JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm doing research into a first pistol for my fiancé. I know a little bit about what I am looking for and hope some of you can guide me to some suggestions.

She likes the grip feel of a 1911 (who doesn't), and I know nothing about them.
She would like something rather compact. (3.5" barrel?).
Lightweight. She likes the weight of my PPQ, but understands there may be some extra weight, minimal is better).
This seems to be the biggest thing, Lightweight recoil spring. Working the action of a semi-auto is rather difficult for her. (I recommended a revolver, but at this point she's not interested in one).
i was thinking 9mm, due to the size she is looking for, plus wanting a lighter recoil spring. But open to consider all ideas.

Looking for 1911 or non 1911 suggestions.
-She has held, looked at the sig 938 and found that to be too small, hopefully that helps a bit as well.

Thanks for your help all.
I have come across the Sig EMP or Dan Wesson ECO and will look into them.

http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp/

I've never had my hands on one, but I would love to explore this; it comes in a 9mm and I believe a .40...
totally redesigned to accommodate the lack of strength in many women's hands for both recoil management and slide maneuverability. Not crazy about a take down tool required for disassembly, but possibly the pros outweigh the cons in performance. I recommend this model in my classes, but they are extremely difficult to find.

I would really suggest if at all possible she try one before buying, though...it's kind of like buying shoes; needs to be a good fit for her hands, comfortable to shoot, and concealable...and only a woman can decide that...;);)

Just my two cents...:rolleyes:

It really depends on how familiar that she is with firearms. Is she recoil sensitive? Has she shot anything small? A small caliber in a small gun can be a handful. Shooting 38+P in a SW642 is downright painful, I'd rather shoot full house .44 mag's all day over a 642 with defensive ammo.

The Sig938 is the closest thing to a small 1911 in 9mm. Other than the beavertail safety, the controls are similar. Although, I hate the way that the gun breaks down, John Moses Browning used a recoil spring plug for a reason.

That said, a small .45 may be too much recoil for her. I personally like the Sig938, and the grip isn't too bad when you use the pinky extension mag. Also, what's her intended purpose? Carry? Target?

I've never had my hands on one, but I would love to explore this; it comes in a 9mm and I believe a .40...
totally redesigned to accommodate the lack of strength in many women's hands for both recoil management and slide maneuverability. Not crazy about a take down tool required for disassembly, but possibly the pros outweigh the cons in performance. I recommend this model in my classes, but they are extremely difficult to find.

I would really suggest if at all possible she try one before buying, though...it's kind of like buying shoes; needs to be a good fit for her hands, comfortable to shoot, and concealable...and only a woman can decide that...;);)

I'm a Walther guy so thats on my personal list, I also work for A retailer and they have yet to hit our store even though they have been on order forever. Im not sure I want the gas blowback of it.

S&W Shield would be my thought. Mine's a 40, but a 9mm might be preferable. I can't tell you how difficult it would be for her to rack the slide, but my wife is fairly small and she can operate the slide on my shield.

Or look at some of the "officer size" (often called compact) 1911 single stacks. I had a Para P12, but being a double stack it had a pretty thick grip. The Colt Officers I had was nice, but being steel framed it was a bit heavier than many other guns it's size.

Your best bet is to go to a gun store that has a range on-site, I recommend the Marksman in Puallup. They have free rentals on Wednesdays. Meaning you can try out all the rental guns for free!!!!!

My wife also didn't really know what she wanted so I suggested that we both go & shoot to find that magic fit. She wound up choosing the XDM40 3.8 full size frame & I the same platform but in the compact model for CC.

I see so many adds here selling handguns because they didn't like them after they bought and then shot them. A waste of time, energy and $$$$ if you ask me. I'll never buy something without making danm sure I shoot & like it first...;)

Good luck.

Your best bet is to go to a gun store that has a range on-site, I recommend the Marksman in Puallup. They have free rentals on Wednesdays. Meaning you can try out all the rental guns for free!!!!!

I see so many adds here selling handguns because they didn't like them after they bought and then shot them. A waste of time, energy and $$$$ if you ask me. I'll never buy something without making danm sure I shoot & like it first...;)

Good luck.

I definitely plan on going this route as best I can, Just looking for options to try and track down. Its always easy to tell if the physical fit isn't right just from picking up at a store. And thats step 1. Step 2 is to find a range with a few of the options she has liked.

S&W Shield would be my thought. Mine's a 40, but a 9mm might be preferable. I can't tell you how difficult it would be for her to rack the slide, but my wife is fairly small and she can operate the slide on my shield.

Or look at some of the "officer size" (often called compact) 1911 single stacks. I had a Para P12, but being a double stack it had a pretty thick grip. The Colt Officers I had was nice, but being steel framed it was a bit heavier than many other guns it's size.

The shield has been in consideration, but looking into the 1911 realm first. *kinda* thanks for the suggestion on the "officer" size 1911

Vierings, it it easy for women to rack the slide of an auto pistol, even petite gals, it's all in the technique!
Grasp the grips in the strong hand and bring the pistol close to the chest, pointing downward. Next, grasp the slide firmly with the off hand, thumb in, (toward the chest) fingers out. Now, while holding the slide in place, drive the grip downward, cycling the action.
If more clarification is needed, I've seen it done on Utube. Best of luck!

I'm doing research into a first pistol for my fiancé. I know a little bit about what I am looking for and hope some of you can guide me to some suggestions.

