
but

ONLY AT GUNS THAT ARE BEING BID ON.
If you register for gun broker you can search the ended auctions and get pricing on the items that sold with an auction. It is very good for all but rare or custom firearms. It is by far more accurate than an appraisal and likely where appraisers get their database information.

A Google search shows there are plenty of "certified firearms appraisers" listed by google. Many were retail gun stores. I suspect the latter can represent somewhat of a conflict of interest unless the terms include that the person requesting appraisal will not under any circumstances sell gun to store doing appraisal. There are offerings of courses in becoming a certified firearms appraiser. But it isn't obvious that the courses have any particular standing. It isnt obvious that you need any license or courses to set up as a firearms appraiser either.

Gunbroker isn't a good valuation for guns in an estate, even if you use only the completed sales. Since it is a national market, large audience, and includes many guns for which the seller will list the gun in auction after auction for months without selling it, it comes closer to top dollar that can be obtained with great work for ordinary guns rather than the price if you don't want to list for more than a month. An exception might be very rare guns or collectors items where specialized auctions or sales might be required to even get into the right order of magnitude.

I think if you are trying to get appraisal for an estate you would be best off with an appraiser only rather than someone involved in buying and selling too. And someone used to doing the paperwork involved in such a way that there is a legally valid record that an executor of a will can present to heirs. You can find firearms appraisers on the internet that explicitly state they appraise only. Some appraisers are operating online only. Not sure I would have much confidence in these, as evaluating condition is the difference between a gun worth $3000 and one worth nothing except as parts.

I have no idea yet. Running blind on this one so far.
I have a friend who was buying insurance for his firearms and the insurance agent had a list of "accredited" appraisers for him.
It turned out most of those appraisers were owners/employees of Gun Shops in the area, places we did business with all the time.
Check the websites or call the shops near you, as they may do appraisals, or Bing search for gun appraisers in your area.

...or what until Antiques Road Show comes to your town. (kidding)
jmo,

Last Edited:
Friend needs a licensed firearms appraiser due to a death in the family. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Munk
How many guns, and types (rifle/handgun) are we talking about here? If these guns are going to be sold the owner of said guns should plan on paying someone for their time. I know a couple of gentlemen that may be appropriate for valuing the guns but which one depends partly on whether we're talking old/ say pre '50s? And post '50s. I would think someone who sells for the owner will likely get the best price because the seller/middle man will get a cut. They also have access to the most possible buyers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top