She likes the grip feel of a 1911 (who doesn't), and I know nothing about them.
She would like something rather compact. (3.5" barrel?).
Lightweight. She likes the weight of my PPQ, but understands there may be some extra weight, minimal is better).
This seems to be the biggest thing, Lightweight recoil spring. Working the action of a semi-auto is rather difficult for her. (I recommended a revolver, but at this point she's not interested in one).
i was thinking 9mm, due to the size she is looking for, plus wanting a lighter recoil spring. But open to consider all ideas.

Looking for 1911 or non 1911 suggestions.
-She has held, looked at the sig 938 and found that to be too small, hopefully that helps a bit as well.

Thanks for your help all.
I have come across the Sig EMP or Dan Wesson ECO and will look into them.

Tell her to just pick up a Kimber Ultra Carry once. Just once :)

This (Walther CCP) would be my first choice for her IF YOU COULD FIND ONE.....:(

All I could say after getting my wife her first gun, pretty much OUR first gun actually, is don't go with a compact or sub-compact. Short barrel, short sight radius means harder to aim well. Smaller/compact guns would generally be a little harder to cycle due to the heavier recoil springs needed to keep them from beating themselves to death. And, smaller guns will have more felt recoil. If she has hands that like the feel of a full size 1911, there are a bunch of guns out there. If going with a full size 1911 you can get thinner grips that would make a difference to her also.

A larger gun is just a better gun for a beginner in my limited experience.

Mike

This (Walther CCP) would be my first choice for her IF YOU COULD FIND ONE.....:(

I totally agree!!!
I have a local gun store that I asked to find one to keep in stock for my students to handle, and he has been waiting for 6 months or so, but it is always allocated. They have plenty of beautiful CCP ads in magazines, so you would think they were out there SOMEWHERE!! o_O

Vierings, it it easy for women to rack the slide of an auto pistol, even petite gals, it's all in the technique!
Grasp the grips in the strong hand and bring the pistol close to the chest, pointing downward. Next, grasp the slide firmly with the off hand, thumb in, (toward the chest) fingers out. Now, while holding the slide in place, drive the grip downward, cycling the action.
If more clarification is needed, I've seen it done on Utube. Best of luck!

It's true, to a point; add in age and stiff, arthritic joints, though, and even that is not possible....I've seen it quite a few times in class. I encourage them to get a stress ball or grip exerciser to increase grip strength, which actually does help...
Those who really can't rack the slide then ask about the revolver, until they try the 12-14 lb trigger pull...:(

Last Edited:
general rule: the smaller the gun, the harder it will be to be acurate with it. With that it is also likely that the newer shooter will get discouraged and give it up. I have trained many shooters with the S&W model 10 4" square butt, not many complained about the trigger pull. And all found it easier to transition from a revolver to a semi automatic once the basics were learned on the revolver.

12-14 pound trigger pull in D/A? Really? Must have been a real piece.

(if she liked the 1911 have her hold a hipower, she might just fall for it, plus it's a 9mm)

Last Edited:
My wife likes her glock 19 and her XD compact 9mm. The XDM 45 has too strong a spring for her to rack the slide.

you can also try to find a range with rentals (assuming that is still legal) and try out a few.

When you choose to own or carry a firearm, practice is critical. If you can't accurately and comfortably shoot the gun, it's not much more than an expensive rock. When you go the range, it should be a fun experience, not a painful one. Unfortunately, many of the "mouse guns" really aren't that much fun to shoot so keep that in mind as well.

Guns for weak or arthritic hands...need to be easy to chamber, unload, and easy on the recoil...tip-up barrels are the easiest. Beretta's Bobcat (ya, a 22), Tomcat (a 32) or Cheetah 86 (380 out of prod but available). They all have safeties, all DA/SA.
Taurus has 2 copies of the Bobcat (but DA only) the newest polymer one is very comfortable. The PT22 has a bazillion finish and grip choices. I've never (4000 rds) ever had a problem with my Bobcat...and it will fit in your cummerbund, a tiny purse, or the slot in the dash where you toss your gum and matches.

The heft of the Bursa CC Thunder gives it an easy to handle recoil and it's relatively easy to rack. It's much like the Walther PPK it's modeled after, but better built and without the Walther's "slide bite guarantee". I have one in all stainless and I love to shoot it, sights are mediocre but it naturally points well and is surprisingly very accurate, an excellent value. The trigger is sweet! I haven't tried their compact 9mm yet.

I recently tried (borrowed) a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm, and a Stoeger (owned by Beretta) Cougar compact 9mm (also comes in .40). They are basically the same gun but not twins (Stoeger is the pretty one, PX4 is the tomboy?) ... the difference is the Stoeger is all metal and about a hundred bucks less. The Stoeger has the beretta 92 traditional look (gorgeous). Both use the same rotating chamber design . Both were easy to rack (about the same as a Ruger SR22). and both were shoot-all-day-comfortable and exceptionally easy to control. The rotating barrels allow for a lighter recoil spring and are quite easy to rack. The PX4 has 3 backstraps to tailor fit to your hand, a rail, and field strips like a Glock. Both have safety de-cockers, are DA/SA. Biggest problem with these guns is I WANT BOTH!

Most of the tiny 380, 9mm mouse guns HURT LIKE CRAZY and because they are hard to control can frighten or discourage a beginner. I would never attempt to start a newb (male or female) out with one...

Last Edited:
Tell her to just pick up a Kimber Ultra Carry once. Just once :)
While ordinarily a Shield fan, Kimber makes some nice 1911s. I don't like most .45s, but the Kimber 1911 in .45 I recently shot was like squeezing a stick of butter. Super smooth and really natural to shoot.
Is it just the grip of the 1911 that she enjoys or are there other features with it that she likes?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top